What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spotted Horses, Mandryka, Harry and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Biffo

Vaughan Williams: Symphony No 8 in D minor - Hallé Orchestra conducted by Sir Mark Elder

Iota

Quote from: Brewski on July 02, 2022, 06:13:51 PM
Sibelius: Symphony No. 7 (Frankfurt Radio Symphony / Paavo Järvi, conductor, recorded 19 May 2022) - Lovely. With a ton of live performances over the last few years, this group is getting lots of well-deserved exposure. Osmo Vänskä is probably my "go-to" for this piece, but this is well worth a listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bi9QiDrJJmw

--Bruce

For me too. Particularly the Minnesota recording in this symphony.  :)

Here:

Richard Pygott: Salve Regina
Blue Heron, Scott Metcalfe

Pygott's serenely lovely polyphony and the beauty of Blue Heron's performance, give this disc a special place in my esteem.  The way alterations of mouth shape around different syllables produce ever-changing hues and colours in the music has a lovely clarity. And the music seems to radiate a kind of perfect spiritual peace, so tangible in musical form.

VonStupp

Sergei Prokofiev
Chout Suite, op. 21a
The Love for Three Oranges Suite, op. 33a
Waltz Suite, op. 110

Scottish NO - Neeme Järvi
(rec. 1984/5)

For this morning/afternoon:

VS

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

DavidW

Quote from: absolutelybaching on July 03, 2022, 05:30:07 AM
Robert Schumann's Symphony No. 4 
    Riccardo Muti, New Philharmonia Orchestra

You reminded me that I still wanted to listen to Barenboim's Schumann.  So I went to stream it... and it is gone.  Just gone. :'(

Tsaraslondon

Andrew Davis is an experienced Vaughan Williams conductor and this live 2007 Proms performance, before an admirably quiet and attentive audience, is very good indeed.

The Mass in G Minor under Andrew Carwood was recorded the same year in All Saints Church, Tooting and is also very fine.
\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

Karl Henning

Quote from: VonStupp on July 03, 2022, 06:47:55 AM
Sergei Prokofiev
Chout Suite, op. 21a
The Love for Three Oranges Suite, op. 33a
Waltz Suite, op. 110

Scottish NO - Neeme Järvi
(rec. 1984/5)

For this morning/afternoon:

VS

Very nice!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: absolutelybaching on July 03, 2022, 07:30:12 AM
Erich Korngold's String Sextet, Op. 10 
    Doric String Quartet, Jennifer Stumm (viola), Bartholomew LaFollette (cello)

There's another piece I love!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mirror Image

Before heading off to hell work:

Ives
The Unanswered Question
Central Park in the Dark

New York PO
Bernstein

Ives is such a huge influence on me. Along with Bartók, he was the first classical composer I seriously got into. Loved his music instantly.

vandermolen

Quote from: Tsaraslondon on July 03, 2022, 01:52:45 AM

Superb Gramophone Award winning recording of the original version of Vaughan Williams' Second Symphony.
+1 One of my Desert Island discs!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

SonicMan46

Tartini, Giuseppe (1692-1770) - Concertos & Sonatas w/ Elizabeth Wallfisch from the first two discs below in the top row - all that I own; but he wrote hundreds of violin works (concertos, sonatas, trio sonatas, etc.) - for those ambitious collectors see the last pic top row - a 29-CD box of about 135 Violin Concertos w/ the period performers L'Arte Dell Arco - well, not for me, BUT I decided to add several more recordings, bottom row, Vol. 10 (2 discs) from the BIG BOX and 2 discs of flute concerti & violin sonatas (including Devil's Trill) w/ the period group Ensemble Respighi (first purchase used from the Amazon MP, second from BRO).  Dave :)

QuoteGiuseppe Tartini was an Italian composer and violinist of the Baroque era born in Venice. Tartini was a profilic composer, composing over a hundred of pieces for the violin with the majority of them being violin concertos. However, today he is most famously remembered for his Violin Sonata in G Minor ('Devil's Trill Sonata'). Tartini was the first known owner of a violin made by Antonio Stradivari in 1715. (Source)

Florestan

QuoteGiuseppe Tartini was an Italian composer and violinist of the Baroque era born in Venice.

Wrong. He was born in Pirano, now Piran, Slovenia. The confusion might stem from the fact that back then Piran (as well as the whole coastline of present-day Slovenia and Croatia) was part of the Venetian Republic.

I have and enjoy that mega-box of violin concertos. For me, Tartini, Locatelli and Vivaldi are the holy trinity of Italian violin concertos / sonatas.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Karl Henning

Continuing US Music Weekend with the Atlantic Sinfonietta playing Aaron Copland's Appalachian Spring and Samuel Barber's Cave of the Heart.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Traverso

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on July 03, 2022, 04:37:27 AM
Looks very interesting. I will look for the recording.
A few years ago you posted a disc of Iranian/Persian music issued from Deutsche Hamonia Mundi. What was the name?

You have a pm  :)

SonicMan46

Quote from: Florestan on July 03, 2022, 09:22:07 AM
Wrong. He was born in Pirano, now Piran, Slovenia. The confusion might stem from the fact that back then Piran (as well as the whole coastline of present-day Slovenia and Croatia) was part of the Venetian Republic.

I have and enjoy that mega-box of violin concertos. For me, Tartini, Locatelli and Vivaldi are the holy trinity of Italian violin concertos / sonatas.

Hi Andrei - well, I did a little editing - the Wiki link states that he was born in the 'Republic of Venice', which I assume agrees w/ your first statement above - thanks for the clarification; next time I'll not delete obviously important references -  :laugh:

And I completely agree w/ your last statement (put in bold above) - own a LOT more Locatelli and Vivaldi, but have 3 additional discs of Tartini now ordered - cannot convince myself to purchase a 29-disc box, though - Dave :)

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

prémont

Quote from: Operafreak on July 03, 2022, 05:12:15 AM

Brandenburg Concertos Nos. 1-6 BWV1046-1051

Combattimento Consort Amsterdam, Jan Willem de Vriend

Taken as a whole this is my favorite modern instruments recording.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

kyjo

Quote from: vandermolen on July 01, 2022, 12:06:06 PM
Saint-Saens 'Carnival of the Animals' (CD version). Although parts of it are familiar, I don't think that I've ever heard this work right through before or owned a recording of it - until now. It is very enjoyable, especially 'The Aquarium'. I like this recording as it is appropriately coupled with Ravel's 'Mother Goose Suite' which I like very much:

Glad you enjoyed it despite the lack of doom-laden oppression! ;D
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff