What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: Traverso on July 05, 2022, 05:11:14 PM
Indeed,the Boulez is a classic,I will listen to the Haitink recording.

Yes, do give the Haitink a listen, Jan. I think you'll enjoy it, too.

classicalgeek

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on July 05, 2022, 01:54:48 PM
Ives: Violin Sonata No. 2

Some of the most distinctively American music ever composed is in these wonderful sonatas.

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 05, 2022, 02:24:01 PM
Great stuff, Cesar. I LOVE those Fulkerson/Shannon recordings of the Ives Violin Sonatas. The 2nd VS is one of my favorite Ives works.

I was really impressed with these same recordings! Great interpretations, superb both technically and artistically.

TD:
Talivaldis Kenins
Symphony no. 4
Symphony no. 6
*Canzona Sonata
*Santa Vizine, viola
Latvian National Symphony Orchestra
Guntis Kuzma

(on Spotify)

So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

Mirror Image

Quote from: classicalgeek on July 05, 2022, 06:01:23 PM
I was really impressed with these same recordings! Great interpretations, superb both technically and artistically.

Yes, indeed. My only problem with this recording stems from Bridge Records who issued this as a 2-CD set when all four sonatas would fit on one disc (and they charge you for it being a 2-CD set on top of this). I own several other performances of these sonatas and still come back to this Fulkerson/Shannon set. Hilary Hahn would be my reference, though, if she didn't have Valentina Lisitsa as her pianist of choice. I find Lisitsa to be lost in this music and she feels her way through it as if she's sight-reading it for the first-time. Apprehensive and cautious playing on her part. Hahn is, of course, assured as always and plays fearlessly. Unfortunately, Hahn can't save this recording as I feel the piano part, especially at various times throughout each work, is just as important as the violin part.

Operafreak

Salonen / Ravel

Dima Slobodeniouk and Rotterdam Philharmonic Orchestra, Nicolas Altstaedt (cello), Pekka Kuusisto (violin)

The true adversary will inspire you with boundless courage.

Mirror Image

Last work for the night:

Barber
Despite & Still, Op. 41
Thomas Hampson, John Browning

Que

This morning on Spotify:

https://outhere-music.com/en/albums/i-dilettosi-fiori

More interesting than I expected. Although I don't think there alternating between clavisibalum and recorder works for me.

Que

Switched to:

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2016/Aug/Lescurel_love_RIC366.htm

Sounds excellent!  :)
And all songs are actually sung - no instrumental versions... and no bagpipes... Big plusses in my book.  8)

aligreto

Strozzi: [Galli/Bonizzoni]

Aria - Luci belle deh ditemi perché
Cantata - L'Astratto. Voglio si vo cantar

aligreto

JS Bach: Cantata BWV 130 "Herr Gott,dich loben alle wir [Gardiner]

Bach had long used trumpets to celebrate joy in his music. The trumpets, along with the timpani, set the scene of the heavenly host of angels preparing to do battle against Evil. The battle takes place in the bass aria with the trumpets lining up against the timpani and continuo. The subsequent movement is perhaps more suitable to the contemplative times of Trinity. The penultimate movement has a wonderful flute obbligato for the tenor aria. We finish with a fine chorale where the trumpets once again sing out, somewhat restrained but wonderfully nonetheless.

vandermolen

Vaughan Williams: An Oxford Elegy
Nice to have an alternative to the John Westbrook version.
This is a appealing CD.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Papy Oli

Good afternoon all,

Bach cantatas
Gardiner vol.4
BWV 9, 107, 170, 186, 187
Olivier

Operafreak

Saint-Saens: Cello Concertos Nos. 1 & 2; La Muse et le Poète; Suite, Op. 16; Prière: Classic Library Series

Steven Isserlis

NDR Sinfonie-Orchester* , London Symphony Orchestra

Conductor – Christoph Eschenbach * Michael Tilson Thomas
The true adversary will inspire you with boundless courage.

Lisztianwagner

Arnold Schönberg
Die Jakobsleiter

Die Jakobsleiter is a work I don't listen to very often, but that I consider very marvelous anyway; not dodecaphonic yet, but on the right way to be, with a use of timbral, vocal and orchestral possbilities concentrated to a very high level of expressive intensity and powerful evocation.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

aligreto

CPE Bach: Solo Keyboard Music [Spányi]

Sonata in C maj. W.62/10 H.59

I like the sound of the instrument used in this presentation. However, I find the tempi throughout to be a tad on the slow side given the indications.

Madiel

Dvorak Cello Concerto.

Tortelier/Previn: really do not like this. The cello has a nasty sonic edge.

Schiff/Davis: heaps better. I've owned this one for much longer but not listened to it for a long time. It's just sonically a much more enjoyable listen.

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Spotted Horses

Mozart K188 (Divertimento for 2 flutes, 6 trumpets and timpani!). Very brief and surprisingly pleasant work.

There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Cato

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on July 06, 2022, 02:40:11 AM
Arnold Schönberg
Die Jakobsleiter

Die Jakobsleiter is a work I don't listen to very often, but that I consider very marvelous anyway; not dodecaphonic yet, but on the right way to be, with a use of timbral, vocal and orchestral possbilities concentrated to a very high level of expressive intensity and powerful evocation.

0:)  AMEN!   0:)

I revisited Jacob's Ladder a few weeks ago, the same recording, and it remains one of my favorite works, a powerful spiritual journey similar to Moses und Aron, whose last bars of eternal yearning are similar in emotion to the last bars of Die Jakobsleiter.

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

aligreto

Janáček: Concertino for Piano, 2 Violins, Viola, Clarinet, Horn & Bassoon [Crossley/London Sinfonietta/Atherton]

What a wonderful sound world this is. It is intriguing, discursive, texturally interesting and constantly absorbing and engaging. I like the musical language very much along with its inventive scoring.

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya