What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linz, AnotherSpin, Lisztianwagner, ritter, qurasjovan and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.

Traverso

Quote from: aligreto on July 06, 2022, 12:59:09 AM
JS Bach: Cantata BWV 130 "Herr Gott,dich loben alle wir [Gardiner]

Bach had long used trumpets to celebrate joy in his music. The trumpets, along with the timpani, set the scene of the heavenly host of angels preparing to do battle against Evil. The battle takes place in the bass aria with the trumpets lining up against the timpani and continuo. The subsequent movement is perhaps more suitable to the contemplative times of Trinity. The penultimate movement has a wonderful flute obbligato for the tenor aria. We finish with a fine chorale where the trumpets once again sing out, somewhat restrained but wonderfully nonetheless.

it seems inevitable that you love the cantatas  :)

aligreto

Quote from: Traverso on July 06, 2022, 04:55:01 AM
it seems inevitable that you love the cantatas  :)

Yes, I certainly do Jan.  :)

Cato

Quote from: Cato on July 06, 2022, 04:35:21 AM

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on July 06, 2022, 02:40:11 AM

Arnold Schönberg

Die Jakobsleiter

0:)  AMEN!   0:)

I revisited Jacob's Ladder a few weeks ago, the same recording, and it remains one of my favorite works, a powerful spiritual journey similar to Moses und Aron, whose last bars of eternal yearning are similar in emotion to the last bars of Die Jakobsleiter.

Also this morning: KARL HENNING'S Symphony #3, an exciting, meditative, evocative, and provocative work in progress, which prepared me to revisit Mahler's Das Lied von der Erde in the famous Bruno Walter/Kathleen Ferrier, Julius Patzak performance from 1952.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU_vuKSP2Z0

From the unknown commentator in my Universal Edition/Philharmonia score:

"Diese im September 1908 in Toblach beendete Partitur gehoert zu den ganz grossen Geschenken, die uns beschieden sind."

(i.e. This score, finished in September 1908 in Toblach, belongs among the very great gifts which have been bequeathed to us.)

Ja bestimmt, das kann man wohl sagen!

https://www.youtube.com/v/XU_vuKSP2Z0
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 05, 2022, 12:11:21 PM
Harmonie Ensemble New York. A great disc overall.  I have a special fondness for Marcus Roberts' novel "jazz combo" take on the piece, too.

The both are great recordings. The Marcus Roberts version has some attractive sections, including the 4 beat swing section. The both recordings are wonderful.
I read somewhere that Maurice Ravel was crazy about Gershwin.

Biffo

Elgar: The Kingdom - London Symphony Orchestra & Chorus and Soloists conducted by Richard Hickox

prémont

Quote from: Que on July 05, 2022, 09:52:48 PM
This morning on Spotify:

https://outhere-music.com/en/albums/i-dilettosi-fiori

More interesting than I expected. Although I don't think there alternating between clavisibalum and recorder works for me.

Wery similar to my reaction.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

vandermolen

Vaughan Williams: Symphony No.5 (RPO, Gibson)
A fine, moving and IMO most underrated performance.
I have it on an original HMV Series CD, coupled with Berglund's recording of Symphony No.6. Two fine Sibelian performances. This was one of the best (alongside the Moeran Symphony, Dilkes, Ireland and Bax) releases in that fine old series - now it's all popular classics at HMV. Sorry, I sound like a terrible snob!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

Quote from: absolutelybaching on July 06, 2022, 12:32:03 AM
I have a few Bluebeards, but the Boulez is one that has escaped me. I shall now hunt it down! Thanks for the tip... :)

Another one to check out is the Sawallisch on DG.

Mirror Image

Quote from: aligreto on July 06, 2022, 04:36:53 AM
Janáček: Concertino for Piano, 2 Violins, Viola, Clarinet, Horn & Bassoon [Crossley/London Sinfonietta/Atherton]

What a wonderful sound world this is. It is intriguing, discursive, texturally interesting and constantly absorbing and engaging. I like the musical language very much along with its inventive scoring.

Yes, it is a wonderful work as is the Capriccio. These two works don't get mentioned too often and I never understand why as they're both gems.

Tsaraslondon

There was a time when this recording of the Verdi Requiem was the top choice. It was my first encounter with the work and I have a great deal of affection for this performance. The sound is a bit of a stumbling block now I suppose, as it does tend to overload at the big choral climaxes, but the performance still has a lot going for it.

The soloists may not be italianate, but they are a wonderfully homogeneous bunch. Schwarzkopf is no doubt the most controversial, but I love her intelligent, highly dramatic response to the text and she and Ludwig blend as beautifully in Verdi as they do in Mozart and Strauss.

Giulini's Quattro Pezzi Sacri make a superb makeweigt.
\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

Mirror Image

NP:

Kodály
String Quartet No. 2, Op. 10
Kodály Quartet

VonStupp

Carl Nielsen
Symphony 1 in g minor, op. 7
San Francisco SO - Herbert Blomstedt

For this morning:

I don't think I have visited these since I bought them Y2K. No better time than the present!  ;D

VS

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Operafreak

Sibelius: Symphonies Nos 3, 6 & 7- Minnesota Orchestra, Osmo Vänskä

The true adversary will inspire you with boundless courage.

foxandpeng

Christopher Rouse
Flute Concerto
Alan Gilbert
Royal Stockholm Philharmonic Orchestra
BIS

Beautiful stuff.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Mirror Image

Quote from: VonStupp on July 06, 2022, 06:34:10 AM
Carl Nielsen
Symphony 1
San Francisco SO - Herbert Blomstedt

For this morning:

I don't think I have visited these since I bought them Y2K. No better time than the present!  ;D

VS

Great! The Blomstedt cycle on Decca is one of my favorites. In fact, his performances of these symphonies were the first I heard. They still hold up rather well I think.

VonStupp

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 06, 2022, 07:04:35 AM
Great! The Blomstedt cycle on Decca is one of my favorites. In fact, his performances of these symphonies were the first I heard. They still hold up rather well I think.

Excellent to hear! I am enjoying this much more than I had anticipated.

Have you heard the Bryden Thomson cycle on Chandos? It was once recommended to me ages ago, but I went with Blomstedt, although I was slow getting there.

VS
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Mirror Image

NP:

Koechlin
La méditation de Purun Bhagat, poème symphonique, Op. 159
Orchestre Philharmonique de Montpellier
Steuart Bedford

From this complete recording of Le Livre de la Jungle -

There are only two complete recordings of Le Livre de la Jungle --- this one and the one with Zinman on RCA. The other performances are only partial cycles: Holliger on Hänssler and Segerstam on Marco Polo. This Bedford is probably my favorite as I believe it has a certain atmosphere that the Zinman does not.

Mirror Image

NP:

Zemlinsky
Lyrische Symphonie, Op. 18
Matthias Goerne (baritone), Christine Schäfer (soprano)
Orchestre de Paris
Christoph Eschenbach

An absolute gem of a performance.

SonicMan46

Telemann - more GPT today starting w/ the four below - first two MP3 DLs burned to a single CD-R (period vs. modern instrument performances) - Dave :)