What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aligreto

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 06, 2022, 06:31:26 AM
Yes, it is a wonderful work as is the Capriccio. These two works don't get mentioned too often and I never understand why as they're both gems.

The Capriccio is next up on my list from that Janacek set  ;)

Traverso

Linz

Arnold Bax In the Faery Hills, The Garden of Fand, And Symphony No. 1

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Mirror Image

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Hindemith: Symphony Ebmaj. Lenny, NY.

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: Cato on July 06, 2022, 04:35:21 AM
0:)  AMEN!   0:)

I revisited Jacob's Ladder a few weeks ago, the same recording, and it remains one of my favorite works, a powerful spiritual journey similar to Moses und Aron, whose last bars of eternal yearning are similar in emotion to the last bars of Die Jakobsleiter.

Great, Cato!

That reminds me I need to revisit Moses und Aron too. :)
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Lisztianwagner

Arnold Schönberg
Moses und Aron, 1^ act

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Linz

Stravinsky: Concerto for Piano & Wind Instruments with Nikita Magaloff (piano),  Zimmermann Symphony in one movement, Fortner: Symphony all with the West German Radio Symphony Orchestra and Ligeti: Lontano with the North German Radio Philharmonic Orchestra

VonStupp

Carl Nielsen
Symphony 2 'The Four Temperaments', op. 16
San Francisco SO - Herbert Blomstedt

VS

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

classicalgeek

Last night:

Mozart
Piano sonata in D major, K 311
Piano sonata in G major, K 283
Piano sonata in B-flat major, K 281
Malcolm Bilson, fortepiano

(on CD)

I don't know if it's the fortepiano in general or Bilson in particular, but I found these interpretations of the Mozart sonatas drab and monochrome. Perhaps I should listen to Ronald Brautigam (who has been critically acclaimed for his Haydn, Mozart, and Beethoven) in these works for comparison.
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

Florestan

Quote from: classicalgeek on July 06, 2022, 11:34:39 AM
Last night:

Mozart
Piano sonata in D major, K 311
Piano sonata in G major, K 283
Piano sonata in B-flat major, K 281
Malcolm Bilson, fortepiano

(on CD)

I don't know if it's the fortepiano in general or Bilson in particular, but I found these interpretations of the Mozart sonatas drab and monochrome.

Which is anything but how they should actually be.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

DavidW

Quote from: classicalgeek on July 06, 2022, 11:34:39 AM
Perhaps I should listen to Ronald Brautigam (who has been critically acclaimed for his Haydn, Mozart, and Beethoven) in these works for comparison.

Yes!  Bilson is boring and always has been.  Brautigam is the opposite.  I haven't heard his Beethoven, but his Haydn and Mozart are superb.

Can't be the fortepiano, it is not THAT different.  It is the artist sitting behind the instrument that matters.

Cato

Quote from: absolutelybaching on July 06, 2022, 09:19:19 AM

Anton Bruckner's Symphony No. 3 
    Eugen Jochum, Staatskapelle Dresden

Some people prefer this performance to the earlier one on DGG: do you know that performance?  Any preference?
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

DavidW

Quote from: Cato on July 06, 2022, 11:49:48 AM
Some people prefer this performance to the earlier one on DGG: do you know that performance?  Any preference?

I'm not the poster but as I just listened to the earlier recording semi-recently... yeah I do have a preference.  Dresden by a long shot.  The earlier recording is just... odd.  And not in a good way.  Many people seem to consider these sets as nearly equal, but outside of the 8th and 9th I prefer the Dresden cycle.

ritter

A new arrival:

As a child, we had the Wenzinger recording of Telemann's Overture (Suite) in C major Hamburger Ebb' und Fluth at home on LP, and listening to this lovely music again brings back fond memories. The Hamburger Admiralitätsmusik 1723 (a full-fledged oratorio composed for the same occasion as the Overture) is completely new to me.

The performances by the soloists, the Alsfeld Vocal Ensemble, and the Bremen Baroque Orchestra under Wolfgang Helbich are very persuasive.

I liked Telemann a lot when I was very young. My interests have shifted since, but every time I revisit this composer, I'm delighted!  :)

Todd

Going through this cycle again, for the first time in years, and the Third at times sounds too fraught and frantic, but then at other times, like in the grand last movement, so delicate and beautiful, taking on an almost Parsifalian beauty and sheen unmatched by anyone else, that it more than counters the frantic playing.  Still, not a top 3/5 version.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Linz

Gerd Schaller Symphony No. 3 in D minor with the 1890 Thorough revision Bruckner with Joseph and Franz Schalk Ed. Theodor Raettig version

Traverso

SonicMan46

Telemann, GP - Wind Concertos w/ the performers on the back cover of the 8-CD box - will pull out just 3 or 4 for the late afternoon and dinnertime - Dave :)