What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46 and 39 Guests are viewing this topic.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Spotted Horses on August 10, 2022, 06:33:20 AM
Isabelle Faust, Bach, Partita #2 for Violin Unaccompanied

I continue to enjoy these recordings. Generally lithe performance, and the enormous Chaconne takes on a subtle dance character.

Great player!

Traverso

Monteverdi

Some Monteverdi to cool of a bit

Sesto Libro dei Madrigali , 1614

Brian

Note to self, because every 5 years or so I think about how Bloch's Concerto Symphonique sounds fun and I should give it another spin: don't. I just don't like it.  :(

Loud, relentless, claustrophobic, a sprawling late-romantic beast. It's not really "relentless", I guess, there are contrasting episodes, but since I fail to understand the structure of the work (three fast movements with occasional slow bits), the procession never seems to end. The under-rehearsed orchestra does not help, although Jenny Lin is clearly doing extraordinary work. Her solo work is both a marathon and a sprint at the same time.

The concerto grosso for piano string orchestra is gentler and seems at times to attempt a neoclassical style. The third movement, "Pastorale and Rustic Dances," is the most successful, although it gets a little overlong and I imagine there are better performances available. (The Kaiserslautern violin section is not very appealing and rustic dance tempo is a little slow.)

The Scherzo fantasque is a really fun colorful short piece. You can also encounter it with Andre Previn conducting, on RCA with pianist Lorin Hollander.

Lest one of GMG's resident Blochheads see this and object: I do like Bloch overall, particularly the concertante works for violin/viola and orchestra and the symphony in C sharp minor.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on August 10, 2022, 02:32:57 AM
Carl Nielsen
Wind Quintet

Superb!

TD:

JSB
BWV 26: Cantata № 26, « Ach wie flüchtig, ach wie nichtig »

Chávez
String Quartet № 1 (1921
Cuarteto Latinoamericano

Bartók
String Quartet № 5, Sz. 102
The Emerson Quartet
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: Traverso on August 10, 2022, 08:26:57 AM
Monteverdi

Superb, too!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

aligreto

Beethoven: Piano Sonata No. 25 Op. 79 [Fischer]

aligreto

Monteverdi

Oh, wonderful!

ritter

Monteverdi

What a splendid idea! I'll join you with the Quarto Libro (1603) - CD 4 of the same set...

Good evening, Jan.

Linz

Bruckner Symphony 4

Traverso

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 10, 2022, 08:49:52 AM
Superb, too!

Hi Karl,Fergus & Rafael,glad to see such  praise for these madrigals.  :)  A good evening to you all !

Karl Henning

Quote from: Traverso on August 10, 2022, 09:10:05 AM
Hi Karl,Fergus & Rafael,glad to see such  praise for these madrigals.  :)  A good evening to you all !

Goedenavond, mijn vriend
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Prokofiev: Original SY4.
Netherlands/Gaffigan.

Traverso

Luigi Rossi

Oratorio per la Settimana Santa  ( holy week)

Un Peccator Pentito  (a repentant sinner)

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Brian on August 10, 2022, 08:48:10 AM
Note to self, because every 5 years or so I think about how Bloch's Concerto Symphonique sounds fun and I should give it another spin: don't. I just don't like it.  :(

Loud, relentless, claustrophobic, a sprawling late-romantic beast. It's not really "relentless", I guess, there are contrasting episodes, but since I fail to understand the structure of the work (three fast movements with occasional slow bits), the procession never seems to end. The under-rehearsed orchestra does not help, although Jenny Lin is clearly doing extraordinary work. Her solo work is both a marathon and a sprint at the same time.

The concerto grosso for piano string orchestra is gentler and seems at times to attempt a neoclassical style. The third movement, "Pastorale and Rustic Dances," is the most successful, although it gets a little overlong and I imagine there are better performances available. (The Kaiserslautern violin section is not very appealing and rustic dance tempo is a little slow.)

The Scherzo fantasque is a really fun colorful short piece. You can also encounter it with Andre Previn conducting, on RCA with pianist Lorin Hollander.

Lest one of GMG's resident Blochheads see this and object: I do like Bloch overall, particularly the concertante works for violin/viola and orchestra and the symphony in C sharp minor.

I'm surprised at your reaction, I thought it was a wonderfully entertaining disc, although as you say the Concerto Sinfonique is long on flash and short on substance.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

vandermolen

Quote from: Brian on August 10, 2022, 08:48:10 AM

As a resident Blochhead I do enjoy the Concerto Symphonique, of which I own several recordings.  8)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Lisztianwagner

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Todd

A bit of a step down from the Third, Fourth, and Fifth, but quite good nonetheless.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Spotted Horses

Quote from: vandermolen on August 10, 2022, 10:22:31 AM
As a resident Blochhead I do enjoy the Concerto Symphonique, of which I own several recordings.  8)

The piece reminds me a bit of the Finzi Grand Fantasia and Toccata.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Linz

Bruckner Symphony No. 1 in C minor

SonicMan46

Bach, JS - Selected Works on Mandolin w/ Avi Avital - have been listening to some of these pieces w/ 'other' plucked instruments - now the mandolin - then later for the afternoon and the dinner hour:

Brahms, Johannes - Piano Music w/ Geoffroy Couteau - will be selective w/ this 6-disc box.  Dave :)