What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VonStupp

Quote from: aligreto on August 11, 2022, 08:28:12 AM
Barber: Prayers of Kierkegaard [Shaw]

The more I return to these Shaw Telarc recordings with Atlanta, the more antiseptic I find the performances, despite fine sound and choral work.

Not much to choose from in this Barber work, though...one that needs more sponsorship on record, I think.

There is an interesting recording of Kierkegaard with the Camerata Chamber Choir on Danica. Interesting, only because for an album entitled Americana, it features the choral music of Vagn Holmboe, Ib Nørholm, Grainger, Britten, and Barber.  :laugh:

VS

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Karl Henning

Quote from: VonStupp on August 11, 2022, 03:15:49 PM
The more I return to these Shaw Telarc recordings with Atlanta, the more antiseptic I find the performances, despite fine sound and choral work.

Not much to choose from in this Barber work, though...one that needs more sponsorship on record, I think.

There is an interesting recording of Kierkegaard with the Camerata Chamber Choir on Danica. Interesting, only because for an album entitled Americana, it features the choral music of Vagn Holmboe, Ib Nørholm, Grainger, Britten, and Barber.  :laugh:

VS

And Hopper for the cover 8)

TD:

CD 3 is dominated by two items in the Shostakovich catalogue I've hitherto known only by name

Fleischmann/Shostakovich
Rothschild's Violin (1939-41/1943-44)

Venyamin Fleischmann was a Jewish student of Shostakovich's who perished in the first week of the Siege of Leningrad

Joh. Strauss II
Express Train Polka, Op. 281 (1864, re-orch. Shostakovich 1940)

Shostakovich
British and American Folk Songs (1943)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Linz

Beethoven Egmont Overture and Symphony No. 3 'Eroica' Klangkollektiv Wien & Rémy Ballot 
'

Peter Power Pop

Karl Henning

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 10, 2022, 02:31:59 PM
CD 1:

"Papa" (attrib.)
Die Erwählung eines Kappellmeisters

[ "Of questionable authenticity the manuscripts not being in Haydn's hand"]

JS Bach arr. "Wolferl" [and both of those are rather dodgy] orch. Rozhdestvensky, anyway
Three Preludes and Fugues, K. 404 (?1782)
C. Willibald von Gluck
Narcisse et Echo—Overture

Adolphe Adam
Danilowa—Overture

Luigi Cherubini
La Prisonnière—Overture

All pleasant and nicely performed

CD 2:

Dvořák
Symphony № 2 in Bb, Op. 4
(premièred in Prague 18 Mar 1888, but not published until 1959)

Robt Volkmann
Richard III, Op. 68—Overture (1871)

Louis Spohr
Faust, Op. 60—Overture (1813)

Apart from (as I posted earlier) enjoying the Dvořák Bb Symphony even more than before, I found the Volkmann especially good. Nothing objectionable about the Spohr, to be sure.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 11, 2022, 04:00:44 PM

TD:

CD 3 is dominated by two items in the Shostakovich catalogue I've hitherto known only by name

Fleischmann/Shostakovich

Venyamin Fleischmann was a Jewish student of Shostakovich's who perished in the first week of the Siege of Leningrad

Joh. Strauss II

Shostakovich

No critique of the composer if the Folk Song arrangements are on the "workaday" side (a wartime gesture of intra-alliance cameraderie.) I found Rothschild's Violin altogether poignant.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

JBS

First listen

This is a re-issue of two CDs originally recorded in 1983 and 1984.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Karl Henning

Quote from: JBS on August 11, 2022, 07:05:26 PM
First listen

This is a re-issue of two CDs originally recorded in 1983 and 1984.

I look forward to your report!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

JBS

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Operafreak

Kim Andre Arnesen: Holy Spirit Mass- Kim André Arnesen
The true adversary will inspire you with boundless courage.

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 11, 2022, 06:55:22 PM

I do like that album, and thank you afresh.

A-OK, Karl.

I'm only on CD 1 at the moment. This will be my second listen to the set. I first heard it in April when I bought it, and I liked almost all of the tracks selected for the compilation. For me, the only thing missing is the lack of Ozawa's A Midsummer Night's Dream. If that was included it would have made it an unbeatable box set.

Incidentally, before the Ozawa box I listened to this:

LKB

Quote from: vers la flamme on August 11, 2022, 02:19:43 PM

Gustav Mahler: Symphony No.9 in D major. John Barbirolli, Berlin Philharmonic

Absolutely stellar performance. I've heard it before but not in several years, and this new remaster does sound excellent. I listened to the Karajan/Berlin live recording the other day, which I love, but this go around, Barbirolli is speaking to me a lot more.

P.S. The BPO is a great Mahler 9th orchestra; they've recorded it so many times: Barbirolli, Karajan x2, Bernstein, Abbado, Rattle—any others I'm forgetting about?

I suppose this doesn't really count since it isn't a commercial release, but if you sign up for the BPO's digital concert hall, there's a performance led by Haitink. Probably a few others as well, I'd expect.
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

vandermolen

Quote from: classicalgeek on August 11, 2022, 07:51:46 AM
Hilding Rosenberg
Symphony no. 3
Symphony no. 6 'Sinfonia semplice'
Gothenburg Symphony Orchestra
Mario Venzago

(on Spotify)

Solid, well-crafted 20th-century symphonies.
I'd go beyond that and say two great symphonies! Certainly two of my favourites.  :)
NP
Novak: 'Pan' (Piano version)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 11, 2022, 04:00:44 PM

TD:

Fleischmann/Shostakovich

Joh. Strauss II

Shostakovich

What's 'British and  American Folk Songs' like Karl?
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Harry

Wilhelm Friedemann Bach.
Complete Harpsichord Music.
CD II from VI.

Seven Sonatas in C,F, E minor, C, D, E flat, C.

Claudio Astronio plays on a Ugo Casiglia (2014) after Johann Adolph Specken, Germany, 1748.

These seven sonatas are altogether on a higher level, and I like them very much. The music sparkles with bright ideas, and are a creative highlight. Especially the Sonata in E minor, F 204 (BR A9) made a huge impression on me. The playing by Astronio is amazing. He finds the right touch and his timbre is most excellent. This is certainly no hyperbole, but the pleasant truth, The harpsichord after Specken is also a fine example how well a copy can sound. All in all a resounding success and very welcome at this piping hot day with temps over 30° C .
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

vandermolen

Quote from: absolutelybaching on August 11, 2022, 11:26:42 PM
Nicolai Miaskovsky's Symphony No. 9 
    Evgeny Svetlanov, Symphony Orchestra of the Russian Federation, USSR Symphony Orchestra

Possibly my favourite, after the choral-ending 6th.
Interesting. 6 is my favourite as well but my other favourites are 3,17,21,24 and 27.

Now Playing: Ole Schmidt 'Jeanne d'Arc' a fine film score. Thanks to André of this forum. It quotes from the folk ballad 'Scarborough Fair' all the way through.

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

ritter

First listen to this new acquisition:

I'm not the greatest fan of the violin sonata genre, and cannot remember when I last listened to any Grieg, but the (available) discography of pianist Bruno Canino (whom I greatly admire) is not that big, and having him in Fauré was an interesting proposition --particularly at the price I could get this CD for). Be that as it may, the Grieg Violin Sonata No. 3 in C minor, op. 45, is turning out to be quite pleasant, and I'm looking forward to the Fauré Violin Sonata No. 1 in A minor, op. 13 which will follow. Paolo Ardinghi is a name I had never encountered before, but violin playing seems perfectly fine to me (I'm no expert on the matter), and so does Canino at the piano.

Harry

Heinrich Ignaz Franz Biber.

The Complete Violin Sonatas.

The Mystery Sonatas.
CD II.

The Sorrowful Mysteries, last part, No 10, "The Crucifixion" in G minor.
The Glorious Mysteries, 11-16.
The Scordatura is stipulated by the composer.

Igor Ruhadze, Violin. Instruments used: Carlo Tononi, Bologna c.1704. Hendrik Jacobs, Amsterdam, 1693. David Techler, Rome, 1706.
Ensemble Violini Capriccioso.
Vaughan Schlepp plays of a Harpsichord by Joop Klinkhamer, after Christian Zell.

For me personally one of the best interpretations on the market. Ruhadze's performance gives me so much pleasure. It brings all aspects of Biber's compositions to life, in an extra ordinary way. All things come beautifully together, and covers the whole spectrum of his universe. Perfectly recorded too.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."