What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Que

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on August 12, 2022, 07:51:31 PM
Absolutely magical.

Magical indeed!  :) With Klemper and this one, I'm good.  8)

Que

Morning listening on Spotify:

I'll probably buy this on disc.  :)

vandermolen

Quote from: JBS on August 12, 2022, 04:06:38 PM
More Glorious John

The Sixth was recorded in 1956 at the Cheltenham Festival.
The Fifth is the HMV/EMI 1950 studio recording.
Also included but not listed on the cover is Loath to Depart from Rubbra's Improvisations on Virginal Pieces by Giles Farnaby (Opus 50 Number 4), a 4 minute long piece used as filler when the Fifth Symphony was released on 78s.
That Rubbra CD is great!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Maestro267

Holmboe: Symphony No. 5
Aarhus SO/Hughes

This is already my favourite of the ones I've heard so far. The surging energy and perpetuum mobile of the first movement is unceasing and thrilling.

Iota

BBC Prom, Fri 12th, Aug

Sibelius: Tapiola
Liszt: Piano Concerto No. 1 in E flat major

INTERVAL

Strauss: Ein Heldenleben

Yuja Wang (piano)
Oslo Philharmonic Orchestra
Klaus Mäkelä (conductor)

Mäkelä's name has popped up here a number of times and I thought I'd take a look at last night's Prom. I've just heard Tapiola so far, which I liked, full of forest-y twitchings and rustlings, and nicely capturing the magical intensities of Sibelius' music.

Then came Yuja Wang in Liszt's PC 1, followed by two encores, Horowitz' Carmen Variations and Sgambati's ever beautiful transcription of Gluck's 'Dance of the Blessed Spirits'. She captured the spirit of the PC perfectly and dazzled in the same way Liszt may well have done back in his day, with perhaps similar levels of adoration from the audience.
The Horowitz Variations were staggering and the Gluck as winningly played as I've ever heard. Miss Wang certainly took a quantum step forward in my esteem last night, a true talent and a glittering presence that comes accompanied by a turbocharged communicative power. 

Available on the BBC iPlayer and BBC Sounds for those that can:

Video - https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001b0cg/bbc-proms-2022-yuja-wang-plays-liszt

Audio - https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0019sft

Iota

Quote from: Que on August 12, 2022, 12:20:50 PM
I also cherish the five Schubert recordings Vermeulen in the mid 90s on Vanguard. For those he used a Tröndlin fortepiano (ca. 1825). Comparison shows how much difference the instrument makes: the more rounded, warmer and mellow sounding  Tröndlin vs the percussive, stronger and more penetrating sound of a Streicher, which allows for a more rhytmic angle. The more "Romantic" Tröndlin vs the "Classical" Streicher.

Interesting.

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on August 12, 2022, 07:51:31 PM
Absolutely magical.

Looks tempting!

Biffo

Josquin des Prez: Salve Regina a 5 - Stile Antico. From the album The Golden Renaissance. This popped up as a recommendation from Amazon, it is a very modest price so I bought it. Listening to the free mp3 download but the CD is on its way. Sounds fine.

Harry

Johann Sebastian Bach.

Concerto for Harpsichord and Strings in A major, BWV 1055 & in F minor, BWV 1056, & in G minor BWV 1058.
Concerto for Harpsichord, 2 Recorders and String in F major. BWV 1057.

The English Concert, Trevor Pinnock.
Instruments: Two Harpsichords by David Rubio, 1979, after Blanchet, 1733, and 1980, after Blanchet, 1730.
Tuning A=415 Hz, Unequal temperament.

I like what I hear.

Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

vers la flamme

Gustav Mahler: Lieder eines fahrende Gesellen; Ich bin der Welt abhanden gekommen. Janet Baker, John Barbirolli, Hallé Orchestra

Amazing performance.

Traverso

Harry

Heinrich Von Biber.

Harmonia Artificiosa Ariosa.
Diversi mode Accordata
7 Partitas for Violins, Viola & Violas d' amore.
Partita !-VII.
2CD'S.

The Purcell Quartet, Elizabet Wallfisch.

After 28 years to listen again to this music is quite a treat, especially if you get such good music, performance and sound. A blast from the past, quite literally.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Iota

Quote from: SonicMan46 on August 11, 2022, 02:03:26 PM
Hi Que - have listened to just the first two discs - the restored fortepiano is amazing (sounds like the 'bull in the china shop' compared to some of the ones used by Paul B-S) and Vermuelen really gives it a workout w/ at times an aggressiveness that one (or me) has to adjust to appreciate - believe that I'll be quite happy w/ this performance (and likely will 'dump' my other period set) - always being curious of reviews, I found a few (attached for those who like them) - BUT there is one in Dutch that I had to translate via Google (last one in the attachment - link is provided at the top - I'd be curious about your thoughts?).  Bottom line - I think Uchida on a modern piano and Vermuelen on a unique restored mid-1820s fortepiano will be a nice choice of alternates for me. :)  Dave
Quote from: Que on August 12, 2022, 12:20:50 PM
I also cherish the five Schubert recordings Vermeulen in the mid 90s on Vanguard. For those he used a Tröndlin fortepiano (ca. 1825). Comparison shows how much difference the instrument makes: the more rounded, warmer and mellow sounding  Tröndlin vs the percussive, stronger and more penetrating sound of a Streicher, which allows for a more rhytmic angle. The more "Romantic" Tröndlin vs the "Classical" Streicher.

Sadly I couldn't find the Vermeulen/Tröndlin Vanguard to stream, but I listened to Schubert's D850 on the Nanette Streicher fortepiano in the recording below, which I guess must be the same series as the one Dave's got, which I was utterly charmed by, a lovely find! Thanks to you and Dave for the prompt.  :)

Karl Henning

JSB
BWV 27: Cantata № 27, « Wer weiss, wie nahe mir mein Ende »

Weinberg
String Quartet № 6 in e minor, Op. 35 (1946)
The Pacifica Quartet

The Pacificas it was who made mischief with me viz. both Weinberg & Myaskovsky
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

vers la flamme

Ludwig van Beethoven: Symphony No.4 in B-flat major, op.60. Leonard Bernstein, New York Philharmonic

Per Schumann this symphony is a "slender Grecian maiden between two Nordic giants". I don't know about all that, but I do like it a lot, and this is my favorite recording of it.

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Karl Henning

Quote from: vers la flamme on August 13, 2022, 06:21:58 AM

Ludwig van Beethoven: Symphony No.4 in B-flat major, op.60. Leonard Bernstein, New York Philharmonic

Per Schumann this symphony is a "slender Grecian maiden between two Nordic giants". I don't know about all that, but I do like it a lot, and this is my favorite recording of it.

I've been a big fan of the Bb symphony since my composition instructor at UVa had me study it.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Traverso

Beethoven

String Quartets Op,59 No. 1 & 2

JBS

Quote from: Que on August 12, 2022, 10:09:03 PM
Looks good!  :)
It is, but be aware that much of the music is doubtfully attributed. For instance, CD 2 (which I'm listening to now) is a set published by Hue in Paris 1742, entitled "Opus Posthumous" even though Albinoni was still alive. The Third Sonata is now known definitely to have been composed by Pepusch, so the recording omits it. Of the other five, three may not be by Albinoni.
So only two definitely written by the person named on the CD cover.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

JBS

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 13, 2022, 06:31:59 AM
I've been a big fan of the Bb symphony since my composition instructor at UVa had me study it.

It's one of my three top picks out of the Holy Nine. (The other two are the Eighth and Seventh.)

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk