What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Que, Harry and 20 Guests are viewing this topic.

Que

Refreshing my memories of this series this morning:

Well, at least as good as I remembered.  I'm looking forward to hearing the 3rd volume! :)

Que

Quote from: SonicMan46 on August 13, 2022, 01:49:51 PM
Schubert, Franz - Piano Duets - Four Hands w/ Eschenbach and Frantz (from the 70s) - Brilliant licensed these recordings and offered a 4-disc box - listening now on Spotify - not sure that I'd listen to this music much vs. Schubert's solo works for piano - don't know?  There are other options of single discs up to a 7-CD box w/ Vermuelen and friend on a fortepiano - although attractive sounding I just bought Vermuelen's 12-disc box of the solo pieces - probably enough for me -  :laugh:  Dave

I have those myself, excellent performances!
But the prospect these in prime period performances is too appealing to resist.  :)

BTW Staier did one recording with four hands repertoire with Lubimov -  wonderful!

PS And while searching for the recording above, I discovered another - this time with Melnikov. I should investigate!

Irons

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Gliere: Symphony No.1/The Sirens
I like these early Marco Polo releases (1985). The notes consist of one large fold-out sheet. This recording is on Naxos as well.
The Symphony (1899-1900) has grown on me - it should appeal to anyone who enjoys the music of Glazunov (or Tchaikovsky). By the time of 'The Sirens' (1908) Glazunov's style had developed and we are now in the magical fairy-tale world of 'Ilya Murometz' (Gliere's contemporaneous epic 3rd Symphony). 'The Sirens' is much shorter (13.30 mins) but is a haunting and atmospheric work showing the influence of Wagner and Scriabin. It also reminded me of Rachmaninov's 'Isle of the Dead' (also composed in 1908):
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Papy Oli

Wagner - Parsifal Act III (Karajan)

This is getting better and better. A definite purchase to come.
Olivier

Operafreak

Hummel - Piano Works- Howard Shelley (piano)
The true adversary will inspire you with boundless courage.

Mandryka

Quote from: Todd on August 13, 2022, 07:29:21 AM

Streaming is great, and this recording represents the perfect reason why.  Old fashioned and beautiful playing of even more old fashioned music that I have now heard in two interpretations.  I may very well go the rest of my life without listening to it again, but it's nice to hear.

Now, if all those harder or impossible to find French market recordings could be made available for streaming worldwide.  I want to hear every single note Jean Marie Darre recorded, for instance.

Have you seen this?

https://forgottenrecords.com/en/catalogue?f=soloist~Darr%C3%A9%2C%20Jeanne-Marie
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Que

Mandryka

There are moments which call to mind the extraordinary lyricism and lightness of the etudes recording, made 13 years before. Glad to have this one, I'd say it's a really satisfying rendition.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Traverso

Todd

The Haydn sounds more relaxed and chamber-y, as in meant for a salon rather than public performance space, than any other version I've heard.  It's quite lovely.  The other pieces ain't too bad either.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Todd

Quote from: Mandryka on August 14, 2022, 01:54:43 AM
Have you seen this?

https://forgottenrecords.com/en/catalogue?f=soloist~Darr%C3%A9%2C%20Jeanne-Marie

No, I had not seen that.  I am holding out hope for a biggish box reissue from Warner at some point.  I may not be able to wait though.

Biffo

Albéniz: Iberia Books 1 & 2 - Olivier Chauzu piano

Todd

Karl Henning

Quote from: pjme on August 13, 2022, 10:32:37 PM
No worries there... :): a "schat" is a treasure.
And a "schatje" is nick name, a petname for your lover, wife,child, mistress, dog, cat, canary....
However, if you want to discover more about the influence of Dutch/Flemish on English (including...words starting with sh... or sch...) read here:
https://www.dbnl.org/tekst/_low001200301_01/_low001200301_01_0016.php

Thanks for the enlightenment, Peter!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

JSB
BWV 28: Cantata № 28, « Gottlob! Nun geht das Jahr zu Ende »

Weinberg
String Quartet № 7 in C, Op. 59 (1957)
Quatuor Danel
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

San Antone

Strauss: Vier letzte lieder
Cheryl Studer

San Antone

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 14, 2022, 06:30:26 AM
Weinberg
String Quartet № 7 in C, Op. 59 (1957)
Quatuor Danel

I was also listening to quartets from this set this morning.  Nice.

Karl Henning

JSB
BWV 29: Cantata № 29, « Wir danken dir, Gott, wir danken dir »

Brahms
String Quartet № 1 in c minor, Op. 51  № 1
Takács Quartet
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Lisztianwagner

Max Reger
String Quartet No.5
Clarinet Quintet

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler