What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daverz and 53 Guests are viewing this topic.

vandermolen

Bax: 'For the Fallen' Tone Poem
Thanks to Kyle for promoting this work (1916)
I had not realised before how good it is - an entirely characteristically Baxian score.
I was surprised, at one point, to recognise a segment from his later film score for 'Oliver Twist':
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Karl Henning

I do not see how I could not move straight on to:

CD 5

"Papa"
Symphony № 97 in C, Hob. I:97 (1791)
Nikolaus Harnoncourt

Schubert/Berio
Rendering (1989-90)
Heinz Holliger

Hindemith
Concert Music for Strings & Brass, Op. 50 (1930)
Kurt Masur

The Berio is surely an inaugural listen
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Todd on August 14, 2022, 02:45:41 PM

Time to start exploring Fluffy's conducting a bit more.  I've heard perhaps ~100 or so discs of material, but there's much more out there.  Starting with this to see if he can make me really like Holst's big masterpiece.  No luck.

I didn't mind Herbie's 1961 Vienna Planets (review).

However, Herbalicious's 1981 Berlin recording is not better (review). I thought it would have been, considering it was a) recorded 20 years later, and b) the Berlin Philharmonic. But no, Herbo simply conducts the way he always conducts something: with lashings of aural syrup.

Todd

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on August 14, 2022, 03:53:55 PMBut no, Herbo simply conducts the way he always conducts something: with lashings of aural syrup.

He doesn't always conduct this way, not at all - particularly when he conducts bands other than the 60s-70s BPO - but he does rather a lot.  It should benefit this piece, but it does not.  I may try his later recording in the future.  Based not only on this recording, but others I have heard, the problem really is the piece itself.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Daverz

Quote from: Iota on August 14, 2022, 11:20:23 AM

Walton: Symphony No. 1
Philharmonia Orchestra, Haitink

There's no doubting Walton's incredible flair with an orchestra, and there are some genuinely thrilling passages and climaxes throughout this epic work, as well as joyous feeling of being high on life. And there's a great deal of it I enjoy unreservedly, but  I've still never yet  been completely won over by Walton, and am starting to feel a bit curmudgeonly. Though I do feel the moment may be a bit closer after what seems a brilliant performance from Haitink.

The work always blows me away in a good performance, but I'm a simple lad. 

Now playing:

Symphony No. 3

vers la flamme

Gustav Mahler: Symphony No.9 in D major. John Barbirolli, Berliner Philharmoniker

Just occurred to me that this is round 4 with this recording in as many days—wow. I'm hooked on Barbirolli's incredible performance of this phenomenal piece.

JBS

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

vers la flamme

Gustav Mahler: Lieder eines fahrenden Gesellen. Janet Baker, John Barbirolli, Hallé Orchestra

Definitely in a mood... I had to hear more of Barbirolli's Mahler, so I went for this last disc in the box. What a stellar recording of these songs. I always used to say I prefer men singing this cycle, but Janet Baker and Frederica von Stade are making me rethink that.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 14, 2022, 02:53:00 PM
I do not see how I could not move straight on to:

CD 5

"Papa"
Symphony № 97 in C, Hob. I:97 (1791)
Nikolaus Harnoncourt

Schubert/Berio
Rendering (1989-90)
Heinz Holliger

Hindemith
Concert Music for Strings & Brass, Op. 50 (1930)
Kurt Masur

The Berio is surely an inaugural listen

How do you like the Hindemith/Masur?

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Todd on August 14, 2022, 08:26:31 AM

Wrapping up a mini-Koeckert splurge for this weekend.  All three works demonstrate a more relaxed sound than one often gets now, though the Smetana has plenty of bite where needed.  The Schumann, in particular, sounds gorgeous.  My listening this weekend makes me hope than UMG makes all of the Koeckert's studio recordings available for streaming, starting with the Haydn Op 20.  (The Trout with Eschenbach would be good to hear, too.)  Alternatively, a big box would be good.  I will have to revisit their LvB cycle soon.

Cool cover art!

bhodges

From June, the 18-year-old pianist (and gold medal winner) Yunchan Lim in the final round of the Van Cliburn Competition in Rachmaninoff's Third Piano Concerto, with Marin Alsop and the Fort Worth Symphony Orchestra. This has been making the rounds for weeks, and for good reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPJL488cfRw&t=3s

--Bruce

TheGSMoeller

Checking out this newly arrived box set, and just as anyone would do when receiving this set I will start with disc six featuring symphonies 9 & 14.

JBS

CD 4, featuring two of LvB's greatest works, Opus 60 in B Flat Major and Opus 92 in A Major

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Brian

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on August 14, 2022, 06:55:14 PM
Checking out this newly arrived box set, and just as anyone would do when receiving this set I will start with disc six featuring symphonies 9 & 14.
That makes sense, two very contrasting works so you get a sense of the full range!

Operafreak

Coleridge-Taylor: Piano Quintet & Clarinet Quintet- The Nash Ensemble
The true adversary will inspire you with boundless courage.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Brian on August 14, 2022, 07:12:40 PM
That makes sense, two very contrasting works so you get a sense of the full range!

Absolutely, Brian!

Que

Quote from: JBS on August 14, 2022, 05:39:04 PM

I noticed that one, intriguing! Biondi is an experienced opera conductor, but operas from a different age.

And?  :)

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: absolutelybaching on August 14, 2022, 11:06:30 PMThis is a wonderful surprise way to start the day:

Johann Sebastian Bach's Harpsichord Concerto BWV 1060 
    Christine Schornsheim, Neues Bachisches Collegium Musicum

Very nice.

The third movement of BWV 1060:

https://youtu.be/QSs5ijlJlt0

Lisztianwagner

Arnold Schönberg
5 Pieces for Orchestra

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Operafreak

Vaughan Williams: A Sea Symphony, I. A Song for All Seas, All Ships

, London Philharmonic Orchestra, London Philharmonic Choir/    Bernard Haitink

The true adversary will inspire you with boundless courage.