What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ritter, Mandryka, Maestro267 and 22 Guests are viewing this topic.

bhodges

Quote from: ritter on August 17, 2022, 01:31:49 PM
Now listening to another Cello Concerto from the "intervening years"  ;), Marc-André Dalbavie's (2013).

I find Dalbavie's sensual, almost hedonistic orchestral writing hugely enjoyable.

Great to know about this; I haven't heard any Dalbavie in ages, and like his work a lot. (And agree with your "sensual, almost hedonistic" comment.) PS, you may be aware, but the cello soloist, Jay Campbell, is with the JACK Quartet, and often in the "astounding" category. First heard him in 2011 in the Cello Concerto, part of an all-Lutoslawski concert. Afterward, a Juilliard faculty member was talking about the three students who auditioned for the solo role: Campbell was the only one who had it memorized.

--Bruce

ritter

Quote from: Brewski on August 17, 2022, 02:03:53 PM
Great to know about this; I haven't heard any Dalbavie in ages, and like his work a lot. (And agree with your "sensual, almost hedonistic" comment.) PS, you may be aware, but the cello soloist, Jay Campbell, is with the JACK Quartet, and often in the "astounding" category. First heard him in 2011 in the Cello Concerto, part of an all-Lutoslawski concert. Afterward, a Juilliard faculty member was talking about the three students who auditioned for the solo role: Campbell was the only one who had it memorized.

--Bruce
Thanks for the info, Bruce, which I didn't know.

So I've actually seen Mr. Campbell live, when the JACK Quartet played Carter's SQs in London a couple of years ago. That was a great concert, and he sounds great in the Dalbavie recording I just listened to.

Todd

Quote from: ritter on August 17, 2022, 01:14:15 PM

Added to the queue.

Quote from: Brian on August 17, 2022, 01:16:27 PMThe work is definitely good enough to merit hearing/owning both.

The Ma is added to the queue as well.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

bhodges

Quote from: ritter on August 17, 2022, 02:13:04 PM
Thanks for the info, Bruce, which I didn't know.

So I've actually seen Mr. Campbell live, when the JACK Quartet played Carter's SQs in London a couple of years ago. That was a great concert, and he sounds great in the Dalbavie recording I just listened to.

Excellent! You are making me really eager to hear this recording.

--Bruce

San Antone

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on August 17, 2022, 09:45:33 AM
Is that the Schönberg's arrangement? I know he made one for Das Lied von der Erde.....

No ... from the record label description

QuoteThis recording was made under the direction of Reinbert de Leeuw in December 2019, two months before his death.

A few weeks before that, he had called Thomas Dieltjens, artistic director of Het Collectief, to tell him: 'Since our concert in mid-July 2019 at the Saintes Festival, I've been haunted by Das Lied von der Erde. I'm totally under its spell, and every day I discover new things in this masterpiece by Mahler. Wouldn't it be a dream if we could record this music with the outstanding group of instrumentalists and soloists we had in Saintes? And preferably as soon as possible?'

Reinbert himself made the arrangement for fifteen instrumentalists and two soloists and invested all his remaining strength in the recording of this music, which encompasses the whole of life, from the freshness of birth to the moment of farewell... A testamentary album, with the moving mezzo-soprano Lucile Richardot, which gives us an opportunity to pay tribute to one of the key ambassadors of twentieth-century music.

vers la flamme

Quote from: Brian on August 17, 2022, 01:46:54 PM

Nos. "6" and 4. Korstick is rapidly becoming one of my favorite Beethoven concerto cycles, as is another recent pianist with a driven approach, Oliver Schnyder.

0-7? They keep adding more and more don't they  :laugh:

Now playing:

Anton Bruckner: Symphony No.8 in C minor, WAB 108. Daniel Barenboim, Berlin Philharmonic

I love this cycle so much. The 8th is growing on me. For a while it was the only Bruckner symphony I didn't like (I know, I know; I might deserve to be hanged for this opinion), but it's making more sense to me now.

DavidW

Lean, driven performance but very well done, I really like it!  Will be listening to it again.  I'm surprised how much I'm liking Adam Fischer's cycle.  I think I stereotyped him as the classical era guy.

Karl Henning

Quote from: DavidW on August 17, 2022, 03:50:39 PM

Lean, driven performance but very well done, I really like it!  Will be listening to it again.  I'm surprised how much I'm liking Adam Fischer's cycle.  I think I stereotyped him as the classical era guy.

Nice!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

vers la flamme

^Hey, that Adam Fischer Mahler 8th does look excellent.

Thread duty:

Henri Dutilleux: Symphony No.2, "Le double". Yan Pascal Tortelier, BBC Philharmonic

Not sure whether I prefer this recording or the much older Charles Munch/Concerts Lamoreaux. Both excellent. The music itself is clicking with me lately.

JBS

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

vers la flamme

Witold Lutosławski: Symphony No.3. Witold Lutosławski, Berlin Philharmonic

Well, I haven't heard this in like 2 years, but it sounds absolutely excellent tonight. Perfect followup to that Dutilleux symphony, too.

Operafreak

Berlioz: Sinfonie Fantastique- San Francisco Symphony Orchestra, Michael Tilson Thomas
The true adversary will inspire you with boundless courage.

Harry

Johann Sebastian Bach.

Cantate No. 63/61/132/172.

Christen Ätzet diesen Tag.
Nun Komm, der Heiden Heiland.
Bereitet die Wege, bereitet die Bahn.
Erschallet, ihr Lieder.

Ingrid Schmithüsen, Soprano.
Yoshikazu Mera Counter.
Makoto Sakurada, Tenor.
Peter Kooij, Bass.
Bach Collegium Japan, Masaaki Suzuki.

Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Que

Morning listening on Spotify:

Pierre Ballard 1631, Claire Antonini.

Harry

Quote from: Que on August 17, 2022, 11:01:41 PM
Morning listening on Spotify:

Pierre Ballard 1631, Claire Antonini.

I put that one on my order list, found it to be quite good.
Good morning Que.

Mandryka

Interesting to compare Dionysus Now's style in Willaert with Beauty Farm's style in Willaert's contemporary Gombert. Dionysus Now are much more energetic and passionate. I hope they do some Gombert!

Isn't it strange that complex counterpoint was felt to be a suitable form for a mass? From Ockeghem to Willaert that's what happens. The sense of the words, the spiritual content, seems to be abstracted away if not completely, then almost. What's the theological justification of that?
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Harry

New acquisition

Johann Pachelbel.
Complete Organ Works, III.
CD 1 from III.
"Passion".

Michael Belotti plays on a Trost Organ, St Walpurgis, Großengottern, (1717)
Pitch: a' = 464 Hz (Chorton)
Temperament: Werckmeister (Generalbaß-Unterweisung 1698)

Since I have the first two volumes I also bought the last (third) volume, which I forgot to order when it was released. I am midly positive about these performances, and bought them primarily for the Organs used, and sometimes great interpretations of pieces I know well. The only criticism one could have is the slow pace Michael Belotti displays throughout. He is flexible to a certain extent, but he is definitively Zen minded.

The Trost organ is a sweet instrument and sounds terrific, especially in the SACD version.

Operafreak

Bruckner: Symphony No. 6 in A major-   Staatskapelle Berlin-    Daniel Barenboim
The true adversary will inspire you with boundless courage.

Traverso

Bach

Brandenburg concertos 1,2 & 3

Harry

John Ireland.

The Forgotten Suite.
A Downland Suite.
Mai-Dun.
The Forgotten Rite.
A London Overture.
The Holy Boy.
Epic March.

Sinfonia of London, John Wilson.

Hat tip to Jeffrey, (van der Molen). It is indeed a magnificent performance, and ditto sound. Wilson brings much enthusiasm to familiar works, and reinvents them. He is one of the conductors that Chandos can be proud of,