What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Traverso

aligreto

Poulenc: Piano Music played by Eric Le Sage

From CD 4:

Aubade, concerto chorégraphique pour piano et dix-huit instruments [Le Sage/Deneve]

What I find most attractive in this work is the composition of the ensemble, the scoring for those varied instruments and the wonderful sonorities achieved with them. It is very exciting and engaging. The variety of music on offer in the work is also interesting and appealing.

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

vers la flamme

Allan Pettersson (arranged by Eskil Hemberg): Suite from Barefoot Songs for Soprano & Chorus. Eskil Hemberg, Stockholm University Chorus, soprano Margareta Dahlstrom

Very beautiful, ethereal arrangements of six of the Barfotasånger, including the one that formed the basis of the Violin Concerto, "Herren går på ängen".

ritter

It's been a while s sine I last listened to any Ginastera:

Lisztianwagner

Franz Liszt
Transcendetal Etudes

Daniil Trifonov (pianist)
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

vers la flamme

Krzysztof Penderecki: Symphony No.3. Antoni Wit, Polish National RSO

Revisiting for the first time in some two years. Sounds excellent.

Mandryka

The Netherlands is full of good organs and good organists -- a Vivialdi/Bach transcription in Maastricht, played by Joske Siebelink. Lovely to see this good film of the organ,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE9F39aWU2w&ab_channel=JoskeSiebelink
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Harry

Quote from: Mandryka on September 25, 2022, 06:39:23 AM
The Netherlands is full of good organs and good organists -- a Vivialdi/Bach transcription in Maastricht, played by Joske Siebelink. Lovely to see this good film of the organ,

It is, totally agree, and fun to listen to.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Traverso

Quote from: Mandryka on September 25, 2022, 06:39:23 AM

Thank you for posting and of course you are right.

Traverso

vers la flamme

Kurt Atterberg: Symphony No.1 in B minor, op.3. Ari Rasilainen, Radio-Sinfonie-Orchester Frankfurt

Inspired by a random Amazon commenter who said something along the lines of "if you like Pettersson, try Atterberg!" I can't say I see much of a connection just yet beyond, obviously, the mutual Swedishness of the two, but it sounds fine so far. I know there are people here who really love this composer. I like what I've heard which is not much; I ordered this CD early in the summertime and haven't heard any of it yet.

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Spotted Horses

Quote from: aligreto on September 25, 2022, 05:04:23 AM
Poulenc: Piano Music played by Eric Le Sage

From CD 4:

Aubade, concerto chorégraphique pour piano et dix-huit instruments [Le Sage/Deneve]

What I find most attractive in this work is the composition of the ensemble, the scoring for those varied instruments and the wonderful sonorities achieved with them. It is very exciting and engaging. The variety of music on offer in the work is also interesting and appealing.

It appears to be very attractive collection, although it not seems to be an out-of-print, relatively difficult to find item.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Spotted Horses

Mozart, Symphonies No 31, 32, Norrington, Stuttgart

Wonderfully energetic performances with prominent brass. Aside from the last 4, Mozart symphonies strike me as crowd pleasers, with a bit of Mozart magic dust sprinkled throughout.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

SonicMan46

Quote from: Spotted Horses on September 25, 2022, 07:59:15 AM
It appears to be very attractive collection, although it not seems to be an out-of-print, relatively difficult to find item.

Although I had this music by others, the comments and reviews on this Eric Le Sage offering impressed me, so I made a purchase at ArkivMusic - only $25 (plus S/H) - unfortunately the 6 discs are in a double jewel box (extra front and back flippable inserts), which was crack in several places and not useable - contacted their support and w/i a week I was sent a new 6-disc Jewel box WELL packed - if you don't currently own this music, the Le Sage performances are excellent and the packaging is a space-saver.  Dave :)

vandermolen

Bliss: The Lady of Shalott Ballet in one act after Tennyson
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Traverso

SonicMan46

Quote from: Operafreak on September 25, 2022, 01:32:10 AM

Victor Herbert: Cello Concertos Nos. 1 & 2-Mark Kosower (cello)-Ulster Orchestra, JoAnn Falletta
Victor Herbert, a cellist, conductor and composer, best remember for his operettas pre-WW I - first paragraph below from his rather impressive Wiki article.  On Spotify, I listened to the Kosower/Falletta recording and enjoyed - then to the Lynn Harrell/Marriner older performance (well reviewed in Fanfare) - but the 'anthology' on the second disc was of much less interest (not a fan of operettas) - I'd like to have these cello concertos by Herbert in my collection, so will look at some more reviews.  Dave :)

ADDENDUM: - reviews of Kosower vs. Harrell attached - might depend on the bonus tracks and/or recording dates/sonics - I had a 100% Irish grandmother and have always liked Irish music & tunes, so the Falletta might be my pick? 

QuoteVictor Herbert (1859–1924) was an American composer, cellist and conductor of English and Irish ancestry and German training. Although Herbert enjoyed important careers as a cello soloist and conductor, he is best known for composing many successful operettas that premiered on Broadway from the 1890s to World War I. He was also prominent among the Tin Pan Alley composers and was later a founder of the American Society of Composers, Authors, and Publishers (ASCAP). A prolific composer, Herbert produced two operas, a cantata, 43 operettas, incidental music to 10 plays, 31 compositions for orchestra, nine band compositions, nine cello compositions, five violin compositions with piano or orchestra, 22 piano compositions and numerous songs, choral compositions and orchestrations of works by other composers, among other music.(Source)

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on September 25, 2022, 06:31:19 AM
Franz Liszt
Transcendetal Etudes

Daniil Trifonov (pianist)

Now:

Franz Liszt
Concert Etudes

Excellent technique, but the passion Trifonov puts into the performances is also great.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler