What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

akebergv and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

vers la flamme

Round two:

Allan Pettersson: Concerto for Strings No.1. Johannes Goritzki, Deutsche Kammerakademie Neuss

Holding off on the 3rd for now because it's so damn long, and because I'm intimidated by the prospect of a 30-minute movement for strings alone labeled only "Mesto". But this is really interesting music to me right now.

Interestingly, I have one other recording from these forces (Goritzki and the Kammerakademie): symphonies by Michael Haydn. Talk about diversity of repertoire.

prémont

Quote from: Mandryka on September 25, 2022, 06:39:23 AM
The Netherlands is full of good organs and good organists -- a Vivialdi/Bach transcription in Maastricht, played by Joske Siebelink. Lovely to see this good film of the organ,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE9F39aWU2w&ab_channel=JoskeSiebelink

Thanks, I'm duly impressed. It is very well done by a 19-year-old.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

vers la flamme

Edward Elgar: The Dream of Gerontius, op.38. Richard Hickox, London Symphony Orchestra & Chorus, soloists Felicity Palmer, Arthur Davies and Gwynne Howell

Ah, what a wonderful performance; I'm glad to have it, even if I ultimately prefer Barbirolli/Hallé. The work itself has really blown me away each time I've listened to it over the past month, and fully convinced me of Elgar's greatness. And English oratorio is really not a genre I go for often. (In fact it might be the only one I've ever listened to, unless we're counting Handel.)

Todd

9.  Very well played, as expected.  The relative highlight is the Molto vivace, where the Dude and crew bring out some string detail and later some wind detail in a manner slightly different from other versions.  Not a top five choice, or anything, but nice.  Pity he did not record the Sixth, too.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Karl Henning

Quote from: Operafreak on September 25, 2022, 01:32:10 AM

Victor Herbert: Cello Concertos Nos. 1 & 2-Mark Kosower (cello)-Ulster Orchestra, JoAnn Falletta

What do you think?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: SonicMan46 on September 25, 2022, 08:33:00 AM
Victor Herbert, a cellist, conductor and composer, best remember for his operettas pre-WW I - first paragraph below from his rather impressive Wiki article.  On Spotify, I listened to the Kosower/Falletta recording and enjoyed - then to the Lynn Harrell/Marriner older performance (well reviewed in Fanfare) - but the 'anthology' on the second disc was of much less interest (not a fan of operettas) - I'd like to have these cello concertos by Herbert in my collection, so will look at some more reviews.  Dave :)

ADDENDUM: - reviews of Kosower vs. Harrell attached - might depend on the bonus tracks and/or recording dates/sonics - I had a 100% Irish grandmother and have always liked Irish music & tunes, so the Falletta might be my pick? 

mildly amusing to me, I noted when watching Little Murders, that we see Eliott Gould near the Victor Herbert monument in Central Park.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

aligreto

Mahler: Das Lied von Der Erde [Herreweghe]

This is Mahler with a difference. It is a chamber version of the work arranged by Schoenberg-Riehn. I do not know the background to this rearrangement.
It is very lean in terms of orchestration when compared to the original Mahler version. Despite the relatively sparse orchestral accompaniment it is still very detailed, musically.
I like the voices of both the vocal soloists.
I am not normally one for one composer rearranging another composer's work but this is a vibrant presentation; certainly in the first half of the work. Everything here is well balanced and presented.
Of course one was waiting in anticipation of Der Abschied to see what effect this lean approach to such profound music had. Obviously, the vocalist has a major part to play here.
To be fair, Remmert did a very good job and the overall atmosphere was not overly diminished by the absence of a full orchestra here even if it falters a bit occasionally along the way.
It may not be as overwhelmingly intense as the full presentation but it was still impressive overall for what it is and the presentation should certainly be heard.

Karl Henning

Quote from: vers la flamme on September 25, 2022, 09:31:23 AM
Round two:

Allan Pettersson: Concerto for Strings No.1. Johannes Goritzki, Deutsche Kammerakademie Neuss

Holding off on the 3rd for now because it's so damn long, and because I'm intimidated by the prospect of a 30-minute movement for strings alone labeled only "Mesto". But this is really interesting music to me right now.

Interestingly, I have one other recording from these forces (Goritzki and the Kammerakademie): symphonies by Michael Haydn. Talk about diversity of repertoire.

I've found a used copy at a nice price. My curiosity is piqued.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

aligreto

Quote from: Spotted Horses on September 25, 2022, 07:59:15 AM

It appears to be very attractive collection, although it not seems to be an out-of-print, relatively difficult to find item.

Firstly, I am a self professed solo piano-phobe.
Secondly, I particularly like the music of Poulenc.
Thirdly, I find the pianism of Le Sage, given what I have already admitted, to be top drawer. I am impressed thus far.
Fourthly, if you can find the set, it comes very well recommended from me.

Quote from: SonicMan46 on September 25, 2022, 08:19:35 AM
Although I had this music by others, the comments and reviews on this Eric Le Sage offering impressed me, so I made a purchase at ArkivMusic - only $25 (plus S/H) - unfortunately the 6 discs are in a double jewel box (extra front and back flippable inserts), which was crack in several places and not useable - contacted their support and w/i a week I was sent a new 6-disc Jewel box WELL packed - if you don't currently own this music, the Le Sage performances are excellent and the packaging is a space-saver.  Dave :)

Thank you for offering a possible solution here Dave.

Karl Henning

Quote from: aligreto on September 25, 2022, 02:37:30 AM
Victoria: Tenebrae Responsories [Phillips/Tallis Scholars]

Tamquam ad latronem
Tenebrae factae sunt
Animam meam dilectam
Tradiderunt me
Iesum tradidit impius
Caligaverunt oculi mei

I've been dipping into the Michael Noone Victoria box of late, myself, Fergus!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

vers la flamme

^Can't wait to hear your thoughts Karl.

George Frideric Handel: Israel in Egypt, HWV 54. Andrew Parrott, Taverner Choir & Players

First listen, excellent performance from the Parrott and his Taverner people.

aligreto

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 25, 2022, 11:21:57 AM
I've been dipping into the Michael Noone Victoria box of late, myself, Fergus!

That is a terrific set which I trust that you are enjoying.
Good day to you, Karl.

vandermolen

John Kinsella: Symphony No.7 (live recording)

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Lisztianwagner

Allan Pettersson
Violin Concerto No.2

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Karl Henning

Shostakovich
Symphony № 4 in c minor, Op. 43

BBC Symphony
Gennady Rozhdestnensky
h/t to Jeffrey
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

vers la flamme

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on September 25, 2022, 12:05:18 PM
Allan Pettersson
Violin Concerto No.2

What do you think?

Now playing:

Edward Elgar: The Spirit of England, op.80. Andrew Davis, BBC Symphony Orchestra & Chorus, tenor Andrew Staples

The first movement has some really beautiful melodies. Elgar was a gifted melodist.

aligreto

Strauss: Metamorphosen [Holliger]

This is glorious and magnificent music. It is a work that is fundamentally about loss and yearning for something lost.
This version is definitely different from others that I have heard before. Yes, it has a great sense of tragedy and yearning but I find it to be, somehow, a more gentle and very poignant presentation than others' but, interestingly, with no loss of intensity. It is definitely no less intense than other versions that I have heard but neither is it filled with the despair and desolation that I have encountered elsewhere.
It is a wonderful presentation and I very much like it.
The harmonic writing in this work is just superb! If you have not heard this work you are definitely missing out on something that is genuinely special and wonderful.

aligreto

Quote from: vandermolen on September 25, 2022, 11:44:43 AM
John Kinsella: Symphony No.7 (live recording)

That disc yet again, Jeffrey.
Wonderful.
They say that quality, like cream, always rises to the top.

8)

Karl Henning

Quote from: vers la flamme on September 25, 2022, 12:34:50 PM
Now playing:

Edward Elgar: The Spirit of England, op.80. Andrew Davis, BBC Symphony Orchestra & Chorus, tenor Andrew Staples

The first movement has some really beautiful melodies. Elgar was a gifted melodist.

Tangentially, you remind me that I've not listened to The Music Makers in an age ....
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA