What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry

Robert Schumann.
Complete Piano Works.
Volume III.
Florian Uhlig, Piano.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Harry

Antonin Dvorak.
Symphony No. 6 & 7.
Staatskapelle Berlin, Otmar Suitner.

Harry

Johann Rufinatscha.
Volume I. Orchestral Music.
Overture "The Bride of Messina".
Symphony No. 6.
BBC Philharmonic, Gianandrea Noseda.

Chandos never recorded a second volume. Another of those abandoned projects.

Todd

Did it actually get better?  Maybe.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Traverso

Quote from: aukhawk on September 30, 2022, 01:21:16 AM
That colourful scarf - which he can be seen wearing in many photos of that vintage (his church was obviously a bit chilly!) - was knitted for him by Yvonne Loriod.
(Information from the Jennifer Bate 6xCD box set)

ahem...... :)

Lisztianwagner

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Harry

Pjotr I"lliyh Thaikovsky.
Symphony No. 5.
Capriccio Italien.
London SO, Gennadi Rozhdestvensky.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Spotted Horses

Didn't have a lot of time, listened to Presto in B-flat, Movements pertetuels, Melancolia again.

Melancolia is a particularly nice piece of about 6 minutes which seems to cultivate a style reminiscent of Faure. A pleasure.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Traverso

Villa-Lobos

CD 1

Introduction to the Choros

vers la flamme

Arnold Bax: Symphony No.4. Bryden Thomson, Ulster Orchestra

My favorite Bax CD by far. The 4th symphony is really interesting, the performance is excellent. Dave Hurwitz has this running joke on his Youtube channel about how Bax writes music that sounds like it came from an alien world, which is something I had thought to myself anyway. He is very, very unique, and without ever straying too far from conventional tonality. I'm not quite sure how he does it.

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Fikret Amirov: The Arabian Nights. Rzaev/Bolshoi Orchestra. 

Linz

Beethoven The Late Quartets, The Hollywood Quartet CD1 with String Quartet No.12 in E flat major, op.127, No. 14 in C sharp minor, op131

Traverso

Messiaen

Biography

Press and public alike proclaim American organist Jon Gillock for his sensitive and moving performances. Known for his ability to express and interpret the mystical and sublime, the deep  and profound, to communicate with and move his audiences, he is especially fond of performing the "French spiritual repertoire". This includes the music of such composers  as César Franck, Maurice Duruflé, Louis Vierne, Nicolas de Grigny, François Couperin, Charles Tournemire,   and, of course, Olivier Messiaen and Johann Sebastian Bach.

Study with Olivier Messiaen in Paris at the Conservatoire Nationale Superieur de la Musique

My first acquaintance with this musician is immediately a very positive one. The Jennifer Bate recording (yesterday)was very fine although her earlier recordings in the church of Beauvais had a more lyrical character. This one is more cerebral and contemplative in nature.

The Villa-Lobos recording is a real treasure in all it's kaleidoscopic spendor.

SonicMan46

Herbert, Victor (1859-1924) - Cello Concertos - Harrell vs. Kosower (older & new recordings) - quote on bottom from me about 5 days ago - listened to both on Spotify and read the attached reviews and could not decide, so found used copies on the Amazon MP and bought both for <$20 USD, including S/H - each played fine and CD surfaces pristine - the second concerto encourage Dvorak to compose his own.  Dave :)

QuoteVictor Herbert, a cellist, conductor and composer, best remember for his operettas pre-WW I - first paragraph below from his rather impressive Wiki article.  On Spotify, I listened to the Kosower/Falletta recording and enjoyed - then to the Lynn Harrell/Marriner older performance (well reviewed in Fanfare) - but the 'anthology' on the second disc was of much less interest (not a fan of operettas) - I'd like to have these cello concertos by Herbert in my collection, so will look at some more reviews.  Dave :)
QuoteVictor Herbert (1859–1924) was an American composer, cellist and conductor of English and Irish ancestry and German training. Although Herbert enjoyed important careers as a cello soloist and conductor, he is best known for composing many successful operettas that premiered on Broadway from the 1890s to World War I. He was also prominent among the Tin Pan Alley composers and was later a founder of the American Society of Composers, Authors, and Publishers (ASCAP). A prolific composer, Herbert produced two operas, a cantata, 43 operettas, incidental music to 10 plays, 31 compositions for orchestra, nine band compositions, nine cello compositions, five violin compositions with piano or orchestra, 22 piano compositions and numerous songs, choral compositions and orchestrations of works by other composers, among other music.(Source)

Linz

Bruckner Symphony No. 6 in A Major Kurt Eichhorn,  Bruckner Orchester Linz

Lisztianwagner

J.S. Bach
Violin Concertos No. 1 & 2

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler