What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46, Roasted Swan, Karl Henning and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

JBS

Mahler Symphony no 2
Ormandy/Minneapolis Symphony Orchestra
Corinne Frank Bowen soprano
Anne O'Malley Gallogly contralto
Twin Cities Symphony Chorus
Recorded in 1935. As far as I can tell, this was the second commercial recording of the symphony. Ormandy doesn't linger over many roses, but he wasn't a speed demon: overall time is approximately 76 1/2 minutes.  There are some intonation flubs but the sound is good compared to most recordings of that era.

ETA
Quite out of the blue, Ormandy included peals of church bells over the final moments of the symphony.

Onto another CD from the set
The Fourth Symphonies of both Schumann and Beethoven, filled out by the Leonore Overture 3

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Operafreak

Dvorak: String Quartets Nos 4 and 5

Panocha Quartet
The true adversary will inspire you with boundless courage.

Symphonic Addict

Strauss: Don Quixote

A fine reading overall, but I thought it lacked something to be entirely convincing.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mandryka

Quote from: Operafreak on October 02, 2022, 07:36:42 PM

Panocha Quartet

What do you make of these early quartets?
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

vandermolen

Quote from: foxandpeng on October 02, 2022, 03:50:05 PM
Ib Nørholm
Symphony 5 'The Elements'
Jan Latham-Koenig
Danish RSO
Via YouTube

I've long been curious about Ib Nørholm's symphonies, so have dug out my YouTube rips from some years ago. I know I listened with interest, but remember little of them. The Fifth Symphony is spread over four movements depicting the elements of air, earth, fire and water. Far more complex than my limited musical understanding can effectively describe but I really do like this kind of thing.
Most interesting Danny.

Early morning listening: Bax Symphony No.3 Hallé Orchestra/John Barbirolli
This is a superb restoration of this classic 1943/44 recording - the best I have heard. Interesting cover-art as well.
Definitely one for all my fellow Baxians out there!  ;D
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

ritter

Quote from: absolutelybaching on October 03, 2022, 12:34:52 AM
Gustav Mahler's Symphony No. 04 
    Michael Gielen, SWR Sinfonieorchester Baden-Baden und Freiburg
I am an admirer of Michael Gielen, think he was an important and insightful Mahler conductor, but I found very little to enjoy in his recording of the Fourth . And the soprano in the final lied is not really suited to the part IMHO. A pity.

Mandryka

Just beautiful! Huber and Gerhaher more than that.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Operafreak on October 02, 2022, 07:36:42 PM

Panocha Quartet

I always get peeved when I see this set mentioned, because I have proof that I bought it, but I can't find it, and I don't remember getting rid of it. Grrrr!

(I'm not lacking for the repertoire, since I have the cycles by the Prager and Stamitz quartets, besides numerous individual recordings.)
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Que

Quote from: absolutelybaching on October 02, 2022, 11:30:11 PM
Domenico Scarlatti's
Keyboard Sonatas 48

Scott Ross (harpsichord)

Another small dose of these never-ending sonatas. I enjoy them, for around 30 minutes -and then I find them rather too relentless to warrant a second round any time soon (though that might have more to do with Scott Ross than Domenico Scarlatti!)

I think so!  :)

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

foxandpeng

Quote from: vandermolen on October 02, 2022, 11:48:22 PM
Most interesting Danny.

Early morning listening: Bax Symphony No.3 Hallé Orchestra/John Barbirolli
This is a superb restoration of this classic 1943/44 recording - the best I have heard. Interesting cover-art as well.
Definitely one for all my fellow Baxians out there!  ;D

I definitely need to hear this! Thank you.

TD:

Second spin of the Ib Norholm Symphony 5 in progress. Lots of brass and percussion! I like it very much :)

Ib Nørholm
Symphony 5 'The Elements'
Jan Latham-Koenig
Danish RSO
Ripped Via YouTube
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Traverso

Papy Oli

Good afternoon all,

Listening to a new acquisition from the Presto sale:

Olivier

Lisztianwagner

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Traverso

Telemann

This is a great Telemann recording, especially the overture No 1 in D Major fills my heart with joy. :)

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

vandermolen

Britten: Sinfonia da Requiem
SWR Symphony Orchestra cond. Britten (1956 recording)
As the booklet notes, the Sinfonia, with its liturgical titles to each movement pre-echoes Honegger's Symphony No.3 'Liturgique' written five years later.
A fine, deeply felt, performance not unlike Britten's later Decca recording:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Traverso

Villa-Lobos

Bachianas Brasileiras 1,4,5 & 6

vandermolen

Vaughan Williams (150th Anniversary on 12th October)
'A London Symphony' (1920 version) for piano duet.

Operafreak

The Call of Rome: Music by Allegri, F. Anerio, Josquin and Victoria-The Sixteen, Harry Christophers
The true adversary will inspire you with boundless courage.