Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vers la flamme

Arnold Bax: Symphony No.2. David Lloyd-Jones, Royal Scottish National Orchestra

Man, this stuff is good!

Karl Henning

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on October 03, 2022, 06:41:49 PM

Have a great week, Karl!

California and NY have decided to outlaw sales of gas-powered automobiles by 2035. I have a feeling that Massachusetts will be the next.  ;D

A great week to you, as well, Manabu!

And now, at last:

Pettersson
Concerto № 3 for String Orchestra (1956/57)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: vers la flamme on October 03, 2022, 04:33:39 PM

Benjamin Britten: War Requiem, op.66. Benjamin Britten, London Symphony Orchestra & Chorus

Not a work I return to often, but a good one.

To that point: I need to revisit this soon-ish.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Operafreak

Eduard Franck: String Quintets- Edinger Quintet: Christiane Edinger, Tassilo Kaiser (violins), Rainer Kimstedt, Uwe Martin Haiberg (violas) & Katharina Maechler (cello)
The true adversary will inspire you with boundless courage.

Karl Henning

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 03, 2022, 06:59:33 PM
And now, at last:

Pettersson

Much to my surprise and delight (really) I'm very enthusiastic on behalf of these three Concerti.

Will soon listen to all three again.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

vandermolen

Quote from: JBS on October 03, 2022, 06:15:19 PM
My Presto order landed today, so first off

Quite impressed by it.
[To sort out the credits--Gerstein is the harpdichordist, DKB the orchestra for Symphony 3; CBSO is the orchestra in the Concerto and Symphony 7; Zupancic is the soloist in the Concerto.]

To be followed shortly by

Excellent! Looks like a great CD. Symphony No.3 is the only one that I heard live in concert. I wonder how the DGG compares with the Chandos recording.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: vers la flamme on October 03, 2022, 06:51:30 PM

Arnold Bax: Symphony No.2. David Lloyd-Jones, Royal Scottish National Orchestra

Man, this stuff is good!

One of the best Bax symphonies IMO. Nice to see a fellow Baxian here :)

NP
Miaskovsky: Symphony 16 USSR SSO/Svetlanov
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: vers la flamme on October 03, 2022, 04:33:39 PM

Benjamin Britten: War Requiem, op.66. Benjamin Britten, London Symphony Orchestra & Chorus

Not a work I return to often, but a good one.
+1

Que

Morning listening is a return to Music from the Peterhouse Partbooks, vol. 1:

vandermolen

NYM Symphony No.22 (Symphonic Ballad)

foxandpeng

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 03, 2022, 06:59:33 PM
A great week to you, as well, Manabu!

And now, at last:

Pettersson

Great to see all the love on the site for the Pettersson String Concerti 🙂. Bit of space in the meetings diary this morning, so Mr Goritzki has my vote for the first spin of the day ....
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Papy Oli

Good morning all,

Bach - Cantatas - BWV 7 (Harnoncourt/Leonhardt)

Olivier

Maestro267

Beethoven: Violin Sonata No. 3
Zukerman (violin), Barenboim (piano)

Beethoven: Piano Trio No. 3
Barenboim (piano), Zukerman (violin), du Pré (cello)

vandermolen

Pehr Henrik Nordgren
Symphony No.7 (2003)
One of the most impressive 21st Century symphonies that I have heard (along with Soderlind's 8th Symphony 'Jean Sibelius, In Memoriam' and James MacMillan's 4th Symphony)

Que

Operafreak

Grieg: Piano Concerto & Incidental Music to 'Peer Gynt'/ Bergen Philharmonic Orchestra and Choirs, Edward Gardner
The true adversary will inspire you with boundless courage.

Spotted Horses

A bit more Poulenc. Eric Le Sage, Les Soirees de Nazelles, Suite Francaise, Humoresque.

The first two pieces are suites, the lasts a brief individual movement. Les Soirees de Nazelles recreates informal improvisations at Poulenc's country house, Site Francaise is a Neo Baroque suite composed to accompany a stage production. Strings of delightful little gems.

I recognized that the Suite Francaise is also available as a piece for winds, percussion and harpsichord, and so listened to a recording by Dutoit. The piano version made a stronger impression, with it's poitgnant Neo-baroque harmonies.

There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

foxandpeng

Quote from: vandermolen on October 04, 2022, 01:11:30 AM
Pehr Henrik Nordgren
Symphony No.7 (2003)
One of the most impressive 21st Century symphonies that I have heard (along with Soderlind's 8th Symphony 'Jean Sibelius, In Memoriam' and James MacMillan's 4th Symphony)

Yes! Nordgren is excellent. I have heard the discs with 2 and 4, and 3 and 5 in the last few days, finding them hugely positive. 2 and 4 have been particularly worthwhile. Time for a run at 7 soon, as that is coupled with a good solid 8 :)

Listening now to both of those I have already prodded, on the back of your post 🎻
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

vers la flamme

Arnold Bax: Symphony No.5. David Lloyd-Jones, Royal Scottish National Orchestra

First listen in almost 2 years, and have not quite formed an impression yet, but I am enjoying it so far.