What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBS and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.

Lisztianwagner

I've already listened to it recently, but this piece has definitely blown me away......

Arnold Schönberg
Verklärte Nacht

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

vandermolen

Quote from: foxandpeng on October 04, 2022, 02:35:07 AM
Yes! Nordgren is excellent. I have heard the discs with 2 and 4, and 3 and 5 in the last few days, finding them hugely positive. 2 and 4 have been particularly worthwhile. Time for a run at 7 soon, as that is coupled with a good solid 8 :)

Listening now to both of those I have already prodded, on the back of your post 🎻
Excellent Danny! I have the Ondine CD but not the Finlandia. I misread your message as implying that you would be breaking off from listening to Nordgren to go out running ('Time for a run at 7.00 (am or pm?) I thought 'how impressive is that!'  8)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

foxandpeng

Quote from: vandermolen on October 04, 2022, 03:40:28 AM
Excellent Danny! I have the Ondine CD but not the Finlandia. I misread your message as implying that you would be breaking off from listening to Nordgren to go out running ('Time for a run at 7.00 (am or pm?) I thought 'how impressive is that!'  8)

*coughs*

*eats bagel*
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

vandermolen

Quote from: foxandpeng on October 04, 2022, 04:11:57 AM
*coughs*

*eats bagel*
LOL ;D

NP
Finzi: 'Requiem da camera' (1923-25)
A lovely and entirely characteristic work:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Traverso

Messiaen

In 1993 Naji succeeded Hakim Messiaen as organist of the church of La Trinite, Paris.

JBS

Quote from: vandermolen on October 03, 2022, 10:39:56 PM
Excellent! Looks like a great CD. Symphony No.3 is the only one that I heard live in concert. I wonder how the DGG compares with the Chandos recording.

I only have a hazy memory of the Chandos CD--the Third on this one is good, but it's the Seventh that packs a punch. (I don't have the Chandos recording of that one.)

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Todd

and

from

More crusty old recordings of even crustier, older works.  Dig the Lassus.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Karl Henning

Quote from: JBS on October 04, 2022, 05:09:23 AM
I only have a hazy memory of the Chandos CD--the Third on this one is good, but it's the Seventh that packs a punch. (I don't have the Chandos recording of that one.)

I near immediately nabbed the mp3 album. First, though:

Pettersson
Concerto № 2 for Violin & Orchestra (1977/78)
Ida Haendel, vn
Swedish Radio Symphony

Herbert Blomstedt
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Que

Quote from: Todd on October 04, 2022, 05:30:21 AM
More crusty old recordings of even crustier, older works.  Dig the Lassus.

Most of those early Early Music recordings are really outdated...

Lassus is like Bach: his genius will shine through in any performance.

Mountain Goat

Quote from: vandermolen on October 04, 2022, 01:11:30 AM
Pehr Henrik Nordgren
Symphony No.7 (2003)
One of the most impressive 21st Century symphonies that I have heard (along with Soderlind's 8th Symphony 'Jean Sibelius, In Memoriam' and James MacMillan's 4th Symphony)

I enjoy symphonies 3 & 5, but that's the only CD of his I have - the others seem to be hard to come by unfortunately!

Karl Henning

Quote from: Que on October 04, 2022, 06:01:28 AM
Most of those early Early Music recordings are really outdated...

Lassus is like Bach: his genius will shine through in any performance.

Indeed!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 04, 2022, 05:32:54 AM
Pettersson
Ida Haendel, vn
Swedish Radio Symphony

Herbert Blomstedt

I cannot say for absolutely sure, but this is what I think I remember: I had bought the cpo recording of the Concerto, listened (or tried to listen) once, came away feeling that the piece and probably the composer were awful. Was resolved as a consequence simply to avoid Pettersson.

I really enjoyed this, today. As with the String Concerti, I need to go back, as there is too much to "digest" on a single hearing, but I expect my enjoyment to deepen over time.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Spotted Horses

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 04, 2022, 06:28:34 AM
I cannot say for absolutely sure, but this is what I think I remember: I had bought the cpo recording of the Concerto, listened (or tried to listen) once, came away feeling that the piece and probably the composer were awful. Was resolved as a consequence simply to avoid Pettersson.

Glad you found the string concerti rewarding. It is the only Pettersson that I have managed to come to terms with.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

foxandpeng

Quote from: Mountain Goat on October 04, 2022, 06:15:05 AM
I enjoy symphonies 3 & 5, but that's the only CD of his I have - the others seem to be hard to come by unfortunately!

Spotifyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!

Always my choice.

Quote from: Spotted Horses on October 04, 2022, 06:32:36 AM
Glad you found the string concerti rewarding. It is the only Pettersson that I have managed to come to terms with.

Deeply rewarding stuff, and a gateway to other great works of his, I feel. Symphony 7, maybe, as a next step?
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

vandermolen

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 04, 2022, 05:32:54 AM
I near immediately nabbed the mp3 album. First, though:

Pettersson
Ida Haendel, vn
Swedish Radio Symphony

Herbert Blomstedt
I had the LP which made a huge impression on me.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mountain Goat on October 04, 2022, 06:15:05 AM
Well, I'd definitely recommend the extraordinary No.7

Spotted Horses

Quote from: foxandpeng on October 04, 2022, 06:40:23 AMDeeply rewarding stuff, and a gateway to other great works of his, I feel. Symphony 7, maybe, as a next step?

I have listened to the seventh, and I remember enjoying parts of it in an episodic way, but the overall musical arc of the work eluded me. Between the "good parts" I was lost at sea. :)

(That's the way I felt about a lot of Mahler, when I first encountered it.)
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Papy Oli

Bach Cantatas BWV 2, 3 & 4 (Rilling)

And more of Foccroulle's Bach organ works :

Olivier

Biffo

Bax: Overture, Elegy & Rondo - BBC Philharmonic conducted by Sir Andrew Davis

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Cemal Resit Rey: Scenes from Turkey.