What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linz, Harry and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.

Todd

First listen.  Perfectly serviceable second-rate music.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Linz

Mahler Symphony No 3 Ozawa Boston Symphony Orchestra with Jessye Norman soprano, Tanglewood Festival Chorus American Boychoir

TheGSMoeller

Elgar's 1st Symphony - with the LPO and Slatkin, seen below casting expecto patronum.

Lisztianwagner

Johann Strauss II
Phönix-Schwingen, Op.125

Johann Strauss II
Morgenblätter, Op.279

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Karl Henning

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on October 05, 2022, 01:58:10 PM
Elgar's 1st Symphony - with the LPO and Slatkin, seen below casting expecto patronum.

How's this set pleasing you, Greg?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Symphonic Addict

Rorem: Symphony No. 3

One of the great American Thirds. I have no idea why I didn't remember how spectacular this work is.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

foxandpeng

Christopher Rouse
Flute Concerto
Alan Gilbert
Royal Stockholm PO
BIS

This is a stand out work, if only for the beautiful Elegia, but is excellent throughout.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

VonStupp

George Dyson
Three Choral Hymns
Three Songs of Praise
Psalm 150
Thomas Trotter - organ
St. Michael's Singers - Jonathan Rennert

Confortate
Psalm 150
Three Songs of Praise
BBC Symphony Orchestra & Chorus - Richard Hickox

A run of Dyson choral music. I think I prefer the orchestrated versions over the organ only on Hyperion.

VS

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

vers la flamme

Gustav Mahler: Symphony No.6 in A minor. John Barbirolli, New Philharmonia Orchestra

I really like this recording. This is actually the first recording of the 6th that makes the Andante-Scherzo feel right to me.

JBS

The Fourth, with the BBCSO recorded 9/9/78 RAH London

First listen.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Operafreak

Les frères Francœur- Justin Taylor (harpsichord), Théotime Langlois de Swarte (violin)
The true adversary will inspire you with boundless courage.

Symphonic Addict

Röntgen: String Sextet in G major

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Harry

J.S.Bach.
Complete Cantatas.
Volume 19.
Bach collegium Japan, Masaaki Suzuki.
No. 86/37/104/166.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

vandermolen

Quote from: JBS on October 05, 2022, 04:43:26 PM
The Fourth, with the BBCSO recorded 9/9/78 RAH London

First listen.
I had a first listen the other day Jeffrey and thought that it was a fine performance, as was the 11th Symphony 'The Year 1905'. I'll be interested to know what you think.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Harry

Lyrita celebrating 50 years devoted to British Music.
Volume I.
CD I from IV,
William Alwyn, Malcolm Arnold, Henry Wood, Granville Bantock, Arnold Bax, Arthur Benjamin, William Bennett.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Traverso

Hildegard von Bingen

The Ave Maria,O auctrix vite is of a breathtaking beauty and therefore more than worth having this CD. The music is far removed from the atrocities that plague our time and offers a different perspective on what life can be.

vers la flamme

Pierre Boulez: Pli selon pli. Pierre Boulez, BBC Symphony Orchestra, w/ Halina Lukomska, soprano soloist

Have not heard this in ages.

Spotted Horses

Followed up the tenth symphony with the eleventh, by Allan Pettersson.

The two were written at the same time, when Pettersson was hospitalized for a kidney ailment. The tenth is more violently convulsive, the eleventh more contemplative, but still saturated with angst. I struggle with the "formlessness" of Pettersson's music, but I came away with some impression of what the music is about.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Operafreak

Brahms: The Final Piano Pieces-Stephen Hough (piano)
The true adversary will inspire you with boundless courage.