What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lisztianwagner, JBS, Linz (+ 1 Hidden) and 19 Guests are viewing this topic.

Papy Oli

Olivier

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: aligreto on October 07, 2022, 03:50:21 AM
Off topic for the moment but I want to voice a humble thought. This thread, for me, is the most active one that I visit for me to raise the point.

The Missing Members thread has been locked by a moderator. My inference from this is that you are all being bold again so we are going to lock you all out of the room.

I wonder if that way of dealing with the problem is the consensus of all of the moderators and the owner? An honest question, honestly. No provocation intended but I would like to read an answer to this one.

Fine decision. I support it.

vandermolen

Miaskovsky: Symphony No.16 (inspired by the 'Maxim Gorky' aircraft disaster - the funereal slow-movement is one of NYM's best):
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Traverso

SonicMan46

von Weber, Carl Maria (1786-1826) - Clarinet Concertos - Eric Hoeprich vs. Kari Kriikku, i.e. period and modern instruments; Hoeprich performs on a 10-key reproduction clarinet made by him after Griessling & Schlott, Berlin (c. early 19th century); recording from 2019.  I enjoy both of these performances - also have Antony Pay (period) & Martin Fröst (modern) in these works (must like them!  :laugh:)  Dave

Mirror Image

Quote from: Papy Oli on October 07, 2022, 04:00:02 AM
For now, dipping a very cautious toe in Berg's Lulu:

Curious to read what you think, Olivier. Lulu isn't one of my favorite Berg works (I prefer Wozzeck), but there are some terrifyingly great moments in this opera.

vandermolen

Quote from: absolutelybaching on October 07, 2022, 09:25:46 AM
Sergei Rachmaninov's
The Bells
André Previn, London Symphony Chorus, London Symphony Orchestra, Anna Reynolds, John Shirley-Quirke
That was a great CD!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Linz

Alexander Glazunov Piano Concerto in F minor op. 92 Severin von Eckardstein piano and Symphony No. 5 in B flat op. 55 The National Orchestra of Belgium Walter Weller

Lisztianwagner

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

vandermolen

Alan Hovhaness: Symphony No. 9 'St Vartan':

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on October 07, 2022, 05:17:35 AM
Alban Berg
Three Pieces for Orchestra

This work by Berg really manages to astound me, and this is a most terrific performance.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Linz

Solti the Romantic Russians Glinka Russlan and Ludmilla Overture, Mussorgsy Kovaschina Overture and a Night on Bare Mountain and Borodin Prince Igor Overtue and Polotvtsian Dances London Symphony Orchestra and Chorus

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Linz on October 07, 2022, 10:37:48 AM
Solti the Romantic Russians Glinka Russlan and Ludmilla Overture, Mussorgsy Kovaschina Overture and a Night on Bare Mountain and Borodin Prince Igor Overtue and Polotvtsian Dances London Symphony Orchestra and Chorus

GREAT disc/LP/recording whatever!!!

Linz

Quote from: Roasted Swan on October 07, 2022, 10:40:41 AM
GREAT disc/LP/recording whatever!!!
It is a CD and I am enjoying it immensely

Linz

Vauhan Williams Vernon Handley and The Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra and Choir Christopher Balmer viola, Flos campi, Oboe Concerto, Jonathan Small oboe, and Symphony No. 5 in D major

Karl Henning

Quote from: absolutelybaching on October 07, 2022, 09:58:23 AM
I will confess to only partially listening at one point, but was snapped back into paying full attention to it pretty quickly, because you're spot on about the greatness thing!

(* chortle *)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

JBS

Quote from: aligreto on October 07, 2022, 03:50:21 AM
Off topic for the moment but I want to voice a humble thought. This thread, for me, is the most active one that I visit for me to raise the point.

The Missing Members thread has been locked by a moderator. My inference from this is that you are all being bold again so we are going to lock you all out of the room.

I wonder if that way of dealing with the problem is the consensus of all of the moderators and the owner? An honest question, honestly. No provocation intended but I would like to read an answer to this one.

I took it as imposing a cooling off period on a harsh argument which has no real relation to the thread's actual topic.  The pertinent posts, however, were not removed, unlike prior incidents of which people have complained.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

aligreto

JS Bach: Art of Fugue, Canons 14, 15, 16 & 17 [Leonhardt]

aligreto