What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linz, Lisztianwagner and 26 Guests are viewing this topic.

JBS

Quote from: Todd on November 25, 2022, 06:36:44 AM

Sort of an afterthought in my recent download purchase, this recording is quite remarkable.  It sounds beautiful start to finish, and never more so than when the women sing.  The harmonies approach Morales levels of aural intoxication.  Maybe there's something in the water in Spain that inspires such beauty.  I hope to get to Victoria's massive Passion this weekend to test that pseudo-hypothesis.

Savall has just released a new CD of selections from the Codex.
https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/9377303--codex-las-huelgas

About 15-20 years ago there was a website that focused on this Codex, but it seems to have vanished into the aether some time ago.

TD
RVW: Old King Cole/The Wasps

From the Boult Decca Legacy set.
As issued originally, The Wasps was a separate LP, but Amazon doesn't have the separate cover image

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Karl Henning

Quote from: DavidW on November 25, 2022, 02:29:51 PMBruckner's 8th, Sibelius' 4th and Mahler's 5th.  That is old favorites to get back into listening.
Sweet!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Operafreak

Schubert: String Quartet No. 14 in D minor, D810 'Death and the Maiden'
Schubert: String Quartet in E major, D353, op.post.125, no.2

Melos Quartet (string quartet)

The true adversary will inspire you with boundless courage.

Madiel

Haydn op.77/1

Most enjoyable. The finale has some surprising unruly harmonies.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Madiel

Pejacevic: String Quartet no.2, op.58

It's taken me an age to get around to listening to this, Pejacevic's final completed work. Full-on late Romantic music, thick textures and lots of harmonic shifts. I'm enjoying this first listen, though I suspect it will take a few spins and more concentration to really wrap my head around the form. But definitely worth the listening.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

bhodges

Ravel: Rapsodie espagnol (Queensland Symphony Orchestra / Alondra de la Parra). Bursting with color, recorded in 2019 from the conductor's closing concerts with this orchestra.

-Bruce

SimonNZ

Que

Quote from: SimonNZ on November 25, 2022, 03:26:02 PM

Disc one

Found this 3cd bargain box going super cheap at the secondhand store yesterday

Nice catch! :)

vandermolen

Nino Rota: Symphony No.1

Rota 1.jpg
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Christo

Nino Rota's First is very much Vaughan Williams-like and indeed was composed under RVW's influence. I love it.
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Que

Some of the best stuff by Belder IMO.

Operafreak

Kim Andre Arnesen: Holy Spirit Mass-Kim André Arnesen

Lisztianwagner

Arnold Schönberg
Wind Quintet

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

vandermolen

Sir George Dyson 'Quo Vadis' (1939)
Written, to some extent, like Bliss's 'Morning Heroes' to assuage the horrors of the First World War (in which Dyson had served) this is a choral work of about one and three quarters hours. There are some longueurs, but it is worth hearing for the last few minutes 'To find the western path', which includes a setting of 'Holy is the true light' as set by Howells in 'Hymnus Paradisi' in which the music spiritually soars into the stratosphere, placing a retrospective glow on the whole work. This section always reduces me to tears:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

SonicMan46

Quote from: Que link ??? date=1669462950

Some of the best stuff by Belder IMO.

+1  Dave  8)

VonStupp

Quote from: vandermolen on November 26, 2022, 04:10:51 AMSir George Dyson 'Quo Vadis' (1939)
Written, to some extent, like Bliss's 'Morning Heroes' to assuage the horrors of the First World War (in which Dyson had served) this is a choral work of about one and three quarters hours. There are some longueurs, but it is worth hearing for the last few minutes 'To find the western path', which includes a setting of 'Holy is the true light' as set by Howells in 'Hymnus Paradisi' in which the music spiritually soars into the stratosphere, placing a retrospective glow on the whole work. This section always reduces me to tears:
I enjoy this one quite a bit too. It is long, but I also think the movements stand enough on their own that it can easily be enjoyed in small portions too.

It is the Night Hath No Wings movement that does me in; gets me every time.

VS

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Operafreak

Dvořák: Symphony No. 4 in D minor, Op. 13/ Dvořák: Symphony No. 5 in F major, Op. 76

Staatskapelle Berlin-    Otmar Suitner