What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd

30/1.  This cycle tracks variation movements separately, which is kinda handy.  Playing remains top notch.  Indeed, the more I listen, the more I want to hear Thibaudet record a piano sonata cycle.  (I've long wanted him to, knowing this will not happen.) 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Traverso

SonicMan46

Kozeluch, Leopold (1747-1818) - Keyboard Sonatas - he wrote about 50 of these works - there are now two complete 12-disc sets; I own the Jenny Kim on fortepiano; listening to the other on Spotify w/ Kemp English on a variety of historic instruments - do I need both?  Andrei and Todd contributing some comparative comments in the Purchases Today Thread, for those interested.  Dave :)

Mandryka

Quote from: aukhawk on November 28, 2022, 03:09:11 AMMari ?  Momo ?  I had thought they were different people.

By Jove, you are right!
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Papy Oli

Kabelac - Mystery of time (Ancerl)

Olivier

Mandryka

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on November 27, 2022, 07:40:07 AMI like Kaoru's unpretentious playing too.

So do I, very much so. I've been with it a lot over the past day or so. She has helped me to appreciate the music very much more. I'm going to have to sample some other things by Szymanowski in the style of op 50.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Traverso

Altdeutsche Weihnacht

part of this box

Traverso

Spotted Horses

Albinoni, Trio Sonatas Op 4, Locatelli Trio

These don't make as big an impression on me at the opus 1 set, which has two violin parts, which Albinoni took advantage of to create astonishing imitative counterpoint.

This release has the annoying feature that the Opus 4 and Opus 6 pieces are mixed up in a seemingly random sequence, making it necessary for me to hunt for the sonatas I wish to listen to.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Linz

Bach Cantatas First Sunday in Advent with the Monteverdi Choir, The English Baroque Soloists and John Eliot Gardiner

Lisztianwagner

Pyotr Iliych Tchaikovsky
Symphony No.1 'Winter Dreams'

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

j winter

Spending some time revisiting McCabe's Haydn this week.  Earlier, Rudolf Serkin's mono Beethoven piano concertos with Ormandy, great stuff...

The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

jlopes

Linz

Bruckner Symphony No.3 in D Minor (Version: 1876) II. Andante: Bewegt,quasi Andante and the full (Third version: 1889) Gennadi Rozhdestvensky The USSR Ministry of Culture Symphony Orchestra

Que

Une Flûte Invisible... An Imaginary Chamber Opera in Six Scenes
Works by Saint-Saëns, Godard, Caplet, Debussy & Roussel

Sandrine Piau (soprano), Hervé Lamy (tenor), Gilles de Talhouët (flute) & Arthur Schoonderwoerd (piano Érard 1907)

The story begins one evening and ends the following morning; it is divided into six 'scenes', each beginning with a piece for solo piano from Debussy's Epigraphes antiques and containing pieces by various composers, forming a conversation between tenor and soprano, with flute accompaniment.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: aukhawk on November 28, 2022, 03:09:11 AMMari ?  Momo ?  I had thought they were different people.

Quote from: Mandryka on November 28, 2022, 07:15:32 AMBy Jove, you are right!

Mari Kodama, Japanese pianist, is a sister of Momo Kodama and the wife of Kent Nagano, who is Japanese American.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mandryka on November 28, 2022, 07:26:58 AMSo do I, very much so. I've been with it a lot over the past day or so. She has helped me to appreciate the music very much more. I'm going to have to sample some other things by Szymanowski in the style of op 50.

Let me know any recording you recommend. I prefer Kaoru's Mazurkas to Hamelin's, but thought that I was the only one who likes her recording. Are you familiar with her husband's music? Good pianist?

Mapman

Maiden-Listen Monday!
Tveitt: Variations On A Folksong From Hardanger
Gimse, Süssmann; Engeset: Royal Scottish National Orchestra

A nice piece based on modal folk music. It sounds almost Eastern European at times.

JBS

I'm discovering Boult was a very good conductor of Holst.

Hymn of Jesus, Ballet Music from The Perfect Fool (1960 recording), Egdon Heath, Country Song

From the Decca Boult Legacy set

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Operafreak

Tchaikovsky: Symphony No. 6-Russian National Orchestra, Mikhail Pletnev
The true adversary will inspire you with boundless courage.