What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bachtoven

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on December 04, 2022, 04:24:54 PMVg album/performance. Agree, mediocre, uninspiring sound quality. I like his other albums as well.

Is your McIntosh tube or solid-state?
Yes, his Scarlatti is very good.
Solid state. It's the MA9000 model.

Madiel

Haydn: first listen to op.77/2, the final complete string quartet. Every bit as good as I expected.

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Que

Madiel

Sibelius: Scaramouche

Rather restrained and subtle music on the whole, which does kind of restrict its ability to make a strong impression when heard on its own. I wonder if there are any stagings available to watch, but it seems a little unlikely.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on December 04, 2022, 05:54:08 PMTwo performances/recordings that left me cold:

Mahler: Symphony No. 1
Strauss: Eine Alpensinfonie

I don't get the hype about the Kubelik, I didn't feel anything special on this performance. I prefer my Mahler more shining and decadent to be honest, something I didn't perceive here at all. The recording didn't help that much either.

As for the Strauss, an uninteresting, underwhelming, uninspired performance that lacked emotion, majesty and glitter in large amounts. Solti conducted some good Strauss (namely some of his operas), but here he was out of place. I suspect Hurwitz would praise this performance because it's fast  ;D (44 minutes long).
One detail I did enjoy was the wind machine in the storm section, though.

I basically agree with you on both counts.  The Kubelik/BRSO cycle on DG was always praised - especially in the earlier "Wunderhorn" symphonies for its unaffected/"natural" style.  Obviously this pre-dates the storm and stress of say Bernstein in his later DG cycle.  I get what they mean by that but for me the trade-off is too great with the great climaxes which ALL Mahler symphonies have just feeling rather polite by comparison to others.  I have this set but I must admit I can't remember when I last listened to a single disc from it!

The Solti/Strauss twofer is a head-scratcher too.  I love the sheer thrill-ride of his Don Juan and Till Eulenspiegel even when they risk - quite literally - falling apart.  The Chicago SO sound suitably epic in Also Sprach too.  But the VPO Heldenleben (which is better than the BRSO Alpine) is not the mind-blowing experience you might think it should be and - as you say - the Alpine just sounds impatient and neither the playing or the Deccas engineering is top drawer.  Solti recorded very little with the BRSO - perhaps they just didn't get on!

Lisztianwagner

Ottorino Respighi
Concerto all'antica

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Traverso

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on December 04, 2022, 04:07:45 PM
#morninglistening
to #JSBach & #ManuelMariaPonce w/ #AnneHaasch on
@genuinclassics

Perfect AdventListening to a homogenous mix of music across two centuries.
op

It is good to see you back :)

Todd

A different take on Janacek.  Ades' playing is basically shorn of all sentimentality, and he pedals less than some other pianists, rendering much of the music with greater clarity than normal.  That means that in On An Overgrown Path and In The Mists he doesn't sound as tuneful in some places, though the Second Book of On An Overgrown Path, in particular, comes off remarkably well.  The clear, sometimes cold, and sometimes ferociously played sonata reminds me of Benedikt Koehlen's in places, though with preferable tempo choices.  (Plus, it's just better.)  I expected good things and my expectations were exceeded.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Brian on December 04, 2022, 05:17:25 PMWelcome back!!
Quote from: Traverso on December 05, 2022, 04:01:00 AMop

It is good to see you back :)

Thanks! Hopefully, it's not just a mirage. (In any case, dropping by has given me the motivation to continue on the Bartok String Quartet Cycle Survey which I hope to get ready this week.

Meanwhile TD:

#morninglistening
to #Smetana's #MaVlast w/#Collegium1704 & #VaclavLuks on #Accent / @Note_1

A nifty twist from #Collegium1704 that salvages #MáVlast which, let's be honest, is usually a bore.

Harry

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on December 05, 2022, 05:24:20 AM
#morninglistening
to #Smetana's #MaVlast w/#Collegium1704 & #VaclavLuks on #Accent / @Note_1

A nifty twist from #Collegium1704 that salvages #MáVlast which, let's be honest, is usually a bore.

Quite a lot of people would disagree with you, I am one of them. Apart from that, this recording from Collegium 1704, is not a unwelcome take on the much recorded Ma Vlast cycles to be had.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Harry

Quote from: absolutelybaching on December 05, 2022, 05:30:53 AMAlexander Glazunov's
Symphony No. 8

Neeme Järvi, Symphonieorchester des Bayerischen Rundfunks

One of my favourite cycles, and the first set I bought with these symphonies.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Linz

Wand with Stravinsky and Tchaikovsky

Papy Oli

Stravinksy - Petrushka

Ancerl, Gold Edition Vol.5.

Olivier

Traverso

Messiaen

Le Banquet Céleste
Diptyque
Apparition de L'église éternelle
L'Ascension

jlopes

Traverso

Traverso

Bach

Brandenburg Concertos 4-05 & 6

Todd

Getting under way with D959.  On the evidence of just this sonata, Williams' Schubert promises to be more satisfactory than his LvB.  The Adagio works especially well, with a slow tempo, sustained tension, and beauty.  The recording appears to be warts and all live, with some audible rough patches, but that actually enhances the listening experience.  To be sure, late Schubert is the land of giants, and Williams cannot match Zimerman or Volodos, to name just two recent heavy-hitter versions, but he doesn't need to.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Klavierman