What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Traverso

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on December 07, 2022, 11:28:32 AM#morninglistening to #BachFamily works that feature the flute. #PanClassics

Some consider Beniamino the Paganini of the flute!

#BeniaminoPaganini #TheBachsAndTheFlute

luckily not a pan flute..... :)

SurprisedByBeauty

Lisztianwagner

Ashkenazy's Shostakovich for me too:

Dmitri Shostakovich
Symphony No.4

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Bachtoven

Florestan

Quote from: Bachtoven on December 07, 2022, 12:27:21 PMExcellent playing and sound.

Both the orchestra and the conductor are completely unkown to me. Color me intrigued.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

ritter

Carlos Kalmar (Montevideo 1958) was chief conductor of the Spanish Radio and Television Symphony Orchestra (RTVE) from 2011 through 2016 (a position he held simultaneously with that of principal conductor of the Oregon Symphony).

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on December 07, 2022, 01:11:27 PMCarlos Kalmar (Montevideo 1958) was chief conductor of the Spanish Radio and Television Symphony Orchestra (RTVE) from 2011 through 2016 (a position he held simultaneously with that of principal conductor of the Oregon Symphony).

Interesting, thanks.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

ritter

José Cubiles plays Albéniz.

Masterful phrasing, nicely nuanced dynamic contrasts, but poor (if tolerable) sound, even considering the 1960 vintage.

EDIT:

I notice in Discogs that the original LP release of this on (Spanish) RCA did not include Triana from  Iberia (the final track on thus CD). And it is easy to understand why: Cubiles gets a whole bunch of notes wrong, and the phrasing I praised earlier here becomes tentative, almost broken. Rather painful.  But for this (glaring) exception, this is Albéniz playing of the highest calibre.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Florestan on December 07, 2022, 12:55:20 PMBoth the orchestra and the conductor are completely unknown to me. Color me intrigued.

They've been around, doing great work in & around Illinois. I first came across them when I worked at Tower Records, back in the days (2004?) when they issued this total banger of a CD:

Robert Kurka, Symphony No.2 et al.

Meanwile:

#morninglistening to a special set: this first CD-release:

The #BeethovenQuartet's #Beethoven #StringQuartets on Melodiya

This first digital / CD release of the Beethoven Quartet's Beethoven Quartet cycle (impossible to google, incidentally, much like the Shostakovich Quartet's Shostakovich quartets and nearly as difficult as the Beethoven Quartet's Shostakovich Quartets and the Shostakovich Quartet's Beethoven quartets) is the direct result of my research for and work on the @ionarts  #BeethovenStringQuartetCycleSurvey! So glad that it's out now and that I got my paws on it, too. Already four discs in, in one sitting.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mandryka on December 07, 2022, 10:05:48 AM

What caught my attention was the largo e sostenuto of Hob 37. This guy Hiroaki Takenouchi has the feeling for space and respiration and a sense of how to balance lightness and seriousness. He lives in London too, I may have to watch for concerts here.

Admit or not, you're into Zen art!  ;D

VonStupp

Philipp Wolfrum (1854-1919)
Weihnachtsmysterium, op. 31

Joo-Ann Bitter, soprano / Anne Schuldt, alto
Paweł Brożek, tenor
Martin Berner & Hans Christian Hinz, baritone

Hamelner Kantorei an der Marktkirche
Jugendkantorei Hameln
Philipp-Wolfrum-Ensemble
Nordwestdeutsche Philharmonie
Stefan Vanselow

For tonight: A composer and work I have no knowledge of at all. It's English title translation includes a subtitle on the back cover:

QuoteA Christmas Mystery (1898): Late Romantic symphonic oratorio influenced by Wagner, Liszt, and Humperdinck

VS

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Symphonic Addict

Bridge: Phantasie Quartet
Rochberg: String Quartet No. 1

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Langgaard: Symphony No. 3 Ungdonsbrus - La Melodia

One of my favorites by him. The final chorus always gives me goosebumps.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Bachtoven

Intense but beautiful music. Their playing is spectacular, and the sound is good if a little too spacious.

Operafreak

The true adversary will inspire you with boundless courage.

Harry

Johann Sebastian Bach.
Complete Cantatas.
Volume 54.
Leipzig 1730-40.
Was Gott tut, das ist Wohlgetan.
War Gott nicht mit uns diese Zeit.
Gott ist unsre Zuversicht.
Ehre sei Gott in der Hohe.
Blazikova, Guillon, Turk, Kooij.
Bach Collegium Japan, Masaaki Suzuki.

Beautiful take on all the cantatas on this disc.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Que

Morning listening on Spotify:

A British ensemble singing Franco-Flemish repertoire is usually something I am sceptical about.  But thus is actually pretty good!  :)

jlopes