What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aukhawk

Quote from: Florestan on December 07, 2022, 12:55:20 PMBoth the orchestra and the conductor are completely unkown to me. Color me intrigued.

Kalmar/Oregon SO presented my favourite recording (in a very crowded field of good recordings) of Vaughan Williams' 5th Symphony.  Recorded 10 years ago.  Because it is buried under a 'concept' album title it flies completely under the radar.

Linz

Haydn Oxford and London Symphonies

SonicMan46

Cello Concertos from the box below - just selected a CD for each composer - Dave :)

pjme

Quote from: aukhawk on December 08, 2022, 08:34:39 AMKalmar/Oregon SO presented my favourite recording (in a very crowded field of good recordings) of Vaughan Williams' 5th Symphony.  Recorded 10 years ago.  Because it is buried under a 'concept' album title it flies completely under the radar.

I bought this disc for Barber's Toccata festiva....as an alternative to the (old) Bernstein/Power Biggs version.
Today at least 8 or 10 versions are available.

Linz

Stanford Songs of the Sea

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Reinhold Gliere: Bronze Horseman. Andre Anichanov/St. Petersburg.

vandermolen

Cyril Scott: Piano Concerto No.1
One of my favourite PCs although I marginally prefer the John Ogdon/Bernard Herrmann recording on Lyrita:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Linz

Franz Schmidt Das Buch

Florestan

Quote from: Mookalafalas on December 08, 2022, 04:55:50 AMYou may well be right, but if so, they did a marvelous job. For me, listening to these are like taking a time machine back the Esterhazy estates. There is something fresh and unpretentious about the playing. There is a very strong pulse through the music (which I normally don't like, but it works great for this). It feels like everyone is having fun and the audience (the players?), are drinking ale and smiling--maybe some are even dancing. Listening to 41 now.

This review certainly wetted my appetite for this set. Thanks.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Symphonic Addict

Very fine performances (rather on the brisk side) and superb recording. It's probably the best Pohjola's Daughter I've ever heard. I realize Sibelius wrote wonderfully for woodwinds in that work.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Chávez: Symphony No. 5 (for string orchestra)
Suk: Epilogue

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Florestan on December 08, 2022, 11:32:33 AMThis review certainly wetted my appetite for this set. Thanks.

Admittedly, I was "drinking ale and smiling" as I listened, too, which did not harm my appreciation. But for $8, to me this is a no-brainer.
  I would like to see the HIP movement embrace the ubiquity of beer drinking in the 18th century. I was amazed to learn that in England, apprentice contracts (this is for young boys) would include how much beer they would receive each day--and it was a lot. It was standard to drink all day while working. Ben Franklin complained about it vociferously when he was living in England.
It's all good...

Bachtoven

I love Henze's "The Royal Winter Music." Bream requested that Henze write a guitar equivalent of Beethoven's "Hammerklavier" Sonata. Be careful what you wish for...  ;D

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Bachtoven on December 08, 2022, 02:49:50 PMI love Henze's "The Royal Winter Music." Bream requested that Henze write a guitar equivalent of Beethoven's "Hammerklavier" Sonata. Be careful what you wish for...  ;D

Great compilation album.

Todd

Revisited for the first time in the last, I don't know, eight to twelve years.  I covered this in the New Music Log back in 2007, and I must say that I enjoy the main work much more now, though it will never be an oft listened to work.  I'm also not keen on the taped content.  In contrast, the Ebony Fantasies are slightly less fulfilling, but they still sound quite fine.  I will probably revisit in the 2030s.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Mapman

Stanford: Irish Rhapsody #2, "The Lament for the Son of Ossian"
Handley: Ulster

A mostly beautiful piece based on Irish folk music, with some angry outbursts.

Klavierman

No.5 and 7 tonight in honor of the birthday boy. I haven't heard the remastered digital version, but these LPs certainly sound great.

Symphonic Addict

Rochberg: String Quartet No. 2

Anyone who finds Schönberg's String Quartet No. 2 interesting, this piece shouldn't be alien to their tastes.

Noam Chomsky