What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daverz and 22 Guests are viewing this topic.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Spotted Horses on December 09, 2022, 06:14:53 AMI've gotten to the third symphony, and the sound has become an issue for me. I noticed the distinct staticy swish-swish-swish coming every 1.8 seconds (the time it takes an LP to make a complete revolution). The sign of a poor pressing with a bad spot. It makes it obvious that these were transferred from LPs, and not pristine ones. I was transported back to 1979 (and not in a good way). It's a shame because I agree with you that the performances are attractive.

In any case, I don't think I will continue with this set, but the idea of a casual survey of all of the Haydn Symphonies still attracts and I think I will continue with the Davies set I have on my figurative shelves (actually hard discs).

The annoying thing about the Davies is the applause at the end of each symphony, but rather than lunge for the top button, I just take the headphones off at that point. (If I were really ambitious I'd edit it out with Audacity, or some such).
The q. of the applause aside, I think you'll find much to enjoy in here.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: ritter on December 09, 2022, 11:02:34 AMAldo Ciccolini plays Granados' Goyescas.

Faster tempi than usual, but not bad, not bad at all....

Good evening, Rafael!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

ritter

Symphonic Addict

Rochberg: String Quartet No. 3

A monumental and arresting work. Among the string quartets by American composers, this has to be one of the best.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Florestan

Quote from: Spotted Horses on December 09, 2022, 06:14:53 AMThe annoying thing about the Davies is the applause at the end of each symphony

Imagine being at Eszterhaza back then when those symphonies were premiered, and applause were given not only at the end, but also between movements, and worse yet (perish the thought!) during movements --- the horror, the horror!

The past is a foreign country, they do things differently there.  ;D  ;D  ;D

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

SimonNZ

Picked up for two dollars yesterday. I think this may be the first time I've heard Schnabel's Schubert.

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

JBS

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

JBS

After Offenbach

From

Brouwer as performer.
Recorded in 1974. There is no mention of who arranged the sonatas for guitar, so it may or may not have been Brouwer. This is its first appearance on CD but for those interested it is available from DL/streaming.
Then

From

Nice prePI Bach.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Symphonic Addict

Exotic, atmospheric and deliberately passionate music at its best.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Bachtoven

Great music, but I've heard better sound from 1950s recordings.

Operafreak

Beethoven: String Quartet No. 11 in F minor Op. 95-'Serioso'/Beethoven: String Quartet No. 14 in C sharp minor, Op. 131

Belcea Quartet
The true adversary will inspire you with boundless courage.

Madiel

Chopin: Mazurkas, op.24

Each opus of mazurkas deserves to be heard separately, as a planned set - correcting for the cases where the German editions stuffed around with Chopin's intentions. Vive la France!
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Madiel

Sibelius op.72 (what's left of it) :'(

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Irons

Quote from: SonicMan46 on December 09, 2022, 11:56:29 AMMendelssohn, Felix - Chamber Works w/ piano, clarinet, et al - Dave :)

Richard Burnett has an impressive collection of historical keyboard instruments at Finchcocks. Attended some concerts there some twenty-odd years ago.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Madiel

Haydn's last, incomplete quartet.

Lisztianwagner

Dmitri Shostakovich
Symphony No. 5

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

jlopes

vandermolen

Cyril Scott: Neptune
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

VonStupp

Quote from: VonStupp on December 07, 2022, 02:57:46 PMPhilipp Wolfrum (1854-1919)
Weihnachtsmysterium, op. 31

Joo-Ann Bitter, soprano / Anne Schuldt, alto
Paweł Brożek, tenor
Martin Berner & Hans Christian Hinz, baritone

Hamelner Kantorei an der Marktkirche
Jugendkantorei Hameln
Philipp-Wolfrum-Ensemble
Nordwestdeutsche Philharmonie
Stefan Vanselow

For tonight: A composer and work I have no knowledge of at all. It's English title translation includes a subtitle on the back cover:
 A Christmas Mystery (1898): Late Romantic symphonic oratorio influenced by Wagner, Liszt, and Humperdinck

VS

There are a surprising amount of major orchestral-only portions in this Christmas Mystery, showing Wolfrum as a compelling orchestrator. That helps in a 100-minute Christmas Oratorio.

Wolfrum also quotes from a number of Bach Cantatas, alongside the occasional snatch of Luther's Vom Himmel Hoch, and Wolfrum continues to honor Bach by setting a tenor evangelist in a quasi-recitative style throughout. The centerpiece of the work is a movement dedicated to Resonet in Laudibus, which I know as Joseph Dearest, Joseph Mine.

Unfortunately, the chorus is an amateur one, with tuning and ensemble issues. Not enough to destroy the work, but often enough for me to want to hang out with the soloists instead. The regional orchestra does pretty well, though.

Not essential, but I am glad to have heard it.
VS
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."