What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Traverso

Vaughan Williams

Symphony No.6

Que

Quote from: Harry on January 29, 2023, 04:51:19 AMMy thoughts also, so I do the same, only on Qobuz.

The wonders of streaming... :D

In the end I enjoyed the pieces on harpsichord the most!

BTW How is this one?  :)

Mandryka

Quote from: Que on January 29, 2023, 06:19:12 AMThe wonders of streaming... :D

Indeed. We know it's there, the experience has slightly enriched our understanding of baroque, one day we may come back to it and with a fresh point of view, maybe not. What more could anyone expect from music on record?

Listening to Sofronitsky play Schumann op 11 in 1948.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Harry

Quote from: Que on January 29, 2023, 06:19:12 AMThe wonders of streaming... :D

In the end I enjoyed the pieces on harpsichord the most!

BTW How is this one?  :)

Well first of all, there is no info concerning the organ, Gregorian chant is not really my thing, and there is a lot of it, so I neglected it altogether. The music has a sameness over it, all liturgical based music, so I think there is little variation. First impressions though.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Traverso

Bach

I love this CD with really beautiful music and performed accordingly

71 dB

Paillard J.S.Bach box disc 3: BWV 1052, 1054, 1055, 1058
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Again listening to Mendelssohn piano works. I like all the pieces except for Songs Without Words. I checked Frith (Naxos) and Markovina (Hanssler) as well, but the former is rough and the latter is loud.

JBS

Quote from: vandermolen on January 29, 2023, 01:28:45 AMCyril Scott: Cello ConcertoWhat's the CD like Jeffrey?
That's the only one in the Chandos Bridge series which I don't own ::)

The orchestral songs should be enough to lure you in. [I'm surprised you don't have it!]

TD
From the same set

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

VonStupp

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on January 28, 2023, 05:09:13 PMDvorak: Rhapsody in A minor, Op. 14

When was the last time you heard this orchestral piece by Dvorak? The composer's talent in full display in each respect (written in 1874).

I have been planning to spin this same Dvorak recording in a week or two. All these years, I had assumed the Rhapsodies were an alternate title for the Dances, and never bothered. Picked this up a month or two back; so they will be new to me.
VS
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

VonStupp

Antonín Dvořák
String Quartet 1 in A Major, op. 2
Panocha Quartet

There is apparently a lot of Dvořák I haven't heard, including many of his early quartets.

The first is exceedingly charming to my ears. A good start for sure.
VS

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Roasted Swan

Quote from: VonStupp on January 29, 2023, 08:00:04 AMAntonín Dvořák
String Quartet 1 in A Major, op. 2
Panocha Quartet

There is apparently a lot of Dvořák I haven't heard, including many of his early quartets.

The first is exceedingly charming to my ears. A good start for sure.
VS

The couplings on that disc are gorgeous too!

Traverso

71 dB

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on January 28, 2023, 05:09:13 PMDvorak: Rhapsody in A minor, Op. 14

When was the last time you heard this orchestral piece by Dvorak? The composer's talent in full display in each respect (written in 1874).

I am not a Dvorakian and generally speaking I don't care much of his music, but I happen to like these rhapsodies and I have this Naxos disc. In fact, I listened to it not long ago.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Lisztianwagner

Alexander Zemlinsky
Eine florentinische Tragödie

Riccardo Chailly & Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Mandryka

Quote from: Harry on January 29, 2023, 06:45:46 AMWell first of all, there is no info concerning the organ, Gregorian chant is not really my thing, and there is a lot of it, so I neglected it altogether. The music has a sameness over it, all liturgical based music, so I think there is little variation. First impressions though.

I just listened to the Missa Dominica - it's quite energetic playing. Not specially expressive IMO but somehow invigorating. I prefer Vartolo obvs. But not the most inspired music IMO - a bit churchy and awkward, not really very interesting  if you're not actually a Catholic at a mass, sort of thing.  He uses the Mantua Antegnati.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Traverso

Ravel

Ma Mère L'Oye
La Valse
Boléro

One of my favorite recordings ( I have many )

vandermolen

Quote from: JBS on January 29, 2023, 07:51:00 AMThe orchestral songs should be enough to lure you in. [I'm surprised you don't have it!]

TD
From the same set

Many thanks  :)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

JBS

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk