What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linz, ritter, Harry and 10 Guests are viewing this topic.

ritter

This was just delivered to my office... Now listening to the Due pezzi...

Man, I really like Dallapiccola's music. I already knew all the pieces on this CD form other recordings, but this is sounding superb: crystal clear, intimate, beautiful...

Mahlerbruck

Johan Svendsen - Symphony no. 1 and no. 2.

Mariss Jansons - conductor
Oslo Philharmonic Orchestra

A symphony must be like the world. It must contain everything. (Gustav Mahler)

71 dB

Paillard J.S.Bach box disc 4: BWV 1053, 1056, 1060, 1061
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

SonicMan46

Vorisek, Jan Vaclav (1791-1825) - Piano Music on 2 Spotify playlists (top row below) w/ Biljana Urban, Radoslav Kvapil, & Artur Pisarro - I've never heard of this short-lived Czech composer until starting the book below, The Beloved Vision - the author spends a couple of pages on him as an important figure in the early Romantic transition. So for those familiar w/ Jan V. and the recordings, please comment - thanks.  Dave :)

QuoteJan Václav Hugo Voříšek was a Czech composer, pianist, and organist; he was born in Vamberk, Bohemia. As a child prodigy, he started to perform publicly at the age of nine. His father taught him music, encouraged his playing the piano and helped him get a scholarship to attend the University of Prague, where he studied philosophy. He also had lessons in piano and composition from Václav Tomášek. In 1813 at the age of 22, Voříšek moved to Vienna to study law and hoped to meet Beethoven. In Vienna he greatly improve his piano technique under Johann Hummel, and was a friend of Schubert. (Source)

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Slavický: Moravian Dance Fantasies. Brno Philharmonic Orchestra and Miloš Konvalinka.

Traverso

Bruckner

Time for some Bruckner......

Symphony No.1

Berliner Philharmoniker

Todd

Finally gave this a whirl.  The one thing that this recording does better than the 70s recording is piano sound.  There's a more appealing tone and more body.  Pollini obviously digs the music, as evidenced by his vocalizing.  He does not really present these in a transcendent or deep manner.  Instead, they are more straightforward and uncompromising.  This pays the biggest dividends in the tense and tetchy Adagio to 106.  His tempi are pretty snappy throughout, often leading to an agitated sound.  But he also cannot play with the utter precision and control of his younger days.  The swift 9'31" opener to 106 has energy and forward drive, but it lacks the sublime execution of pianists like Korstick or Goodyear.  This is better than I anticipated, but it does not match memories of his earlier recordings, and better renditions are available.  I will probably A/B this and his earlier recordings at some point. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Traverso

Dutilleux

Mystère de L'instant
Collegium Musicum Zürich
The Shadows of Time
Boston Symphony Orchestra Seiji Ozawa
Le Loup
Orchestre de la Société des Concerts du Conservatoire  Georges Prêtre

vandermolen

Rubbra: Symphony No.5 - an excellent performance in good sound
Melbourne SO, Cond. Hans-Hubert Schonzeler (known for his book on Bruckner)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Linz

Tchaikovsky Symphony No. 1 "Winter Dreams" and Swan Lake Suite

Karl Henning

Maiden-Listen Monday:

Bax
Symphony № 6 (1933-35)
Into the Twilight (1908)
Summer Music (1921, rev. 1932)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mandryka

Indianisches Tagebuch. This guy can make music.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Lisztianwagner

Some Dallapiccola for me too:

Luigi Dallapiccola
Partita
Dialoghi

Gianandrea Noseda & BBC Philharmonic

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Florestan

Quote from: Todd on January 30, 2023, 11:13:10 AM

This is clearly targeted at people suffering of torticollis.  ;D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

VonStupp

Quote from: Roasted Swan on January 29, 2023, 08:28:08 AMThe couplings on that disc are gorgeous too!

I will look forward to circling back to these pairings!

Antonín Dvořák
String Quartet 2 in B-flat Major
Panocha Quartet

If I was charmed by Dvořák's first SQ, the second did absolutely nothing for me. I found it directionless and meandering; odd since thus far I have found even the least from Dvořák engaging.
VS

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Lisztianwagner

Sergei Rachmaninov
Symphony No.3

Vladimir Ashkenazy & Concertgebouw Orchestra

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Linz

Bruckner Symphony  No.7 in E Major 1885 Version. Ed.Leopold Nowak

Kontrapunctus

DavidW

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 30, 2023, 10:14:43 AMMaiden-Listen Monday:

Bax
Symphony № 6 (1933-35)
Into the Twilight (1908)
Summer Music (1921, rev. 1932)

Inspired by your previous post I listened to the 5th today from that set.