What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Karl Henning

Quote from: DavidW on January 30, 2023, 02:02:41 PMInspired by your previous post I listened to the 5th today from that set.

Nice!

And, no surprise:

Maiden-Listen Monday: (the Symphony, that is)

Bax
Tintagel (1917-19)
Symphony № 7 (1938-39)

This post partly typed with left digits
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 30, 2023, 10:14:43 AMMaiden-Listen Monday:

Bax
Symphony № 6 (1933-35)
Into the Twilight (1908)
Summer Music (1921, rev. 1932)

I enjoyed this thoroughly. Very nice solo violin in Into the Twilight
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

71 dB

Quote from: 71 dB on January 30, 2023, 07:15:24 AMPaillard J.S.Bach box disc 4: BWV 1053, 1056, 1060, 1061

BTW, I might add that the Adagio of BWV 1060 is performed here to jaw-dropping perfection!  :o
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Kontrapunctus

A magical night in Carnegie Hall!

Linz

Bruckner Symphony No. 5 in B flat major Symphonieorchester des Bayerischen Rundfunk

SonicMan46

Below a portion of a post earlier today about the short-lived composer Vorisek - spent most of the day listening to several Spotify playlists of three pianists performing his piano works - decided I liked Artur Pizarro the best - found the cheapest deal for the two discs at Discogs, $10 USD each (including shipping) - died in his mid-30s - likely would have been much better remembered w/ more compositions?  Dave :)

Quote from: SonicMan46 on January 30, 2023, 07:49:11 AMVorisek, Jan Vaclav (1791-1825) - Piano Music on 2 Spotify playlists (top row below) w/ Biljana Urban, Radoslav Kvapil, & Artur Pizarro - I've never heard of this short-lived Czech composer until starting the book below, The Beloved Vision - the author spends a couple of pages on him as an important figure in the early Romantic transition. So for those familiar w/ Jan V. and the recordings, please comment - thanks.  Dave :)

Todd

Quote from: SonicMan46 on January 30, 2023, 04:08:42 PMBelow a portion of a post earlier today about the short-lived composer Vorisek - spent most of the day listening to several Spotify playlists of three pianists performing his piano works - decided I liked Artur Pizarro the best - found the cheapest deal for the two discs at Discogs, $10 USD each (including shipping) - died in his mid-30s - likely would have been much better remembered w/ more compositions?  Dave :)

I like Vorisek.  I like Pizarro.  Hmmm . . .
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Karl Henning

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 30, 2023, 03:03:23 PMNice!

And, no surprise:

Bax
Tintagel (1917-19)
Symphony № 7 (1938-39)

What a great box! I have other items in the queue right now, bux at some point I shall richly enjoy digging back into this.

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Keemun

Bax: Tintagel (David Lloyd-Jones, Royal Scottish National Orchestra).  Inspired by the earlier posts of Bax's music.  :)
Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life. - Ludwig van Beethoven

Kontrapunctus

Madiel

Quote from: VonStupp on January 30, 2023, 11:52:06 AMI will look forward to circling back to these pairings!

Antonín Dvořák
String Quartet 2 in B-flat Major
Panocha Quartet

If I was charmed by Dvořák's first SQ, the second did absolutely nothing for me. I found it directionless and meandering; odd since thus far I have found even the least from Dvořák engaging.
VS

Chuckle. I was waiting for what would happen with numbers 2 to 4. The Panocha actually play the heavily revised version of no.1 which is much shorter than the original.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Keemun

Durufle: Requiem (Dennis Keene, Voices of Ascension).  I don't know if I like this work yet.
Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life. - Ludwig van Beethoven

Mapman

Quote from: Keemun on January 30, 2023, 05:59:33 PM

Durufle: Requiem (Dennis Keene, Voices of Ascension).  I don't know if I like this work yet.

I like it, but I am biased because I played it in college. The Lux Aeterna is my favorite section, with the interesting meter changes and beautiful woodwind solos.

Scharwenka: Piano Concerto #3
Tanyel, Strugala: NDR Hannover

This recording was reissued by Hyperion as part of their Romantic Piano Concertos series.

The first movement felt a bit heavy, but the (slow) 2nd movement is a beautiful transformation of the 1st movement's theme. Maybe I'll like the opening more the next time I hear this, since I know more about the structure.

brewski

Quote from: Keemun on January 30, 2023, 05:59:33 PM

If you like the group, coincidentally they are doing a free livestream tomorrow night. (No Durufle. ;D ) See "Concerts" thread for details.

-Bruce
"I set down a beautiful chord on paper—and suddenly it rusts."
—Alfred Schnittke (1934-1998)

Operafreak

Schubert: Symphonies, Vol. 1-City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra, Edward Gardner

The true adversary will inspire you with boundless courage.

Mookalafalas

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 30, 2023, 03:03:23 PMNice!

And, no surprise:

Bax
Tintagel (1917-19)
Symphony № 7 (1938-39)

Third day of odd coincidence.  I just finished listening to Tintagel, the second track of this

I had expected this disk to be cheesy and dated, but am enjoying it a lot. Gorgeous orchestration.
It's all good...

Kontrapunctus

Que

vandermolen

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 30, 2023, 10:14:43 AMMaiden-Listen Monday:

Bax
Symphony № 6 (1933-35)
Into the Twilight (1908)
Summer Music (1921, rev. 1932)

A great performance!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).