What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve ridgway, Peter Power Pop and 13 Guests are viewing this topic.

pjme

Quote from: Florestan on January 31, 2023, 06:47:12 AMLove it, thanks for posting, Pieter!

Cu plăcere,Andrei.
A new bathroom is currently being installed - I don't have much thoughts about music!
Recently I was impressd by Jan van Gilse's 1929 cantata on texts by Rilke.

Now, for the afternoon some Mozart and Debussy!

A très bientôt,
Peter

vandermolen

Quote from: Florestan on January 31, 2023, 11:23:43 PMMaybe their wives are not as forgiving as Jeffrey(vandermolen)'s...
HAHAHA I'll tell her you said that  ;D
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Florestan

Quote from: vandermolen on February 01, 2023, 04:56:19 AMHAHAHA I'll tell her you said that  ;D

PLease, do! I'm sure she'll be pleased. ;)
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

North Star

Bacewicz
Piano Quintets Nos. 1 & 2

Tansman
Musica a cinque

Julia Kociuban (pf) & Messages Quartet
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Spotted Horses

Six preludes of Shostakovich (1-6), five improvisations (11-15) of Poulenc.

Not as different as one might expect. :)

There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Papy Oli

Ligeti

Sonata for Solo Cello
Six Bagatelles for Wind Quintet

Olivier

Todd

15.  This set illustrates the benefits of streaming.  Executive brilliance is evident throughout.  But it just does nothing for me.  Given their excellent Beethoven and best in my listening experience Ligeti, this disappoints.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

71 dB

Paillard J.S.Bach box disc 6: The Violin Concertos BWV 1041-43.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Papy Oli

Ligeti

String quartet No.1

Olivier

DavidW

Looks like plenty of great music on the board recently.  Especially like the Carter concertos and the Telemann chamber music.

For me, the Pettersson is screaming through my brain so for relief I hit Bruckner's 7th and Mahler's 7th (the latter from Brian's rec)

Brian did not overhype it!  And the Bruckner 7th is one of my all time favorite symphonies.

Spotted Horses

Quote from: DavidW on February 01, 2023, 07:32:55 AMLooks like plenty of great music on the board recently.  Especially like the Carter concertos and the Telemann chamber music.

For me, the Pettersson is screaming through my brain so for relief I hit Bruckner's 7th and Mahler's 7th (the latter from Brian's rec)

Brian did not overhype it!  And the Bruckner 7th is one of my all time favorite symphonies.

Mahler from a French orchestra sounds interesting.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Vilém Petrželka - Námořník Mikuláš.

Todd

I like everything about this recording except the choral singing. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

DavidW

Quote from: Todd on February 01, 2023, 06:44:26 AM

15.  This set illustrates the benefits of streaming.  Executive brilliance is evident throughout.  But it just does nothing for me.  Given their excellent Beethoven and best in my listening experience Ligeti, this disappoints.

Same.  I used to own that recording and I don't even remember what it sounds like, but their Beethoven is etched into my memory.

SonicMan46

Czerny, Carl (1791-1857) - Chamber Works - a wide variety w/ the first recording below on natural horn and fortepiano - own about 14 discs of Czerny, 6 being piano sonatas w/ Martin Jones - Dave :)

QuoteCarl Czerny was an Austrian composer, teacher, and pianist of Czech origin whose music spanned the late Classical and early Romantic eras. His vast musical production amounted to over a thousand works and his books of studies for the piano are still widely used in piano teaching. He was one of Ludwig van Beethoven's best-known pupils. (Source)

Traverso

Messiaen

Les Offrandes oubliées
L'Ascension
Poèmes pour Mi

Linz

Bruckner Symphony No. 9 in D Minor 1894 Original Version. Ed. Leopold Nowak  Final movement 1992 Finale Realization by Samale//Philips/Cohrs/Mazzuca - Revised 2012 by Samale and Cohrs

Roasted Swan

Just been listening to;

to which the only question can be - why?  Perhaps for venues/orchestras that could not otherwise accomodate it yes - but on disc with hundreds of 'normal' versions to choose from who'd want this...?

Lisztianwagner

Terrific performance for the 4th Symphony, in my opinion, maybe a bit rushed just in the beginning, but powerful, vivid and beautifully thrilling overall.

Now:
Carl Nielsen
Symphony No.5

Fabio Luisi & Danish National Symphony Orchestra

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler