What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aligreto

Magnard: Symphony No. 2 [Bollon]

The quality of the orchestration, I find, is evident immediately in this work. However, I find that the music itself in the opening movement sounds a tad episodic to me. Yes there are wonderful sections of lyricism in there and there is also fine drama and tension but I find that the movement lacks cohesion in its construction overall Not on the disjointed level, however. The movement has a fine conclusion.
The intensity levels are picked up in the second movement. This movement has a wonderful atmosphere to it as it flits along energetically.
The third movement, texturally, is wonderfully rich and the music can be both enchanting and very engaging by degrees. It also has a keen sense of atmosphere and tension and it is wonderfully lyrical.
The final movement reverts to the compositional style of the opening movement. I find that it too suffers from the same episodic nature as the opening movement. I should say that there is nothing inherently wrong with episodic writing provided, for me, that there is an appropriate amount of cohesion linking all of the "episodes" into a unified whole. The movement, and ultimately the work, has a very fine conclusion.
So, a bit of a mixed bag, for me, with this symphony but I would be very positive about it overall despite my minor quibbles.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: aligreto on February 03, 2023, 01:41:42 AMJS Bach: Organ Works played by Kooiman

[From CD 2]
Fantasie, BWV 562
Fantasie Und Fuge, BWV 537
Fantasie, Anhang 205-Anh. II 45
Fantasie, BWV 570

The music making on this CD is excellent to my ears.

Great set!

Lisztianwagner

Gustav Mahler
Symphony No.2

Leonard Bernstein & NY Philharmonic

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

SonicMan46

Danzi, Franz (1763-1826) - Bassoon Works & Piano Quintets w/ the performers on the cover art below - on the keyboard quintets, Schornsheim on fortepiano w/ period instruments.  Dave :)

Linz

Bruckner Symphony No. 8 in C Minor, Version 1887-90 ed. Leopold Nowak, Berliner Philharmoniker

71 dB

Paillard J.S.Bach box disc 8: BVW 1060R, 1059, 1064R

Eight discs done from this boxset. Seven more to go. This has been a very solid experience so far. I am pleased. Even if the last 7 CDs were bad, this was a great purchase!
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Papy Oli

Long time since I listened to Moeran :

Olivier

Papy Oli

Olivier

Lisztianwagner

Richard Wagner
Siegfried, act 3^

Thomas Stewart (Der Wanderer), Oralia Dominguez (Erda), Jess Thomas (Siegfried), Elga Dernesch (Brünnhilde)
Herbert von Karajan & Berliner Philharmoniker

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Peter Power Pop

Nielsen: Fynsk Foraar (Springtime in Funen), Op. 42

Inga Nielsen (soprano)
Poul Elming (tenor)
Peter Grønlund (bass)
Copenhagen Boys' Choir
Children's Chorus of Skt. Annæ Gymnasium
The Danish Radio Symphony Orchestra & Choir / Leif Segerstam

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

JBS

Bruckner for me as well.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Symphonic Addict

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

VonStupp

Antonín Dvořák
String Quartet 5 in f minor
Panocha Quartet

Dvořák's Romance in f minor op. 11 has been a favorite small concertante work of mine, so color me surprised when it unexpectedly appeared in SQ5 as I explore these early quartets.

I am sure its origins must have been mentioned in liner notes before, but it didn't stick in my memory. Nice to have the two different versions now.

VS

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Symphonic Addict

Tubin: Symphony No. 1
Franck: Symphony in D minor

The Tubin is a powerful beginning of a splendid symphony cycle, though I wish it was more memorable. A proper slow movement to compensate the agitation it contains would have been very welcome too.

This Monteux recording opened my ears to Franck's only symphony. It feels organic, tightly cohesive.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mookalafalas

Sibelius 5th and 7th from this.

Also played 2nd, a day or two back.

A revelation to me. I've listened to (tried to listen to?) Sibelius many times in the past, and could never get into it.  Finally, I'm a fan.
  {edit: This is the 1966 recording}
It's all good...

Operafreak

Sibelius: Symphony No. 2 & Tone Poems- Boston Symphony Orchestra, Vladimir Ashkenazy

The true adversary will inspire you with boundless courage.

Undersea

Currently listening to:

Vivaldi: Gloria in excelsis deo, RV 588

Downloaded the above Box-set earlier in the week and have listened to several "Discs" worth - I am very pleased so far...
I'd like to be
Under the sea
In an octopus' garden
In the shade

- Ringo Starr

Mandryka

Exquisite modern piano playing, melodious and nuanced and elegant in the great tradition rather than the HIP tradition. Particularly impressive ornamentation. Delicate rather then virile, sometimes psychologically deep.  Needs good speakers (the sound is excellent) and a state of mind where you're ready to give it attention rather than expect it to grab your attention.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Papy Oli

Good morning all,

Dvorak - Hussite Overture op.67
From the Rowicki box.

Olivier