What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linz, Cato, akebergv and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.

SonicMan46

Danzi, Franz (1763-1826) - Wind & Piano Quintets w/ the Berlin Philharmonic Wind Quintet and Love Derwinger on piano - modern instruments w/ all works on 3 full (77+ mins each) discs.  Also own the period instrument performances (on 4 CDs) w/ Christine Schornsheim on fortepiano - both excellent (some reviews attached if interested).  Dave :)

Traverso

Richard Strauss

Don Juan
Tod und Verklärung
Dance of the Seven Veils
Till Eulenspiegels Lustige Streiche

Papy Oli

More goodies (Mendelssohn, Schumann, Hindemith) from the Dennis Brain ICON box.

Olivier

Papy Oli

From the Ancerl Live Recordings, an unknown name to me:

Iša Krejčí - Symphony No. 1 in D Major

Olivier

Linz

Smetana Ma Vlast, Václav Neumann

Traverso

Beethoven

Diabelli Variations

Mapman

Rubbra: Symphony #7
Boult: LPO

It's a good symphony. I'm not sure that I like it as much as the 6th, though. (I'll have to listen to both works a few more times before I can really say.) For now, I enjoyed the 2nd movement the most. It's also fascinating how the symphony ends with a calming fugue. (Those aren't words that I would normally think to put together.)

Bernstein: Serenade
McDuffie, Slatkin: St. Louis

Listening to this again, it's another excellent work. I should listen to more Bernstein soon.

Lisztianwagner

Franz Liszt
Totentanz

Krystian Zimerman (piano)
Seiji Ozawa & Boston Symphony Orchestra

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

VonStupp

Antonín Dvořák
String Quartet 8 in E Major, op. 80
String Quartet 9 in d minor, op. 34
Panocha Quartet

I think for me, SQ 8 is the first fully satisfying quartet as a whole work. I love that while it is titled with the key of E Major, much of it takes place in a minor mode.

Reading about Dvořák's problems trying to have his works published with correct Opus numbers is maddening.

VS

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Bach Organ Works: Leo van Doeselaar.

Maestro267

Dvorak: String Quartet No. 3
Stamitz Quartet

This box set of the complete Dvorak string quartets arrived today, and I'm kind of getting this one out of my system first cos I'll have to tackle it at some point. Insanely long for a string quartet and I'm not sure it justifies the length but here we are. I'm sure there are other gems in the cycle.

Mandryka

I don't know whether it's just my mood or something more interesting, but this seems pretty good to me -- even though it has a lot going against it - long long solo strophic songs in a dead language sung with no instruments -  it still seems to have a bit of the magic.

It seems to swing, it's got rhythm.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mandryka on February 04, 2023, 10:19:13 AM

I don't know whether it's just my mood or something more interesting, but this seems pretty good to me -- even though it has a lot going against it - long long solo strophic songs in a dead language sung with no instruments -  it still seems to have a bit of the magic.

It seems to swing, it's got rhythm.

Cool art!

aligreto

JS Bach: Motets BWV 229/230/118 [Forbes]

I particularly like these fine presentations. The 1971 recordings are full, the music is well driven and the choir is well balanced.

aligreto

Quote from: Papy Oli on February 04, 2023, 01:03:07 AMFauré - Piano Trio in D

(From the Brilliant chamber music box)

A terrific set that!

aligreto

Mandryka

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on February 04, 2023, 10:36:56 AMCool art!

I think the medievalists say La remede de fortune is a genuine multimedia work -- music, poetry and image. Here's some more pics from the manuscript.

https://machaut.weebly.com/the-illustrations-of-the-remede-in-ms-c.html

and here's a lecture about it for first year Oxford undergrads.

https://eeleach.blog/2020/09/03/machaut-prelims-lecture-3/
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mandryka on February 04, 2023, 11:39:33 AMI think the medievalists say La remede de fortune is a genuine multimedia work -- music, poetry and image. Here's some more pics from the manuscript.

https://machaut.weebly.com/the-illustrations-of-the-remede-in-ms-c.html

and here's a lecture about it for first year Oxford undergrads.

https://eeleach.blog/2020/09/03/machaut-prelims-lecture-3/

Elegant and hip. Plus noble, nuanced colors. Specially I like the blue in the works. These are a century before Renaissance, but I see a technique of perspective. Its not perfectly symmetric/linear, but just like Japanese Ukiyoe, there are three dimensions with front, middle and back. Objects at the back are depicted smaller.

Que

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya