What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maestro267, classicalgeek and 12 Guests are viewing this topic.

aligreto

Vivaldi: Nisi Dominus [Spinosi]

This is, for me, a particularly fine, exciting and often thrilling presentation of this work. The vocal element from Jaroussky is exceptionally expressive and unique for me. It is both, paradoxically, understated and powerful. The orchestral element is very well delivered and very sensitive, crisp and clean here under the very capable direction of Spinosi. Everything is very well delivered here.

aligreto

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on February 05, 2023, 02:26:56 PMI must listen to this. I really could not say why the Poulenc Sonata and I have been strangers.

Definitely time to reacquaint yourself with this work, Karl.

JBS

Composed when he was 18; the choral passages are not that impressive, but the tenor solo in the Gloria matches in quality a number of arias in his operas.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Karl Henning

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on February 05, 2023, 02:26:56 PMCD 5

Milhaud
Le Bœuf sur le toit or "The Nothing-Doing Bar," Op. 58

Ravel
Le Tombeau de Couperin

Couperin/Milhaud
Overture and Allegro from the Sonata La Sultane

Minneapolis Symphony Orchestra (Minnesota Orchestra)

Henri Rabaud
La Procession nocturne, Op. 6

Philharmonic Society of New York (New York Philharmonic)

In comparison to the Ferrari Baroque ensembles of our day, Milhaud's arrangement of Couperin arguably handles a bit like a Buick. But consider the versatility of Bach's music in adaptations ranging from Stokowski and Schoenberg to Duke Ellington. Consider, too that this was 1945, when the exposure of American orchestra-goers to Couperin probably did not range much beyond Ravel's Le tombeau (also on this disc.) I found that the Milhaud orchestration possesses some charm, and is an interesting musical snapshot of that musical era. The real surprise of this disc for me, though, was La Procession nocturne by Henri Rabaud, as evincing a Frenchman's sympathy for and mastery of Wagner's musical idiom in a refreshingly subdued emotional tone. Not to suggest that the histrionics of Wagner are necessarily negative, at all (it is opera, after all) but that (say) my appreciation of Wagner benefits from the novel musical perspective. Previously my sole experience of Rabaud was a contest piece for clarinet and piano, music which did not inspire me to listen to anything more by the composer, so this Procession was an especial delight.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

JBS

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng link=msg=1494225Previously my sole experience of Rabaud was a contest piece for clarinet and piano, music which did not inspire me to listen to anything more by the composer, so this Procession was an especial delight.

Perhaps encountering it as a contest piece was not the best way to be introduced?

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Karl Henning

CD 8

Rakhmaninov
The Isle of the Dead Op. 29

Vaughan Williams
Fantasia on a Theme by Thos Tallis for Double String Orchestra

I should have thought that I'd listened to this CD before, save that I made no notes.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: JBS on February 05, 2023, 04:22:17 PMPerhaps encountering it as a contest piece was not the best way to be introduced?
C'est possible, bien sûr!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on February 05, 2023, 04:52:21 PMCD 8

Rakhmaninov
The Isle of the Dead Op. 29

Vaughan Williams
Fantasia on a Theme by Thos Tallis for Double String Orchestra

I should have thought that I'd listened to this CD before, save that I made no notes.

Recorded March 1945
In terms of my own listening, my latest references are a much newer recording of the Rakhmaninov by Gianandrea Noseda and (for the Vaughan Williams) two recordings by Sir John Barbirolli, and a live performance by a local orchestra (which I mention both for accuracy and as a frank disclosure)  Mitropoulos's accounts here stand up very nicely: no want of definition and (where needed) crispness in The Isle of the Dead. In the Tallis Fantasia, the strings of the Minneapolis Symphony have a full warmth, and the acoustic of the Northrop Auditorium, gives them space without too much reverberance. The solo strings are present and intimate.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Harry on January 25, 2023, 04:42:35 AMGrazyna Bacewicz, (And a Hot Toddy)
Violin Concertos, volume II.
No. 2/4/5.
Joanna Kurkowicz, Violin.
Polish Radio SO, Lukasz Borowicz.

I am mesmerized by this music, and it will last. For me personally Bacewicz was one of my great discoveries. She managed to surprise and delight me, and that's a rare thing, especially when you get older. :)

Your recent praise for this composer is tweaking my interest as I don't know a note so thankyou for that!!

There is a review today of the latest CPO symphonies disc that echoes your thoughts closely I think...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/what-to-listen-to/blazingly-original-major-20th-century-composer-rediscovered/

vandermolen

Quote from: DavidW on February 05, 2023, 02:21:50 PMFound some dynamite recordings (that apparently the rest of the board dislikes!) of Martinu's symphonies:

Just really transparent and vibrant.
I like that set.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Harry

Quote from: Roasted Swan on February 06, 2023, 12:15:32 AMYour recent praise for this composer is tweaking my interest as I don't know a note so thank you for that!!

There is a review today of the latest CPO symphonies disc that echoes your thoughts closely I think...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/what-to-listen-to/blazingly-original-major-20th-century-composer-rediscovered/

A pity that I am not allowed to read this article unless I take a free subscription, but I take your word for it that the reviewer finds it to be good in all the aspects I wrote about. Thank you for the effort though!
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Que

Quote from: Daverz on February 05, 2023, 11:37:10 AMI haven't cared for Faust in HIP mode previously, so I've avoided this one.

Same.

Operafreak

Bontempo & Suppé: Requiem/Gulbenkian Choir & Orchestra, Michel Corboz

The true adversary will inspire you with boundless courage.

Tsaraslondon

This is a useful compilation of Hungarian music, splendidly played by the Chicago players. It's music that suits Solti well, but I was a bit taken back by his somewhat stop/start approach to Liszt's Mephisto Waltz and I much prefer versions I have conducted by Albert Coates and Karajan.
\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

Tsaraslondon

A bit of a mixed Stokowski bag, the recording quality being somewhat variable. The concluding Marche Slave is terrific though.
\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

vandermolen

Bloch: Suite for Viola and Orchestra.
PS I found this radio programme about the viola to be both interesting and moving. I posted it in the Vaughan Williams thread as it features a discussion of 'Flos Campi' No mention of Bloch as far as I recall but I thought I'd post it here in case anyone is interested:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000sycs
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

pjme

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on February 05, 2023, 04:55:18 PMC'est possible, bien sûr!

EMI France issued this great disc in ca. 1979. For me the highlight is the suite from Mârouf, fun and light exoticism à la française.
But I confess...haven't listened to it in ages...

Rabaud/Bru zane

aligreto

JS Bach: Organ Works played by Kooiman [From CD 3]

Trio Sonatas Nos. 4-6, BWV 528-530

The music stands on its own merits and I like these interpretations. I like Kooiman's playing. The organ is also well recorded here. It has a fine delicacy to it.

Traverso

Bach

Komm, Jesu, Komm
Trauer Ode "Lass Fürstin,Lass noch einen Strahl"
"Jesu meine Freude"

In my opinion one of the most beautiful cantatas and the motets are  in the same category. The performance is as can be expected from Andrew Parrott.
The motet "Jesu meine Freude" is of an overwhelming beauty that is very moving, at least for me. The genius that Bach was can clearly be heard here, gripping with the effect of a spiritual washing machine.