What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foxandpeng

Quote from: vandermolen on March 20, 2023, 12:58:43 AMA great work and a fine performance!

That Balakirev 1 melody in the 3rd movement is just quite a thing. Balakirev's symphonies are just joyful celebrations of existence. Very restorative and deftly done.

Now playing:

Mily Balakirev
Symphony 2
Svetlanov
USSR SSO
Alto

Following the rabbit while it leads... excellent music and performances.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Que

More of Pachelbel's organ music:

foxandpeng

Borodin
Symphonies 1 - 3
Loris Tjeknavorian
National Philharmonic Orchestra
RCA

These are fine works, continuing the Russian sound world that seems my bag at the moment. I like these Tjeknavorian recordings, although I have no idea how others see them. I listened to Schwarz on Naxos the other day, but prefer these.

Back to Miaskovsky 18 in a bit 😁
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Brahmsian

Quote from: foxandpeng on March 20, 2023, 02:28:47 AMBorodin
Symphonies 1 - 3
Loris Tjeknavorian
National Philharmonic Orchestra
RCA

These are fine works, continuing the Russian sound world that seems my bag at the moment. I like these Tjeknavorian recordings, although I have no idea how others see them. I listened to Schwarz on Naxos the other day, but prefer these.

Back to Miaskovsky 18 in a bit 😁

Sounds like perhaps Kalinnikov and Taneyev could be following next.  ;)

foxandpeng

Quote from: OrchestralNut on March 20, 2023, 02:33:39 AMSounds like perhaps Kalinnikov and Taneyev could be following next.  ;)

Certainly Kalinnikov. I fell very hard for his symphonies and the sadness of the story of his personal life, many years ago. Haunting and penetrative beauty.

Taneyev, I know less well, but have him very much on my agenda. I'm dipping in and out of Miaskovsky to these chaps in quite a relaxed and organic way, while making progress daily with at least 1 or 2 NYM symphonies. They seem like a complementary mix. Very glad I have begun to take Miaskovsky seriously after so long dithering. I think the idea of 27 symphonies that I didn't know well, sounded quite a tall ask. It has been anything but that.

Tolstoy

vers la flamme

Granville Bantock: Sappho. Vernon Handley, Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, with Susan Bickley, mezzo-soprano

First listen. Sounds nice, very lush, kind of reminds me of an English Richard Strauss.

Lisztianwagner

Arnold Schönberg
Begleitungsmusik zu einer Lichtspielszene

Giuseppe Sinopoli & Staatskapelle Dresden

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

aligreto

Gregorian Chant [Clervaux] CD 2

This is a wonderfully atmospheric set. Here we have the singing of Benedictine monks supported, for the most part by a low key organ accompaniment. The panning in the production considerably helps with this. The recording is made in a warm and slightly reverberant acoustic which is very engaging.

Traverso

Lisztianwagner

Charles Villiers Stanford
Symphony No. 6

Vernon Handley & Ulster Orchestra

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Harry

Dieterich Buxtehude.
"Salvator Mundi"
Jesu meines Lebens Leben BuxWV 62.
Fürwahr, er trug unsere Krankheit BuxWV 31.
Ich bin die Auferstehung und das Leben BuxWV 44.
Chiaccon: Laudate pueri Dominum BuxWV 69.
Befiehl dem Engel BuxWV 10.
Chiaccona: Quemadmodum desiderat cervus BuxWV 92.
Herr, ich lasse dich nicht BuxWV 36.
Herzlich lieb hab ich Dich, o Herr BuxWV 41.
Versus: Herzlich Lieb hab ich dich o Herr.
Versus: Es ist ja, Herr, dein Geschenk und Gab.
Versus: Ach Herr, lass dein lieb Engelein.

Ricercar Consort.
Hanna Bayodi-Hirt & Yetzabel Arias, soprano.
David Sagastume, alto.
Hugo Hymas, ténor.
Mathias Vieweg, basse.
Sophie Gent & Augustin Lusson, violon et viole de gambe (4).
Anna Lachegyi & Clémence Schiltz, Mathias Ferré (4), viole de gambe.
Benoît Vanden Bemden, violone.
Giovanna Pessi, harpe triple.
Daniel Zapico, théorbe.
Paul Goussot, orgue.
Guy Ferber & Xavier Gendreau, trompette.
Adrien Mabire & Gawain Glenton, cornet.
Philippe Pierlot, viole de gambe et direction.

Enregistré du 10 au 15 octobre 2022 à l'Abbaye Sainte-Trinité de la Lucerne d'Outremer. Playing time = 73 minutes.

To be honest, I am in two minds about this interpretation. On the one hand I think its pretty good, but as a whole it fails to move me. Cannot lay a finger on why, but maybe I simply have to play it a few times to get the essence of this performance.. Voices are on the whole adequate to good, but the expression is at times rather fierce. The instrumental part is a bit sluggish. Sound is good though, but not exceptional.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

vandermolen

Carwithen - a very enjoyable CD
'Bishop Rock' was on the radio a few days ago:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Harry

Quote from: vandermolen on March 20, 2023, 05:26:54 AMCarwithen - a very enjoyable CD
'Bishop Rock' was on the radio a few days ago:

Super disc, one of my favourites to be sure!

vandermolen

Earlier today. Best version of No.8 IMO and a very strong one of the Antartica:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Harry on March 20, 2023, 05:29:58 AMSuper disc, one of my favourites to be sure!
Good to know my friend.
I like the Chandos CD of her chamber music as well.

Harry

Quote from: vandermolen on March 20, 2023, 05:31:52 AMGood to know my friend.
I like the Chandos CD of her chamber music as well.

Its on my streaming list! :)

Tsaraslondon

For my money this disc is nowhere near as successful a compilation as the two EMI discs I was listening to a couple of days ago. True, we have a programme of duets as well as arias, a couple of these taken from solo recitals with piano, which does accord us more variety, but few of the arias included improve on what we hear on the EMI discs, and his duet partners, aside from Barbieri as Azucena, afforded me very little pleasure, Albanese a quavery Manon Lescaut and Milanov a matronly and rather blowsy Aida, Tosca and Santuzza. Björling is still marvellous, but I prefer his younger self on the EMI discs. I think this is one I can safely dispense with.
\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

foxandpeng

Nicolai Miaskovsky
Complete Symphonies
Symphony 18
Svetlanov
State Academic Symphony Orchestra of Russia

This is delightful, to be honest. Folk melodies and whirling peasants abound! There's no doubt that NYM writes masterfully for strings, and that is becoming increasingly apparent to me as he moves into this purple patch of quality writing. Wind instruments, brass... all the good stuff.

Tolstoy

Tsaraslondon

A couple of years ago I had a bit of a Barbara Bonney phase, having acquired two really lovely song recitals, both of which were recorded more than ten years after any of the items on this compilation. In that time she definitely grew as an artist, and, though the voice is still lovely and beautifully produced here, the disc comes across as being rather insipid; lovely but unmemorable. This is another disc I probably won't miss.
\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

Florestan

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini