What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foxandpeng and 17 Guests are viewing this topic.

Mandryka

Quote from: Harry on March 20, 2023, 06:35:02 AMWilliam Byrd.
Clarifica Me.
Organ Music.

Leon Berben plays on th the Historical Organ At Oosthuizen (C.1521)
Recorded in May 2007 in the Grote Kerk, Oosthuizen, The Netherlands.

DISPOSITION
Bourdon 16
Prestant 8
Octaaf 4 (doubled from a' onwards)
Quint 3
Woudfluit 2
Mixtuur II – III
Sexquialter Diskant II
Compass: F, G, A – g'', a''
Mean-tone temperament, a' = 465 Hz.

During the 2002-3 restoration, the pipe-work was
carefully re-examined and restored with great care. The
note markings on the pipes bear the handwriting of
organ-makers that suggests the assembly was the work of
Pieter Backer, active around 1670. He seems to have
used and combined parts of other organs, perhaps those
previously in the churches of Monnickendam, Hoorn
and Medemblik.

Frankly I never heard many of the recorded works on this disc played on the Organ, but it works, maybe not in all the works, but as a whole its reveling and well argued. The Organ is a beautiful instrument, pure and well tuned. The Pitch: a'= 465 Hz, so it will be a bit strenuous on the ears, albeit not in such a way that it bothers me much, but it can bite in a few pieces on this disc. Berben makes a feast out of it, by playing Byrd's music almost lovingly on this Renaissance organ.

I like it very much actually - not just the organ but also the incisively articulated interpretations. He makes Byrd's keyboard music sound as bold and exciting harmonically and rhythmically as Bull's!

Be sure to check Berben's Bull CD, a concert recording at Lanvellec. It's on Qobuz and Spotify.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Papy Oli

A first listen to Peteris Vasks with his Oboe Concerto.

Olivier

Papy Oli

Quote from: foxandpeng on March 20, 2023, 08:47:11 AMI love both of these pieces. Great choices. I have a deep affection for 22, in particular.

I have enjoyed his No.1 and No.50 earlier, his Cello concerto on the other hand didn't really work for me. I'll need to try his 2nd symphony as well. Thank you again for those pointers.
Olivier

Brahmsian

Quote from: Papy Oli on March 20, 2023, 09:09:24 AMI have enjoyed his No.1 and No.50 earlier, his Cello concerto on the other hand didn't really work for me. I'll need to try his 2nd symphony as well. Thank you again for those pointers.

I know next to nothing about Hovhaness, but isn't there a Whale Symphony?

Papy Oli

Quote from: OrchestralNut on March 20, 2023, 09:14:38 AMI know next to nothing about Hovhaness, but isn't there a Whale Symphony?

Me neither  ;D

Idagio lists a work called "And God created Great Whales" op.229/1
Olivier

Brahmsian

Quote from: Papy Oli on March 20, 2023, 09:19:28 AMMe neither  ;D

Idagio lists a work called "And God created Great Whales" op.229/1

Ah ok, that must be it!

Lisztianwagner

J. S. Bach
Partita for Violin Solo No.3 (piano arr. Rachmaninov)

Sergei Rachmaninov
Piano Concerto No.4

Daniil Trifonov (piano)
Yannick Nézet-Séguin & Philhadelphia Orchestra

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Linz

Bantock

Karl Henning

Quote from: Papy Oli on March 20, 2023, 09:09:24 AMI have enjoyed his No.1 and No.50 earlier, his Cello concerto on the other hand didn't really work for me. I'll need to try his 2nd symphony as well. Thank you again for those pointers.
What did you think of the Metal Instruments Symphony, Oli?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

DavidW

The ninth, really good performance!

Excellent 4th, 5th, Norfolk Rhapsody #1 and Lark Ascending from the set that Hurwitz oddly hates with every bone in his body *shrugs*

Tsaraslondon

This is an absolutely deligtful CD. Bonney has retained her springlike freshness of voice, but has clearly evolved as an artist. The very first song (Dowland's Come again) is a charming invitation to the listener to partake in in a disc, which is pure joy from beginning to end. Though the voice might seem more suited to songs of happiness, Bonney can also embrace deeper emotions, and the final Dido's Lament is touchingly simple and direct in effect. Variety is ensured, by the fact that she is accompanied at the beginning by Jacob Herringham on lute, then by the viol quartet, Phantasm, and finally by The Academy of Ancient Music under Christoper Hogwood. Pure joy.
\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

Papy Oli

Quote from: Karl Henning on March 20, 2023, 10:29:40 AMWhat did you think of the Metal Instruments Symphony, Oli?

I listened to it twice, Karl but it eluded me overall. The "metal" combination was intriguing and different but I couldn't maintain my attention throughout the work.Since I liked the symphonies today, I am sure I will revisit that as well at some point.
Olivier

foxandpeng

Quote from: DavidW on March 20, 2023, 10:32:09 AMThe ninth, really good performance!

Excellent 4th, 5th, Norfolk Rhapsody #1 and Lark Ascending from the set that Hurwitz oddly hates with every bone in his body *shrugs*

I expected to dislike the Haitink RVW simply because it is an older set of recordings. I know, I know. I enjoyed them a great deal.

PS... I'm going to dip in and out of the Dvorak over the next few days, I reckon. Again, I had forgotten just how much I love his symphonies. Duh.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

DavidW

Quote from: foxandpeng on March 20, 2023, 11:25:18 AMI expected to dislike the Haitink RVW simply because it is an older set of recordings. I know, I know. I enjoyed them a great deal.

PS... I'm going to dip in and out of the Dvorak over the next few days, I reckon. Again, I had forgotten just how much I love his symphonies. Duh.

Aha!  The audiophile in the room has been discovered! ;D

Brian

Gouvy - Sonata for two pianos
Gouvy - Variations on an English tune
The Ysaye who was not Eugene - Variations
Saint-Saens - Variations on a Theme of Beethoven
Mélan-Guéroult - Tourbillon

Harry

Quote from: Mandryka on March 20, 2023, 08:59:40 AMI like it very much actually - not just the organ but also the incisively articulated interpretations. He makes Byrd's keyboard music sound as bold and exciting harmonically and rhythmically as Bull's!

Be sure to check Berben's Bull CD, a concert recording at Lanvellec. It's on Qobuz and Spotify.

Will do!
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Roasted Swan

Quote from: foxandpeng on March 20, 2023, 11:25:18 AMI expected to dislike the Haitink RVW simply because it is an older set of recordings. I know, I know. I enjoyed them a great deal.

Saying the Haitink is an older set of recordings makes me feel VERY old........ sigh.......

foxandpeng

Quote from: DavidW on March 20, 2023, 11:41:01 AMAha!  The audiophile in the room has been discovered! ;D

Haha. With my dodgy ears? I wish 😋
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Brian

Quote from: foxandpeng on March 20, 2023, 12:37:51 PMHaha. With my dodgy ears? I wish 😋
;D  ;D I remember I started collecting SACDs despite not having a surround sound system...then realized I couldn't actually tell the difference. Then I repeated the same lesson with huge lossless download file formats. Then I bought a little portable DAC for my headphones...still couldn't tell the difference. I've finally given up now. ;D

Karl Henning

Maiden-Listen Monday!

JSB
Concerto for Oboe d'amore in A, BWV 1055R

Myaskovsky
Symphony № 10 in f minor, Op. 30 (1927)
Vienna Radio Symphony
Gottfried Rabl

Symphony № 6 in eb minor, Op. 23 (1923)
Yurlov Russian Choir
USSR Symphony
Kirill Kondrashin

Possibly not my absolute first hearing of the Sixth, but my first certainly with the choral ending
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot