What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd

Quote from: Brian on March 20, 2023, 12:45:25 PM;D  ;D I remember I started collecting SACDs despite not having a surround sound system...then realized I couldn't actually tell the difference. Then I repeated the same lesson with huge lossless download file formats. Then I bought a little portable DAC for my headphones...still couldn't tell the difference. I've finally given up now. ;D

You need to wait until you are a middle-aged man with higher disposable income before you can hear a difference.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

San Antone

Bartók: Piano Concertos Nos. 1, 2 & 3
Géza Anda (piano)
Radio Symphony Orchestra Berlin, Ferenc Fricsay

Much as you'd like to tout the new as the best, there are some older recordings where a very special chemistry spells 'definitive', and that pose an almost impossible challenge to subsequent rivals. Such is this 1959 recording of Bartók's Second Piano Concerto, a tough, playful, pianistically aristocratic performance where dialogue is consistently keen and spontaneity is captured on the wing (even throughout numerous sessions). The first movement is relentless but never tires the ear; the second displays two very different levels of tension, one slow and mysterious, the other hectic but controlled; and although others might have thrown off the finale's octaves with even greater abandon, Anda's performance is the most successful in suggesting savage aggression barely held in check. The Third Concerto is again beautifully moulded and carefully thought through.

Moments such as the loving return from the second movement's chirpy central episode are quite unforgettable, while the finale is both nimble and full toned. The First Concerto was the last to be recorded and is perhaps the least successful of the three: here ensemble is occasionally loose, and characterisation less vivid than with some. Still, it's a fine performance and the current transfer has been lovingly effected. (Gramophone)

Todd

Lisztianwagner

Alexander Zemlinsky
Maeterlinck Lieder

Anne Sofie von Otter (mezzo-soprano)
John Eliot Gardiner & NDR-Sinfonieorchester

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Karl Henning

Quote from: foxandpeng on March 20, 2023, 07:05:07 AMI'm really enjoying this!
This is one of my favorites, although I should disclose that I've not yet heard all 27. And it was (not surprisingly) @vandermolen who tipped me onto this very recording.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: DavidW on March 20, 2023, 06:43:15 AMDvorak's 6th and 7th.  The sixth is one of the greatest symphonies ever written, and Suitner delivers an exceptional performance with so much attention to detail which I don't know is pure Suitner or excellent audio engineering.  Highly recommended!

Birtwistle-- first listen to this composer.  He delivers on Pettersson-esque melancholy, but is more interesting and complex.  Great music here.  I will continue to explore his music.

Must admit, re Birtwistle, the names of the compositions (and perhaps a bit from the artwork  ;)  )are intriguing me.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

foxandpeng

Quote from: Karl Henning on March 20, 2023, 02:41:05 PMThis is one of my favorites, although I should disclose that I've not yet heard all 27. And it was (not surprisingly) @vandermolen who tipped me onto this very recording.

I like that there are symphonies here which are more sober and more pensive than others, but I also have a great affection for those in the cycle that are suffused with joy, or whose passion for life are showcased. 19 has much of that. I will say that I'm pleasantly surprised at just how good the symphonies are. Once I've traversed the cycle (and I am giving lots of repeat listens to each one), it will be time to let them settle and for me to make some sense of initial favourites.

I do look forward to that when a new composer comes along, and my grasp on the work moves into a level of familiarity.

NP:

Nicolai Miaskovsky
Complete Symphonies
Symphony 20
Svetlanov
State Academic Symphony Orchestra of Russia

Second run at this today. Listening with low lights and a comfy blanket.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

VonStupp

Quote from: VonStupp on March 19, 2023, 07:24:28 AMAntonín Dvořák
Stabat Mater, op. 58

Janice Watson, soprano
Dagmar Pecková, mezzo
Peter Auty, tenor
Peter Rose, bass
London PO & Choir - Neeme Järvi (rec. 2010)

For today:

I still own Robert Shaw's Telarc recording, issued around his death. It is 2CDs and 85-minutes long.

While I enjoy bold choices in interpretation, ones that occasionally go against the grain, Neeme Järvi, on 1 CD and 67 minutes in length, has the potential to just sound wrong.

I know timings don't tell the whole story, but a 20-minute difference between recordings seems substantial! We'll see...
VS

Dvořák's music is wonderful as usual, and this one has more underlying menace and strong rhythmic qualities. The performers are all good.

Per my wonderings, I did a quick compare between Dvořák's tempos and Järvi's, something I have never done with a recording before.

Dvorak / Jarvi
1 𝅗𝅥 = 76 / J: 98
2 ♩ = 63 / J: 70
3 ♩ = 69 / J: 90
4 ♪ = 69 / J: 90
5 ♩.= 42 / J: 62
6 ♩ = 56 / J: 102
7 ♩ = 52 / J: 66
8 ♪ = 104 / J: 124
9 ♩ = 54 / J: 90
Amen, 𝅗𝅥 = 132 / J: 124

Not everything was a runaway from Järvi, but transitions felt clunky and occasional frantic moments come and go (especially in the 1st and 9th mvts.). To my ears, it sounds like he fought with the mezzo on tempo more than the others, but in general he starts the orchestral introduction faster compared to the tempo that is set once the chorus or vocalists enter.

I will spend a little time with another:

Antonín Dvořák
Stabat Mater, op. 58

Christine Goerke, soprano
Marietta Simpson, mezzo
Stanford Olsen, tenor
Nathan Berg, bass-baritone
Atlanta SO - Robert Shaw

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Todd

Oh, wow!  This is an insanely good disc.  I've heard other takes on the young Mahler's Piano Quartet, but this one just smooshes all others - and they've all been good.  While this doesn't make me think the work is a masterpiece, the Prazak deliver super-heated playing that renders the music so over the top that even Korngold might blush.  (Or borrow some ideas.)  The early Schoenberg String Quartet is scarcely less good.  One hears big hints of Central European music, not least whiffs of Brahms and Dvorak in the mix.  The late Schoenberg String Trio and Phantasy for Violin offer almost maximal stylistic contrasts, with the players all delivering gobsmackingly good playing.  They make the music attractive.  I hope this level of quality persists in Schoenberg, because that would mean they may overtake the extra-formidable Quatour Diotima as my first choice.  The complete Prazak box is turning out to be even better than I anticipated only a few new to me discs in.  I've long known their as good as the very best LvB, Dvorak, Smetana, and Janacek, and my suspicions about their overall greatness are being confirmed over and over. 

Linz

Strauss: Violin concerto in D minor, Op. 8 and Violin Sonata in E Flat Op. 18, Sarah Chang violin, Bavarian Radio Symphony orchestra, Wolfgang Sawallisch

vers la flamme

Damn good idea, old San Antone.

Béla Bartók: Piano Concerto No.1, Sz 83. Géza Anda, Ferenc Fricsay, Radio-Symphonie-Orchester Berlin

Haven't heard this, or any Bartók concerto, in many years. It sounds excellent.

DavidW

Quote from: Todd on March 20, 2023, 03:48:34 PM

Oh, wow!  This is an insanely good disc.  I've heard other takes on the young Mahler's Piano Quartet, but this one just smooshes all others - and they've all been good.  While this doesn't make me think the work is a masterpiece, the Prazak deliver super-heated playing that render the music so over the top that even Korngold might blush.  (Or borrow some ideas.)  The early Schoenberg String Quartet is scarcely less good.  One hears big hints of Central European music, not least whiffs of Brahms and Dvorak in the mix.  The late Schoenberg String Trio and Phantasy for Violin offer almost maximal stylistic contrasts, with the players all delivering gobsmackingly good playing.  They make the music attractive.  I hope this level of quality persists in Schoenberg, because that would mean they may overtake the extra-formidable Quatour Diotima as my first choice.  The complete Prazak box is turning out to be even better than I anticipated only a few new to me discs in.  I've long known their as good as the very best LvB, Dvorak, Smetana, and Janacek, and my suspicions about their overall greatness are being confirmed over and over. 

I recently listened to that recording as well Todd, it was the first I pulled from the Prazak box.  I seemed to have similar impressions.  I was surprised by how much Dvorak there was in the early quartet and the highlight for me was the string trio.

DavidW

Quote from: vers la flamme on March 20, 2023, 04:06:42 PMDamn good idea, old San Antone.

Béla Bartók: Piano Concerto No.1, Sz 83. Géza Anda, Ferenc Fricsay, Radio-Symphonie-Orchester Berlin

Haven't heard this, or any Bartók concerto, in many years. It sounds excellent.

That is my favorite recording of the piano concertos.

DavidW

Gardiner Bach cantatas bwv 4, 31, 66 they are for Easter, I'm a bit early so sue me! :D

vers la flamme

Quote from: DavidW on March 20, 2023, 04:25:57 PMThat is my favorite recording of the piano concertos.

I think you're not alone on that, it seems to be the go-to pick for 60 plus years! I haven't heard any other but I'm not really wanting for any alternative, Anda and Ferenc lay it down pretty definitively.

On that note I'm onto the second piano concerto, which is even better, I think.

Cato

Quote from: San Antone on March 20, 2023, 12:53:09 PMBartók: Piano Concertos Nos. 1, 2 & 3
Géza Anda (piano)
Radio Symphony Orchestra Berlin, Ferenc Fricsay

Much as you'd like to tout the new as the best, there are some older recordings where a very special chemistry spells 'definitive', and that pose an almost impossible challenge to subsequent rivals. Such is this 1959 recording of Bartók's Second Piano Concerto, a tough, playful, pianistically aristocratic performance where dialogue is consistently keen and spontaneity is captured on the wing (even throughout numerous sessions).

Quote from: vers la flamme on March 20, 2023, 04:29:21 PMI think you're not alone on that, it seems to be the go-to pick for 60 plus years! I haven't heard any other but I'm not really wanting for any alternative, Anda and Ferenc lay it down pretty definitively.

On that note I'm onto the second piano concerto, which is even better, I think.

Oh my!  In fact, I think I heard that 1959 recording c. 1963, when I was teaching myself Classical Music via studying the scores.  Bartok was still huge back then, a symbol of (one of the possible) Futures of Music, an alternative to Serialism, the "Polish School," and assorted other avenues.

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on March 20, 2023, 02:23:41 PMAlexander Zemlinsky
Maeterlinck Lieder

Anne Sofie von Otter (mezzo-soprano)
John Eliot Gardiner & NDR-Sinfonieorchester[/b]

A marvelous, ravishing, extraordinary work!

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

vers la flamme

Arnold Bax: Tintagel. John Barbirolli, London Symphony Orchestra

brewski

Bacewicz: Concerto for String Orchestra (Ruth Reinhardt / Frankfurt Radio Symphony, live from June 2020) - This imaginative score shows, once again, that Bacewicz deserves to be better known.

-Bruce
"I set down a beautiful chord on paper—and suddenly it rusts."
—Alfred Schnittke (1934-1998)

brewski

And just because we can, listening to the same Bacewicz piece, this time by the Norwegian Chamber Orchestra, and also outstanding.

Here's the last movement:

-Bruce
"I set down a beautiful chord on paper—and suddenly it rusts."
—Alfred Schnittke (1934-1998)

Symphonic Addict

Szymanowski: Violin Concerto No. 1

Is there anything more intoxicating, hedonistic, voluptuous than any of Szymanowski's Violin Concertos? A total feast to the ears.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky