What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

ŞEYH GALİBE SAYGI - YALÇIN TURA'YA ARMAĞAN.  Ayangil Turkish Music Orchestra and Chorus.

vandermolen

Quote from: foxandpeng on March 25, 2023, 04:23:13 AMI'm still to hear this, but look forward to doing so. Valedictory works carry special poignancy, I think. Same kind of thing as Clive James' poem Japanese Maple.
The Clive James poem is very moving. I never saw it before.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Todd

Kind of a dud.  Grimaud favors a slow approach, which can work, but her playing sounds merely slow, and the orchestral contributions lack bite and sufficient dynamic contrast.  The whole thing sounds flattened out.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

vers la flamme

Ralph Vaughan Williams: Te Deum in G major; Mass in G minor. Martin Baker, Westminster Cathedral Choir

First listen. For a committed atheist, RVW wrote some beautiful and convincing sacred music.

Lisztianwagner

First listen to this performance:

Erkki Melartin
Symphony No. 3

Sakari Oramo & Finnish Radio Symphony Orchestra

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

JBS

NP

I've never heard anything by Vine before now.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

foxandpeng

Reinhold Glière
String Quartets 1 and 2
Pulzus SQ

First listen to wind down the day. Good choice of tuneful and soothing music thus far. I don't know Glière at all.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

vers la flamme

Anton Bruckner: Symphony No.3 in D minor, WAB 103. Eugen Jochcum, Staatskapelle Dresden

First listen to this recording of the most problematic (for me) Bruckner symphony. It sounds amazing. Could this be the performance to make the music click for me? We shall soon find out.

Madiel

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Madiel

Quote from: Karl Henning on March 26, 2023, 03:44:25 AMI had time for the DRD/Stuttgarters recording before heading off to church choir duty. Thoroughly charming piece, and I'm glad your post inspired a fresh listen, even if non-combustible of hosiery.

I'm having another listen to no.78 today (it being the next day here), and I'm finding my clothing is being rustled somewhat. I knew I quite liked the 1st movement, but the 2nd is also appealing to me this time.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Mapman

Quote from: brewski on March 25, 2023, 05:54:53 PMOh how cool! In that case, I won't go on and on, other than to say that Detroit has a damn fine ensemble, and Bignamini was new to me before seeing some of the orchestra's streams.

I have heard George Li before, mostly in smaller works—nothing like the extravagance on display here. The audience clearly enjoyed him and the Rach a LOT, and he responded with a lovely encore (which I didn't recognize).

Anyway, have a great time!

-Bruce

It was a good concert, and close to full. It's the best crowd I've seen at a Sunday afternoon concert in the past 2 years. The audience was also enthusiastic today, and Li's encore was La Campanella.

I was impressed with Coleridge-Taylor's Ballade. I also especially enjoyed the clarinet solo in the 2nd movement of Rachmaninoff's 2nd Piano Concerto, and the ending of the 2nd movement of Brahms 4 (perhaps my favorite moment in Brahms' orchestral music).

brewski

Quote from: Mapman on March 26, 2023, 04:52:30 PMIt was a good concert, and close to full. It's the best crowd I've seen at a Sunday afternoon concert in the past 2 years. The audience was also enthusiastic today, and Li's encore was La Campanella.

I was impressed with Coleridge-Taylor's Ballade. I also especially enjoyed the clarinet solo in the 2nd movement of Rachmaninoff's 2nd Piano Concerto, and the ending of the 2nd movement of Brahms 4 (perhaps my favorite moment in Brahms' orchestral music).

Fantastic. (PS, the hall looks like a lovely room, too.) I also liked Ballade, and want to give it a re-listen. And yes to all the other bits. I also have a deep emotional connection to No. 4, which was one of the first classical records I recall, probably at age 10 or 12.

Now listening to Hugh Wolff and the Frankfurt Radio Symphony in a sparkling version of Holst's The Planets, uploaded just yesterday. Later from the same concert, Britten's Violin Concerto, with soloist Carolin Widmann.

-Bruce
"I set down a beautiful chord on paper—and suddenly it rusts."
—Alfred Schnittke (1934-1998)

JBS

Quote from: Madiel on March 26, 2023, 04:28:38 PMThoughts?

Meaty. In a good way.
Will definitely need more listens.

Meanwhile
Back to the Warner Ballets Russes box
CD 18
Saison 1922
Stravinsky Renard
Saison 1923
Stravinsky Les Noces

Saison 1924
Poulenc Les Biches

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Keemun

Lyapunov: Etudes d'execution transcendante (Vincenzo Maltempos)

I just discovered this work and it's wonderful.  :)
Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life. - Ludwig van Beethoven

Baxcalibur

Quote from: Løvfald on March 25, 2023, 05:21:22 PMGood to know there are more fans of this composer. His 3rd Symphony in C major is his best achievement in the form, a noble and epic work that should be recorded more often. It's a crime that there's only one recording of it, but fortunately it is pretty good. Do you know his exotic ballet Lackschmi? Another real stunner.
I haven't heard "Lackschmi" yet, but I'll be sure to listen to it soon. And yes, I fully agree with your thoughts on the third symphony.

Madiel

Haydn symphony randomiser: no.20 in C major

A very early symphony, probably but not definitively from the Morzin period. And, as presented by Hogwood, sparkling and delightful. The Andante is a very simple accompaniment to a melody, but it's utterly charming when done like this.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Granados: Danzas Espanolas. Emili Brugalla.

Baxcalibur

Yesterday and today... Schoenberg's chamber arrangements of Mahler's "Lieder eines fahrenden Gesellen" and "Das Lied von der Erde."

I don't miss hearing the full orchestra in these works, at all. But the performance of "Das Lied von der Erde" was so haunting that I'm not sure if I could listen to the piece again.

vandermolen

Quote from: Traverso on March 26, 2023, 09:55:10 AM

Arguably the best Tallis Fantasia with its cathedral acoustic.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mandryka

Funny sound, I actually thought there may be a problem with the hifi and changed systems. But anything with Emmanuel Bonnardot singing is probably, maybe, worth hearing once even if you have to suffer a bit for it.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen