What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jo498 and 17 Guests are viewing this topic.

foxandpeng

Quote from: Karl Henning on March 27, 2023, 11:22:37 AMInteresting that the last movement of the 24th uses a motif which reminded me of the Shostakovich 12th. The Shostakovich is of course much later.

See, this why I'm glad you are listening to these Myaskovsky symphonies. Illuminating!

Listening again to the Yablonsky, as I had to break off earlier. 24 is very worthwhile, I have to say, although I don't yet pick up too many differences in the performance compared to the Svetlanov, beyond it being a little brighter sound wise 
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

vers la flamme

Quote from: DavidW on March 27, 2023, 06:24:45 AMIf it doesn't click with Jochum, try Tintner.  He opened the door for me on the third.  I'm not a huge fan of the Tintner cycle but I think his earlier Bruckner is outstanding.

I do have the Tintner 3rd too, though can't remember whether or not I've heard it. I do know it's an earlier version of the symphony which is much longer.

Now playing;

Granville Bantock: Celtic Symphony. Vernon Handley, Royal Philharmonic Orchestra

First listen, nice string music.

Re: all the Myaskovsky talk, I haven't been quite drawn to his music lately, but I hope to join you all in your exploration sooner or later. I do not have any of the symphonies on disc, and if anyone would like to recommend to me a good single disc or two of them, I would be much obliged.

Lisztianwagner

Erkki Melartin
Symphony No.4

Leonid Grin & Tampere Philharmonic Orchestra

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

vers la flamme

Quote from: vers la flamme on March 27, 2023, 02:25:41 PMI do have the Tintner 3rd too, though can't remember whether or not I've heard it. I do know it's an earlier version of the symphony which is much longer.

Now playing;

Granville Bantock: Celtic Symphony. Vernon Handley, Royal Philharmonic Orchestra

First listen, nice string music.

Now The Witch of Atlas, which I like better. Bantock strikes me as a very decadent late Romantic composer who values the sensory experience, maybe akin to guys like Richard Strauss or Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov. Nice, mood music that I probably can't listen to all the time, but it is enjoyable.

vers la flamme

Louis Spohr: Violin Concerto No.8 in A minor, op.47, "In modo di scena cantante". Elizabeth Wallfisch, Roy Goodman, The Brandenburg Orchestra

Sounding nice; exactly what I was in the mood for. I should hear more music from some of these late-Classical-early-Romantic composers.

Karl Henning

Maiden-Listen Monday!

Peter Maxwell Davies
Symphony № 6 (1996)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

foxandpeng

Nicolai Myaskowsky
Symphony 25
Daniel Huppert
Bergische Symphoniker

First listen to this recording. Much slower first movement, so far, clocking in a good minute extra, at least.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

vers la flamme

Quote from: vers la flamme on March 27, 2023, 03:20:45 PM

Louis Spohr: Violin Concerto No.8 in A minor, op.47, "In modo di scena cantante". Elizabeth Wallfisch, Roy Goodman, The Brandenburg Orchestra

Sounding nice; exactly what I was in the mood for. I should hear more music from some of these late-Classical-early-Romantic composers.

Also listened to Josef Mysliveček's Violin Concerto No.4 in B-flat major on the same disc, which was also nice, more straight-up classical, I think, than the Spohr.

One more violin concerto for the evening:

Felix Mendelssohn: Violin Concerto in E minor, op.64. Josef Suk, Karel Ančerl, Czech Philharmonic Orchestra

Good to revisit this recording; I'm on a little bit of an Ančerl kick.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Karl Henning on March 27, 2023, 03:22:27 PMMaiden-Listen Monday!

Peter Maxwell Davies

Symphony № 6 (1996)

Whether I understood it or not, I enjoyed the trip.

Now:

Maiden-Listen Monday!

Gianfrancesco Malipiero
Sonata a 5 (1952)
Laura Newell, hp
Stuyvesant Quartet

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Madiel

Brahms: string quartet No.1

Melos Quartet
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

vers la flamme

Quote from: vers la flamme on March 27, 2023, 03:52:39 PM

Felix Mendelssohn: Violin Concerto in E minor, op.64. Josef Suk, Karel Ančerl, Czech Philharmonic Orchestra

Good to revisit this recording; I'm on a little bit of an Ančerl kick.

Now, same disc, same forces:

Max Bruch: Violin Concerto No.1 in G minor, op.26

I know this is a very famous work, but I have not yet spent much time getting to know it. It's very beautiful, very melodic, and very soloistic of course. I can't help but hear a similarity between the finale of this and the finale of the Brahms VC; was Brahms inspired by Bruch? Absolutely beautiful performance from Suk, Ančerl & the Czechs, leaving nothing to be desired. Surely better than the only other performance I've heard, which features Kurt Masur and Salvatore Accardo.

& finally, just now starting:

Alban Berg: Violin Concerto, "To the Memory of an Angel"

... which I've not heard in quite a long time. So far so good.

Symphonic Addict

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

JBS

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Symphonic Addict

CPO should continue recording his symphonies, this is an amazing disc.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Que

Considering the vast amount of music for Easter and Passiontide on my shelves, I'm starting early!
Checking out a prospective purchase on Spotify:

PS This is lovely but notwithstanding my general appreciation of this composer this is not exactly wowing me. Extensive  French-style "leçons" by solo soprano with mostly simple continuo accompaniment.

Harry

Andreas Hammerschmidt.
Geistliche Werke "Ach Jesus stirbt".
Vox Luminis, Lionel Meunier.

Zsuzsi Tóth & Caroline Weynants: sopranos I
Stefanie True & Victoria Cassano: sopranos II
Daniel Elgersma & Alexander Chance: countertenors
Raphael Höhn & João Moreira: tenors I
Jacob Lawrence & Philippe Froeliger: tenors II
Sebastian Myrus, Lionel Meunier & Matthew Baker (15): basses
Rudolf Lörinc & Moritz Görg: trumpets
Simen Van Mechelen: alto trombone / Miguel Tantos Sevillano: tenor trombone
Joost Swinkels: bass trombone / Anaïs Ramage: bassoon
Bart Jacobs: great organ (Thomas organ, 2002)
with the participation of
CLEMATIS (6, 8, 12)
Stéphanie de Failly & Amandine Solano: violins
Ellie Nimeroski & Jorlen Vega Garcia: violas
Sarah Van Oudenhove: violone.

Recording: Gedinne, église Notre-Dame, September 2019.
TT= 71:00.

Dipping into Vox Luminus recordings, of which there are plenty around. Their latest recording "Ein Deutsches Barockrequiem" is not yet available on Qobuz, so instead I picked this one to hear. And that is not a crime, for as per usual they rarely disappoint. Neither with this one, cultured singing, excellent diction, and an even choir balance. Hammerschmidt is largely ignored if it comes to recordings. So I am happy with this one at least. It is well recorded. A good start in the morning.

Schütz contemporary Andreas Hammerschmidt is one of the composers of Lutheran Germany who, given his potential, receives far too little attention. Only a few recordings have been devoted to him to date, although his music was widely distributed in print during the composer's lifetime. As with Heinrich Schütz, there is an imaginative combination of the polyphonic Lutheran tradition with the latest Italian influences of the time. Lionel Meunier and his ensemble Vox Luminis present us with a number of the composer's works for the Passion season and Easter in their recording, which arouses curiosity for more music by this criminally underrated composer.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

vandermolen

Lepo Sumera: Symphony No.2
'Modern' music with a soul - like Salmenhaara
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Karl Henning on March 27, 2023, 04:30:53 PMWhether I understood it or not, I enjoyed the trip.

Now:

Maiden-Listen Monday!

Gianfrancesco Malipiero
Sonata a 5 (1952)
Laura Newell, hp
Stuyvesant Quartet

Listen to the Bax as well Karl :)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Harry

Guirne Creith.
Concerto in G minor, for Violin and Orchestra.

Thomas Pitfield.
Violin concerto in one movement.

Richard Arnell.
Concerto Lirico for violin and Orchestra.

Lorraine McAslan, Violin.
Royal Scottish National Orchestra, Martin Yates.
Recorded in 2008, Henry Wood Hall, Glasgow.
TT.= 64:00.

This is music very much to my liking. Never heard of two composers on this disc, Creith and Pitfield, but listening to their compositions, I am happy discovering them. Creith wrote a very Romantic work, and which one can wallow in the sumptuous warmth of a continuous melody of great charm. The recording is good, safe for the Violin which to my taste is too closely recorded, especially in the first movement of this concerto.There is a terrific front to back image, with all the detail for grabs. All three works are written in a romantic style and a conservative harmonic idiom. Creith's concerto is lush and sensuous, while Pitfield's concerto is modally inflected, Arnell concerto in one movement is sweet, very original and as good as any other composer in his time.
Well worth hearing!
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."