What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vers la flamme

Sergei Rachmaninov: Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini, op.43. Vladimir Ashkenazy, Bernard Haitink, Philharmonia Orchestra

Happy 150th.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Harry

Eric Coates.
Orchestral Works.

Suite: The Three Men
The Man from the Country
The Man-about-Town
The Man from the Sea
Concert Valse: Dancing Nights
Two Symphonic Rhapsodies
I Pitch my Lonely Caravan
Birdsongs at Eventide / I Heard You Singing )
Idyll: Summer Afternoon
Ballet: The Enchanted Garden (1946)
Concert Valse: Footlights (1939)
Suite: 4 Centuries (1942)
Rhythm (20th Century)
March: London Bridge (1934)

London Philharmonic Orchestra, Barry Wordsworth.
Recorded in 2007. TT. 76:19.

Absolutely delightful, such enjoyable music, and perfectly performed and recorded. Coates quickly gets to my top list of favourite light music with a serious twist. But there is something odd on this recording, instead of the two Rhapsodies by Coates, (which I clearly miss) we are treated to two orchestral pieces by Elgar, not credited though, and some dodgy sound.  There must have been a tremendous error in editing the wrong music to a different composer. So, "I Pitch my Lonely Caravan" and "Birdsongs at Eventide / I Heard You Singing" are not on this CD, which is a bloody shame.
Still what is there is absolutely amazing.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Traverso

Busoni

Elegien. 7 neue Klavierstücke
Suite Campestre op.18
Zehn Variationen

Live recording 1987

I have read a review by Hurwitz in which he completely denounces these recordings (dreadful) and puts forward Jeni Slotchiver as a recommendation.
I must say, I had never heard of this pianist, but I will look for it.
Like all reviews, I do not take theme as decisive but I'm curious about his recommendation.

JBS

More Zen Bruckner.
Celi's style works better in the 8th.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Lisztianwagner

Sergei Rachmaninov
Fourteen Songs, Op.34

Elisabeth Söderström (soprano), Vladimir Ashkenazy (piano)

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

vers la flamme

Anton Bruckner: Symphony No.3 in D minor, WAB 103. Eugen Jochum, Staatskapelle Dresden

I really do enjoy this recording of the 3rd, and I'm finding that Jochum's vision of Bruckner's music is resonating with me lately.

Traverso

Busoni

CD 4

Fantasia Contrappuntistica
Choral - Vorspiel Über Ein Bachsches Fragment
Nuit De Noël. Esquisse Pour Le Piano
Indianisches Tagebuch. Erstes Buch. Vier Klavierstudien Über Motive Der Rothäute Amerikas
Fantasia Nach Johann Sebastian Bach

Spotted Horses

After spending a lot of time on off-the-beaten-trail music it is satisfying to return to something brilliant and familiar. First Brahms, now Mozart, String Quartet No 23 (K590), the Amadeus Quartet

Extraordinary music. I'm can't get enough of the little chromatic figure that appears in the accompaniment to the end of the first movement exposition, and again at the close of the piece. The second movement, a poignant theme which is subject to intensifying ornamentation, which never fails to be imaginative. The finale is an explosion of creativity.

The Amadeus doesn't disappoint.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Mandryka

Quote from: Traverso on April 01, 2023, 06:32:00 AMBusoni

Elegien. 7 neue Klavierstücke
Suite Campestre op.18
Zehn Variationen

Live recording 1987

I have read a review by Hurwitz in which he completely denounces these recordings (dreadful) and puts forward Jeni Slotchiver as a recommendation.
I must say, I had never heard of this pianist, but I will look for it.
Like all reviews, I do not take theme as decisive but I'm curious about his recommendation.

It has a bad reputation, it is true. I don't think you can do better in the sonatinas though.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Karl Henning

Quote from: absolutelybaching on April 01, 2023, 04:42:22 AMComposer : Dmitri Shostakovich
Recording : Symphony No. 5 (Noseda - 2016)
Performers : Gianandrea Noseda, London Symphony Orchestra
I like Noseda in practically all I've heard of his work. How is this?

TD:

I've lingered over this for a couple of days ... two of my favorite works of the Birthday Boy's

Symphony № 2, Op. 27
London Phil
Walter Weller

The Isle of the Dead (Остров Мёртвых), Op. 29
Rotterdam Phil
Edo de Waart
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: Undersea on April 01, 2023, 04:49:53 AMCurrently:

de la Rue: Missa Conceptio Tua

Don't think I've ever listened to this Composer before - Have a bit of his Music in my Library from various Compilations :-[

Somewhat austere work perhaps - I like though... :)

At times, musical austerity is just what my ears hanker for.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Karl Henning on April 01, 2023, 07:56:36 AMI like Noseda in practically all I've heard of his work. How is this?

TD:

I've lingered over this for a couple of days ... two of my favorite works of the Birthday Boy's

Symphony № 2, Op. 27
London Phil
Walter Weller

The Isle of the Dead (Остров Мёртвых), Op. 29
Rotterdam Phil
Edo de Waart

The Weller/Decca set of the 3 Rach Symphonies are often overlooked but they are VERY good!

Traverso

Quote from: Mandryka on April 01, 2023, 07:53:51 AMIt has a bad reputation, it is true. I don't think you can do better in the sonatinas though.

Have you heard the Jeni Slotchiver recordings?
What to say about the so-called bad reputation,I've also read so many positive reviews.
I'm glad to have them and see no need to purchase any other recordings.
Busoni is not that important for me.

Mandryka

Quote from: Traverso on April 01, 2023, 08:22:13 AMHave you heard the Jeni Slotchiver recordings?
What to say about the so-called bad reputation,I've also read so many positive reviews.
I'm glad to have them and see no need to purchase any other recordings.
Busoni is not that important for me.

No, I haven't even heard of Slotchiver.

Thanks for mentioning Hurwitz's review. I haven't seen it but it explains why I'm getting so much stick for listening to these recordings!

In fact, Busoni is becoming more and more important for me, at least some of his music. There was a time when it's as if music had to change in some fundamental way - eventually Schoenberg's way kind of blazed the trail, but so many others were experimenting, including Busoni. I think it's fascinating.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Linz

Bruckner Symphony No. 5 in B flat Major, 1878 Version Ed. Robert Haas - No significant difference to Nowak [1935], Berliner Philharmoniker, Gunter Wand

Karl Henning

Listening to Bach on 1 April. No foolin':

JSB
BWV 69 « Lobe den Herrn, meine Seele, »
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Traverso

Quote from: Mandryka on April 01, 2023, 09:00:50 AMNo, I haven't even heard of Slotchiver.

Thanks for mentioning Hurwitz's review. I haven't seen it but it explains why I'm getting so much stick for listening to these recordings!

In fact, Busoni is becoming more and more important for me, at least some of his music. There was a time when it's as if music had to change in some fundamental way - eventually Schoenberg's way kind of blazed the trail, but so many others were experimenting, including Busoni. I think it's fascinating.

Well,here it is

https://www.classicstoday.com/review/review-3356/

I maybe change my mind in time (what is left of it) about Busoni,definitely feel no need for alternative recordings satisfied as I am,anyway,tomorrow the sonatinas among other pieces.

Traverso

Brian

Quote from: Florestan on March 31, 2023, 09:28:23 AMYou should try these as well.

I found these Stojowski albums mostly enjoyable and tuneful but with occasional bits of "easy listening" harmonies that annoyed me.