What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irons and 10 Guests are viewing this topic.

Brian

I don't know what got into me today, but I'm in the mood for nothing but unfamiliar music, especially contemporary or contemporaryish stuff with spiky harmonies and big, bold orchestrations.

Dialing it just a little back now to Hindemith - but my first ever listen to the Symphonia Serena:

Mandryka

Quote from: SonicMan46 on May 31, 2023, 09:52:47 AMYes, the Couperins and Forquerays are confusing!  :D  Jean Baptiste Antoine Forqueray (1699-1782) was the son of Antoine Forqueray (1672-1745); according to the notes in the Mitzi Meyerson harpsichord set and in 1747 "Jean Baptiste Forqueray published five viol suites, claiming that they were composed by his father, Antoine Forqueray, who had died two years earlier. He published the harpsichord transcriptions of these pieces at the same time, and in many respects these represent new compositions."

Does she say whether there is any music which is entirely by Jean Baptiste, or `whether we only have his  transcriptions of his father's suites.  I don't have any books about 16th century keyboard music other than the obvious big name composers.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Lisztianwagner

Gustav Mahler
Adagietto from Symphony No.5 (piano arr.)
Andante Moderato from Symphony No.6 (piano arr.)

Arnold Schönberg
Paraphrase über Arnold Schönbergs Verklärte Nacht

Pianist: Beatrice Berrut

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Mandryka

Quote from: Mandryka on May 31, 2023, 10:25:19 AMDoes she say whether there is any music which is entirely by Jean Baptiste, or `whether we only have his  transcriptions of his father's suites.  I don't have any books about 16th century keyboard music other than the obvious big name composers.

When in doubt, ask GPT4. I think this is really impressive

ME: Did jean Baptiste Forqueray write any music for viol?

CHAT: Yes, Jean-Baptiste Forqueray, a French composer and viola da gamba player, wrote music for the viol. Blah Blah Blah

ME: I think you are confusing Jean Baptoste Foprqueray and Antoine Forqueray. Can you check please?

CHAT: You are correct, and I apologize for the confusion. Jean-Baptiste Forqueray and Antoine Forqueray are indeed two different individuals, both associated with the viola da gamba. . . Jean-Baptiste Forqueray (1699-1782) was the son of Antoine Forqueray and also a viola da gamba player. He is known for his performances on the instrument but did not compose music himself. . . Once again, I apologize for the confusion caused by my previous response. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

classicalgeek

Quote from: Brian on May 31, 2023, 09:53:42 AMI don't know what got into me today, but I'm in the mood for nothing but unfamiliar music, especially contemporary or contemporaryish stuff with spiky harmonies and big, bold orchestrations.

In other words, my wheelhouse! ;D Though I'm not that familiar with the Symphonia Serena...

TD:
Messiaen
*Reveil des oiseaux
*Oiseaux exotiques
Chronocromie
*Roger Muraro, piano
SWR Symphony Orchestra Baden-Baden und Freiburg
Sylvain Cambreling

(on Spotify)

More great performances from this set!
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

SonicMan46

Quote from: Mandryka on May 31, 2023, 10:25:19 AMDoes she say whether there is any music which is entirely by Jean Baptiste, or `whether we only have his  transcriptions of his father's suites.  I don't have any books about 16th century keyboard music other than the obvious big name composers.

The MDG 'English' booklet notes are 12 pages, and written (in translation) by Pierre Jaquier - he discusses the controversy regarding the son's attribution of the viol works to his father and the authorship of the transcriptions (more in an essay HERE); so, as to who wrote the viol pieces and who did the transcriptions is still not clear in my mind?  Dave :)

Brian

The scherzo of the Serenade has long been my favorite Stenhammar, but now Symphony No. 2 is starting to click. I wish that its contrapuntal finale ended on one of the fast sections, not one of the more measured ones, as this would make it feel less academic and more of a complete resolution. But I am starting to really enjoy a lot of the music. Certainly the performances under Blomstedt are as good as I can imagine the music ever getting.

Daverz

Quote from: classicalgeek on May 31, 2023, 07:54:24 AMHaydn
Symphony no. 52
Symphony no. 53
Academy of St. Martin-in-the-Fields
Sir Neville Marriner

(on CD)

Lovely and elegant as usual, though I'm missing some of the grandiosity in the 'trumpet and drum' symphonies (of which no. 53 is one.)

No. 53 is one of the few Haydn symphonies that Stokowski recorded:

TD:

Arthur Lourie: Funeral Games in Honor of Chronos for three flutes, piano, and cymbals.

Lourie gets an amazing range of colors from this unusual instrumentation.

Messiaen: Quartet for the End of Time

Beautifully played, but had trouble getting into this one until the last movement.  Perhaps it lacks atmosphere or I was in the wrong mood.

foxandpeng

Quote from: Brian on May 31, 2023, 11:54:53 AM

The scherzo of the Serenade has long been my favorite Stenhammar, but now Symphony No. 2 is starting to click. I wish that its contrapuntal finale ended on one of the fast sections, not one of the more measured ones, as this would make it feel less academic and more of a complete resolution. But I am starting to really enjoy a lot of the music. Certainly the performances under Blomstedt are as good as I can imagine the music ever getting.

I also like this very much. Listening now thanks to your timely prompt.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Brian

Very happy to help!  ;D

vandermolen

Hubert Clifford Symphony 1940
An inspiriting and defiant Symphony, the closing bars of which were composed during one of the first bombing raids on London in World War Two.
Here's a photo of Clifford (far left) with Sir Henry Wood and John Gogh inspecting the ruins of the Queen's Hall.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Papy Oli

Rubbra - Symphony No.9.

Olivier

Lisztianwagner

Franz Liszt
Années de pèlerinage, Première année: Suisse

Pianist: Bertrand Chamayou

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

SonicMan46

Small BRO order - an add-on (already own the Manze):

Telemann, GP - Violin Fantasias w/ Alina Ibragimova - good reviews of both attached for those interested; of course, many other recordings have been done of these works - also, Telemann wrote 4 sets of Fantasias for solo instruments (as listed below) - check the link for his amazingly LONG catalog!  Dave :)

QuoteTelemann's TWV Catalog
33:1-36 Fantasias for clavecin
40:2 - 40:13 Fantasias for flute
40:14 - 40:25 Fantasias for violin
40: 26 - 40:37 Fantasias for viola da gamba

Linz

The Tallis Scholars, Peter Phillips, Cardoso, Requiem and Alonso Lobo, Versa est in luctum, Credo quod redemptor, Vivo ego, dicit Dominus, Ave Maria

Papy Oli

Matthew Aucoin - Piano Concerto

Olivier

Papy Oli

Ernest Bloch - Concerto Grossi No.1

Olivier

foxandpeng

William Alwyn
Elizabethan Dances
The Innumerable Dance
Concerto for Oboe and Harp
Aphrodite in Aulis
The Magic Island
Festival Dance
David Lloyd Jones
RLPO
Naxos

Ah, this is really good. Prefer this to the symphonies, so far.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

vers la flamme

Quote from: foxandpeng on May 31, 2023, 03:01:11 PMWilliam Alwyn
Elizabeth Dances
The Innumerable Dance
Concerto for Oboe and Harp
Aphrodite in Aulis
The Magic Island
Festival Dance
David Lloyd Jones
RLPO
Naxos

Ah, this is really good. Prefer this to the symphonies, so far.

That's an incredible CD, as is the whole of the late Mr. Lloyd-Jones' Alwyn series. My other favorite is the disc with symphonies 2, 5 and Lyra Angelica, which are probably Alwyn's three best works, in my book. However, I haven't listened to William Alwyn's music with any seriousness in over a year so I'm due to revisit.

Now playing:

Gustav Mahler: Symphony No.6 in A minor. Herbert von Karajan, Berlin Philharmonic

I think this is the 6th time I've listened to this performance in the past month. Happy to say that the 6th, which had always mostly eluded me, is beginning to command my attention and fascination deeply.

foxandpeng

Quote from: vers la flamme on May 31, 2023, 03:08:44 PMThat's an incredible CD, as is the whole of the late Mr. Lloyd-Jones' Alwyn series. My other favorite is the disc with symphonies 2, 5 and Lyra Angelica, which are probably Alwyn's three best works, in my book.

Of the symphonies, 2 & 5 have been most enjoyable so far. I will be continuing to cement all of them in my mind over the next few days. I very much appreciate Lloyd Jones as a conductor, so will use his cycle to get a proper handle on them before branching out, I think. I definitely need to understand Alwyn better!

Tolstoy