What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vers la flamme

Allan Pettersson: Symphony No.8. Thomas Sanderling, RSO Berlin

Continuing the AP mini marathon with a symphony I've heard only once before. I reckon this must be one of the more accessible ones. It starts out quite spacious, but rhythmic with a good bit of percussion and with lots of simple melodic parts for the winds. Not overwhelmingly dark and dissonant by any means, but still as serious as ever.

Cato

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on June 03, 2023, 02:14:14 PMOn youtube:
Arnold Schönberg
Verklärte Nacht

Vladimir Ashkenazy & English Chamber Orchestra

It is excellent!

It was the first CD I ever "obtained" in the CD-era (c. 1982): I won it in a "Name That Tune" contest from a Classical Music radio station!

The "tune" began with an organ playing a low C in the pedal: I dialed the station immediately!  :o  ???  ;)

The announcer was astounded because the only note playing was that deep, organ-pedal C!

What was it?

Also Sprach Zarathustra by Richie Strauss;)

So few stores carried CD's at the time that we had to drive 20 miles to a college town, where a record store had the CD.

I had to wait 18 months to hear it!  :o

We did not own a CD player!  ;D

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Todd

Resonant but still SOTA sound, this set follows the contemporary approach of treating both instrumentalists equally, though more than a few times, it sure seems that FPZ sets the pace.  That works just fine, thank you.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

classicalgeek

Quote from: vandermolen on June 03, 2023, 12:51:34 PMYes, I did indeed James. If I can find the CD I'll do a scan of them for you when I'm back at school next week.

I would much appreciate that! Thank you, Jeffrey.

TD:
Wagner
Orchestral excerpts from 'The Ring'
Cleveland Orchestra
George Szell

(on CD)

So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

Cato

Concerning Karl's From the Pit of a Cave in the Cloud
Quote from: Karl Henning on June 03, 2023, 02:57:07 PMOh, I'm so glad I revisited this!

YES! One of Karl's top works!

Some may not know the behind-the-scenes story: the soprano originally engaged to perform the song had (apparently) dallied and not looked at the score for a long time.

When she was contacted delicately about how things were going, because the date for the performance was not too far away, she (again, apparently) looked at the score for the first time, had a fit, because the text was psychologically disturbing to her, and cancelled abruptly!  :o

The soprano in the recording, Barbara Meyers, gladly agreed to sing the song, as her psyche was less fragile and professionalism greater than that of the previous lady!  ;)

An excellent performance!

Cato

Quote from: classicalgeek on June 03, 2023, 03:23:13 PMI would much appreciate that! Thank you, Jeffrey.

TD:
Wagner
Orchestral excerpts from 'The Ring'
Cleveland Orchestra
George Szell

(on CD)

I believe that came out in the late 1960's: it was so wonderful and received such acclaim that there were immediate calls for a complete Ring cycle by George Szell and The Cleveland Orchestra.

If there were any plans for such a project, Szell's death in 1970 ended them.

Linz

Shostakovich The 15 Symphonies (Disc 1), Symphony No.1 In F Minor, Op.10 and Symphony No.12 In D Minor, Op.112 '1917', Gennady Rozbdestvensky, Ussr Ministry Of Culture Symphony Orchestra

classicalgeek

Quote from: Cato on June 03, 2023, 03:39:14 PMI believe that came out in the late 1960's: it was so wonderful and received such acclaim that there were immediate calls for a complete Ring cycle by George Szell and The Cleveland Orchestra.

If there were any plans for such a project, Szell's death in 1970 ended them.

It's definitely a fantastic performance! I bet a Szell Ring would have been something to behold.

TD:
Szymanowski
Preludes (4) from op. 1
Masques
Mazurkas (4) from op. 50
Variations on a Polish Folk Theme
Krystian Zimerman, piano

(on CD)

An all-around fantastic recording - Zimerman clearly loves this music, and it shows. A diverse program representing Szymanowski from various points in his career, and Zimerman handles it all expertly. As for the music, nothing not to love - I was particularly struck by how I heard pre-echoes of Messiaen(!) in the Masques!

vandermolen

Quote from: Cato on June 03, 2023, 03:07:26 PMIt is excellent!

It was the first CD I ever "obtained" in the CD-era (c. 1982): I won it in a "Name That Tune" contest from a Classical Music radio station!

The "tune" began with an organ playing a low C in the pedal: I dialed the station immediately!  :o  ???  ;)

The announcer was astounded because the only note playing was that deep, organ-pedal C!

What was it?

Also Sprach Zarathustra by Richie Strauss;)

So few stores carried CD's at the time that we had to drive 20 miles to a college town, where a record store had the CD.

I had to wait 18 months to hear it!  :o

We did not own a CD player!  ;D

I bought my first ever CD before I owned a CD player! (Tubin Symphony 2 and 6 on BIS).
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Symphonic Addict

Another home run by Ghedini. This is very personal music.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on June 03, 2023, 02:47:05 AMWilliam Alwyn
Piano Concertos No.1 & 2

Howard Shelley (piano)
Richard Hickox & London Symphony Orchestra

The 2nd Piano Concerto is stunning!
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

classicalgeek

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on June 03, 2023, 06:28:54 PMAnother home run by Ghedini. This is very personal music.

Sounds like I need to explore Ghedini! He sounds like someone right up my proverbial alley.

TD:
Mozart
Symphony no. 39
Symphony no. 40
Wiener Philharmoniker
Leonard Bernstein

(on CD)

I imprinted on these Bernstein/WP late Mozart symphonies, and as fine as they are, I think I have other versions I prefer now. Colin Davis comes to mind in these two symphonies.

kyjo

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on June 01, 2023, 09:05:35 PMAmong the tens of CDs devoted to this Hyperion series, this has to be one of the most remarkable, chiefly for Alexander Dreyschock's substantial Piano Concerto in D minor. I'd say it doesn't lack anything to be considered a masterpiece.

Interesting, Cesar! I, for one, am simply itching for Hyperion's catalogue to appear on Spotify... ;D
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

kyjo

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on June 02, 2023, 03:00:23 PMI'll join the Elgar celebration:
Edward Elgar
Falstaff

Mark Elder & Hallé Orchestra

What do you think of Falstaff, Ilaria? I haven't quite made up my mind about it - it has some great moments, but overall lacks enough variety of character and mood to sustain its duration. I feel that there's too much gruff, semi-humorous music in the work and not enough lyricism, but perhaps that befits the subject matter. I seem to recall that Cesar mentioned a while back that it's his favorite orchestral work of Elgar's, but for me the two symphonies, Enigma Variations, In the South, and VC are very much ahead of it in preference.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: classicalgeek on June 03, 2023, 07:52:31 PMSounds like I need to explore Ghedini! He sounds like someone right up my proverbial alley.

I think you'll dig his music, James. Lately I've been listening to his orchestral works and the experience has been rewarding thus far.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: kyjo on June 03, 2023, 08:34:14 PMInteresting, Cesar! I, for one, am simply itching for Hyperion's catalogue to appear on Spotify... ;D

I wish Lyrita and Dutton's complete catalogues would be available too!

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: kyjo on June 03, 2023, 08:40:57 PMWhat do you think of Falstaff, Ilaria? I haven't quite made up my mind about it - it has some great moments, but overall lacks enough variety of character and mood to sustain its duration. I feel that there's too much gruff, semi-humorous music in the work and not enough lyricism, but perhaps that befits the subject matter. I seem to recall that Cesar mentioned a while back that it's his favorite orchestral work of Elgar's, but for me the two symphonies, Enigma Variations, In the South, and VC are very much ahead of it in preference.

Well, I do consider Falstaff a great work that follows Strauss's footsteps, but it's not my favorite Elgar work. That could be the 2nd Symphony.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Khachaturian: Symphony No. 3 'Symphony-Poem'

I must say I wasn't impressed by this work and performance.

Rautavaara: Symphony No. 7 'Angel of Light' (Segerstam, Helsinki P.O.)

Ah, this is much better. A stupendous post-Sibelian symphony.

Noam Chomsky

Artem

Papy Oli

Good morning all,

Telemann - String Concertos " Sinfonia Spirituosa"
Musica Antiqua Köln

Olivier