What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ritter and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: Karl Henning on June 05, 2023, 12:27:21 PMExquisite!
Agreed, I've been positively impressed by Ashkenazy's Verklärte Nacht, it's certainly an intense, passionately fiery recording. I don't think he recorded other Schönberg's works, but it would have been very interesting to listen to Pelleas und Melisande or the Piano Concerto performed by him.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Roasted Swan

Quote from: VonStupp on June 05, 2023, 10:30:57 AMPI Tchaikovsky
Symphony 5 in e minor, op. 64
Francesca da Rimini, Fantasy-Overture, op. 32
USSR Radio SO - Vladimir Fedoseyev (Sym)
Vyacheslav Ovchinnikov (Rimini)

When I buy CD's used from Amazon, Discogs, or EBay, there is the occasional perk of receiving bonus recordings from sellers. I assume these are products that are tough to push, such as club recordings. This is one of those, with no barcode or dates.

I love that fat clarinet sound from the USSR ensemble in the 5th Symphony that works particularly well in the opening and finale. The only letdown are the solos in mvt. 2 which could use refinement. The sonics are remarkable from what I was expecting.

The intensity meter is set to very high in Ovchinnikov's Francesca. The sound is wiry and strident, but boy is it exciting! Also, I love Tchaikovsky sitting in front of what I assume are birch trees on the cover.
VS

That exact disc was released in the UK on Olympia

The Francesca da Rimini is possibly my favourite version ever - it just blazes.  Next to that Fedoseyev's Symphonies are pretty bland (excepting the old Soviet sound which I love).  generally I find Fedoseyev to be a bit dull.

vers la flamme

Luciano Berio: Sinfonia. Péter Eötvös, Gothenburg Symphony Orchestra, London Voices

This recording is soooooo goooood. As for the music itself, it's definitely one of the greatest symphonies of the 20th century, in my book. I have always found it incredibly moving; indeed, it has brought me to tears in the past, and I find it so emotionally affecting that I can't listen to it but every once in a while.

VonStupp

Quote from: Roasted Swan on June 05, 2023, 02:16:06 PMThat exact disc was released in the UK on Olympia

The Francesca da Rimini is possibly my favourite version ever - it just blazes.  Next to that Fedoseyev's Symphonies are pretty bland (excepting the old Soviet sound which I love).  generally I find Fedoseyev to be a bit dull.

They are performances I wouldn't have heard otherwise, so I am glad to have found Francesca at the least. I agree the Soviet quality is the main allure in the symphony, but it fails the work in other places where loudness isn't the key.
VS
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

San Antone

Stravinsky : The Soldier's Tale
Robert Craft, Columbia Syhpnoy Winds, Jeremy Irons

This among my favorite recordings of one of my favorite works.  Mainly because it is in English, and I can follow the story.  But the playing is excellent, IMO.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Alfredo Casella: La Giara. Marco Balderi & Orchestra I.C.O. Lecce.

brewski

Berio: Sinfonia - Trying to answer a query from @vers la flamme, I found this 2016 recording with Eduardo Leandro (an excellent conductor, well known in NYC new music circles), with the superb vocalists Roomful of Teeth, and the Stony Brook Symphony Orchestra. All do an outstanding job, and it's some kind of credit that a university orchestra would even think of programming this piece. (I guess by now, it's a classic.)

-Bruce
"I set down a beautiful chord on paper—and suddenly it rusts."
—Alfred Schnittke (1934-1998)

brewski

Quote from: vers la flamme on June 05, 2023, 02:31:40 PM

Luciano Berio: Sinfonia. Péter Eötvös, Gothenburg Symphony Orchestra, London Voices

This recording is soooooo goooood. As for the music itself, it's definitely one of the greatest symphonies of the 20th century, in my book. I have always found it incredibly moving; indeed, it has brought me to tears in the past, and I find it so emotionally affecting that I can't listen to it but every once in a while.

I agree, a marvelous recording (which I haven't heard in awhile, since it came out) and I also affirm "one of the greatest symphonies of the 20th century." Love that it affects you so deeply.

-Bruce
"I set down a beautiful chord on paper—and suddenly it rusts."
—Alfred Schnittke (1934-1998)

Cato

Quote from: VonStupp on June 05, 2023, 10:30:57 AMFrancesca da Rimini, Fantasy-Overture, op. 32
USSR Radio SO - Vladimir Fedoseyev (Sym)
Vyacheslav Ovchinnikov (Rimini)

The intensity meter is set to very high in Ovchinnikov's Francesca. The sound is wiry and strident, but boy is it exciting! Also, I love Tchaikovsky sitting in front of what I assume are birch trees on the cover.
VS

Remember that Vyacheslav Ovchinnikov was also a marvelous composer!

e.g.

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: classicalgeek on June 05, 2023, 01:13:40 PMh/t to Cesar!

Giorgio Ghedini
Appunti per un Credo
Musica notturne
Studi per un affresco di battaglia
Orchestra della Toscana
Daniele Rustioni

(on Spotify)

This was one of only a few Ghedini orchestral music recordings that I could find on Spotify - figured I'd give it a try. The music is quite compelling - angular and craggy, but still tonal. I'd like to hear it in a better performance - the regional Italian orchestra tries their best, but their playing is just subpar, especially in the strings.

Curious, personally I didn't find the performances lacking important accomplishment. The performances on the Naxos CD I posted the other day are definitely better.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Lajtha: String Trio No. 2

This was the Trio that hadn't been recorded before, and what an impressive piece it is. The 2nd and 4th movements were specially outstanding. The playing is fully committed too.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mapman

Maiden-Listen Monday!
Martucci: Symphony #2
d'Avalos: Philharmonia

This symphony has a lot of originality, but is not particularly melodically memorable. The scherzo is especially unusual. I'd need to get to know this symphony better to make more of a conclusion about it: I suspect that the motivic development is quite interesting, but hard to follow on a first listen. The recording quality isn't the best, and it's hard to pick out individual lines. I think the woodwinds get a bit buried.

Symphonic Addict

CD 1 (out of 2) with String Quartets in A minor and D minor. Where had these quartets been all my life? I had never paid attention to this composer before and glad I finally did, this is wonderful music. The SQ in A minor is so melodic, a superb creation. These works reminded me of Cherubini's quartets. So much magnificent music waiting for being discovered!

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

Quote from: vers la flamme on June 05, 2023, 01:30:13 PM

Allan Pettersson: Symphony No.9. Sergiu Comissiona, Göteborgs Symfoniker

First listen. So far so good. I've heard this work is the place where a lot of people get off the Pettersson train. I'll see how far I make it. This recording is substantially longer than any other of the 9th: 85 minutes long vs the 70 of the Lindberg BIS recording. I wonder how this is possible, as it doesn't sound particularly slow. But then I haven't heard any of the others.
I haven't got me head round No.9 yet but I love the Klassic Haus cover!

TD
Bax: Symphony No.1
This is my favourite CD in the Lyrita British symphonies boxed set, featuring the Bax and Rubbra's 4th Symphony as well as Rawsthorne's 'Symphonic Studies' (arguably his greatest work):
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Cato on June 05, 2023, 05:13:02 PMRemember that Vyacheslav Ovchinnikov was also a marvelous composer!

e.g.

A big thumbs up for Ovchinnikov!
I suspect that you and I are his greatest GMG Forum fans!  ;D
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Todd on June 05, 2023, 12:33:43 PMWaxahachie, Texas. 
Quote from: Brian on June 05, 2023, 12:38:10 PMI've actually met the Meat Church guys and tried their BBQ at an event so this was a real head-turner for me.
Lucky you!  I looked at their website; normally, I wouldn't be salivating for barbecue this early in the morning (the sun hasn't yet risen!).

PD

p.s.  At the moment, just enjoying the sounds of the birds having their morning conversations.  Music in a bit.
Pohjolas Daughter

Harry

Joseph Haydn.
Complete Symphonies.
CD 28 & 29.
No 62/63/70/71/73.
Academy of Ancient Music, Christopher Hogwood.

Airco's installed, rubble cleared, just in time for the heat to come.

And listening again after the hiatus of 5 days not listening, which is quite a thing for me. Music is like food for my soul.
Nearly completed the symphonies written by this genius, and it is given me as much pleasure as expected.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Florestan

Quote from: Florestan on June 05, 2023, 06:22:39 AM

I immensely enjoyed this music. @Brian, give it a try if you haven't already.

NP

The next-to-last disc (11).

As with the precedent disc, Markovina softened her approach a bit, making for a much more pleasant experience.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Lisztianwagner

Ludwig van Beethoven
Choral Fantasy

Vladimir Ashkenazy & Cleveland Orchestra

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

vers la flamme

Quote from: vers la flamme on June 04, 2023, 09:30:30 AM

Allan Pettersson: Symphony No.6. Manfred Trojahn, Deutsches Symphonie-Orchester Berlin

One hour long, in a single movement. I've heard it once before but don't remember much about it; let's go.

Once again with this same recording this morning.