What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

I've been playing this all day, I'm really impressed by the quality of the singing - by the quality of everything really.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

vandermolen

Quote from: Harry on June 06, 2023, 05:01:07 AMWilliam Alwyn.
Orchestral Works.
Elizabethan Dances.
The Innumerable Dance-An English Overture.
Concerto for Oboe, Harp and Strings.
Aphrodite in Aulis-An Eclogue for Small Orchestra, after George Moore.
Symphonic Prelude-The Magic Island.
Festival March.
Jonathan Small, Oboe.
Royal Liverpool PO, David Lloyd Jones.

Really good performances and well recorded. If Alwyn is demanded I first go for these performances. 
This is my favourite disc of Alwyn's shorter symphonic works. I was delighted to discover 'Aphrodite in Aulis'.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Edgar Bainton: Symphony No.2
I'd quite forgotten how good this symphony is:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Lisztianwagner

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
Sinfonia Concertante K.364

Karl Böhm & Berliner Philharmoniker

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Florestan

Quote from: vers la flamme on June 06, 2023, 09:57:19 AMThey are tough. I can only listen to them in my worst moods  ;D

This is an interesting topic, which might be worth a dedicated thread. I mean, if I'm în good moods I certainly need no depressive and depressing music to spoil it. And if I'm în bad moods, I certainly need sunny and uplifting music to cheer me up. That leaves Pettersson's music în a limbo AFAIC.  ;D
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Harry

Quote from: vandermolen on June 06, 2023, 12:38:53 PMThis is my favourite disc of Alwyn's shorter symphonic works. I was delighted to discover 'Aphrodite in Aulis'.

Ditto Jeffrey!
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Harry

Quote from: vandermolen on June 06, 2023, 12:40:23 PMEdgar Bainton: Symphony No.2
I'd quite forgotten how good this symphony is:

Again Ditto! :)
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

vers la flamme

Quote from: Florestan on June 06, 2023, 01:19:34 PMThis is an interesting topic, which might be worth a dedicated thread. I mean, if I'm în good moods I certainly need no depressive and depressing music to spoil it. And if I'm în bad moods, I certainly need sunny and uplifting music to cheer me up. That leaves Pettersson's music în a limbo AFAIC.  ;D

For some unknown reason that probably has something to do with the mysteries of temperament, sometimes when I'm depressed, listening to sunny and uplifting music only makes me feel worse. Opening the door for über dark music like Pettersson, which somehow then makes me feel a little bit better. Don't ask me to explain.

Edit to add; I'm by no means a clinical depressive, and indeed have a pretty sunny disposition for the most part, though I do suffer from my fair share of other mental ailments. Please don't try my strategy at home, kids, especially if you've been diagnosed with a major depressive disorder. 

Allan Pettersson: Symphony No.8. Thomas Sanderling, Radio-Symphonie-Orchester Berlin

I'm starting to think this may be the best of them.

Florestan

Quote from: vers la flamme on June 06, 2023, 02:07:08 PMFor some unknown reason that probably has something to do with the mysteries of temperament, sometimes when I'm depressed, listening to sunny and uplifting music only makes me feel worse. Opening the door for über dark music like Pettersson, which somehow then makes me feel a little bit better. Don't ask me to explain

Fair enough. Indeed, I marvel at, and cherish, and relish the infinite diversity of human nature.  8)
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

vers la flamme

Dmitri Shostakovich: Symphony No.14, op.135. Vasily Petrenko, Royal Liverpool Philharmonic, with Gal James (soprano) and Alexander Vinogradov (baritone)

I haven't made much sense of Shostakovich's late symphonies yet, but I think this 14th is starting to click. The Petrenko/RLPO cycle, which I've had for about three years now and return to sporadically, is pretty damn good!

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on June 06, 2023, 12:36:33 PM

I've been playing this all day, I'm really impressed by the quality of the singing - by the quality of everything really.

Yes, It's very impressive. But I don't think Mala Punica is that bad - it's a question of taste.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

JBS

Quote from: Mandryka on June 06, 2023, 12:36:33 PM

Heulgas here as well

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

JBS

Quote from: Florestan on June 06, 2023, 01:19:34 PMThis is an interesting topic, which might be worth a dedicated thread. I mean, if I'm în good moods I certainly need no depressive and depressing music to spoil it. And if I'm în bad moods, I certainly need sunny and uplifting music to cheer me up. That leaves Pettersson's music în a limbo AFAIC.  ;D

I have Haendel's recording of the Violin Concerto and one CD of his symphonies (the most recent one from BIS, whichever ones are on that; I'm too lazy to look it up).  They do little or nothing for me, good or bad. At this point I have just put him on the side.

Todd

The third of six discs.  Muy bueno.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

JBS

Quote from: Florestan on June 06, 2023, 06:48:58 AMWhat features recommend it above other, more famous sets? I ask because I have it on my radar.

Re Nott's Mahler:

I think it's good because of quality control. Each symphony is at the same high level.
There is no single one in which Nott's is the "best", but there are no misses. Most Mahler cycles have at least one dud and a couple of installments that are just okay. Nott avoids that.

Inbal is another cycle that manages to do this as well, btw.

Symphonic Addict

Saint Joan Suite is the most interesting work here and one of the most appealing works of this series.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mapman

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique
Skrowaczewski

Well-played, but not scary enough (especially in the last movement).

Symphonic Addict

String Quartets in D major and E minor. Whilst very good, the SQ in A minor on the CD 1 features the most memorable music.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Karl Henning

Quote from: vers la flamme on June 06, 2023, 03:51:26 PM

Dmitri Shostakovich: Symphony No.14, op.135. Vasily Petrenko, Royal Liverpool Philharmonic, with Gal James (soprano) and Alexander Vinogradov (baritone)

I haven't made much sense of Shostakovich's late symphonies yet, but I think this 14th is starting to click. The Petrenko/RLPO cycle, which I've had for about three years now and return to sporadically, is pretty damn good!
It chanced that the 14th was one of the first 5 Shostakovich symphonies which I got to know well, long ago when I was an undergrad. It grabbed me right away. 
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

JBS