What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madiel, Linz and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Mapman on February 20, 2024, 07:34:42 PMElgar: The Music Makers
Andrew Davis: BBC

I never knew that I needed to hear a choral version of Nimrod, but one appears at the emotional heart of this work! A wonderful, beautiful, piece.

In Music Makers the Nimrod theme is associated with the words "one man's vision" as a direct homage to Jaeger and his faith (vision) in Elgar at a time when he was an unknown West Country composer.  It is a relatively passing reference.  However there is a complete vocal setting of Nimrod (not done by Elgar) to the words "Lux Aeterna" - I must admit I find it quite glorious (others don't!)

foxandpeng

Aaron Jay Kernis
Symphony 2
Marin Alsop
Peabody SO
Naxos

Driven, tumultuous, powerful music from a great composer, I think. Very little respite from the elemental atmosphere of this work, except for the second movement. The number of different recordings of this work certainly attest to its potential longevity....

Nice.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

DavidW

Bach chorale preludes (all sorts of bwv #s) cd 11 of the box set Koopman

Spotted Horses

Continuing with a few more works from this series of Harsanyi Piano music, performed by Giorgio Koukl. 4 Morceaux, Piano Suite. Lee touirbillion mecanique.

Generally hypnotic music, beautifully performed and recorded.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Spotted Horses

Quote from: classicalgeek on February 20, 2024, 12:27:59 PM

Really impressed by Tournemire's symphony - it's tuneful (including a gorgeous melody in the strings in the third movement), colorfully orchestrated, and really tight structurally. I'd really like to see a better orchestra (and in better sound) record a Tournemire symphony cycle, but I know it's extremely unlikely...  :(

Gave the first movement of the 8th symphony a try. No complaints with the quality of the orchestra or the audio. (I like the Malipiero cycle from the same performers.) The music didn't grab me at first exposure. I will try to listen to the rest when I have time.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on February 21, 2024, 02:20:43 AMHi Manabu - yes, I like Leaper, with the Orchestra of Grand Canary if I remember correctly. I have the Horenstein but haven't played it for a long time.

Reading through your list of favourites Jeffrey, which correspond with mine (although I don't have 20 recordings, sadly) it struck me they are all British conductors. Which is surprising as unarguably Walton's 1st deserves to feature in a list of great 20c symphonies and far from being parochial. I note Haitink and Ashkenazy have made recordings and wasn't aware of Horenstein. But love to hear what, amongst many others, including Monteux, Martinon and most of all Bernstein would make of it.   
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

DavidW

Mozart KV 452 wind quintet

Lully Te Deum FOOLED AGAIN!  It was an only an excerpt.  I instantly love it, so I'll track down an older, complete recording.

Lisztianwagner

Allan Pettersson
Symphony No.7

Christian Lindberg & Norrköping Symphony Orchestra

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Linz

Tchaikovsky Nutcracker Suite, Philharmonic-Symphony Orchestra of New York, Artur Rodzinski

foxandpeng

Aaron Jay Kernis
Symphony in Waves
Carlos Kalmar
Grant Park Orchestra
Cedille Records

Different in character and emotion to #2, this is a different kind of good. The turbulence isn't absent but there is far less drama; yet the decrease in fraught nerve endings isn't a bad thing. I guess the waves and ebb and flow of the piece cast it in a less emotive tone.

Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree. Maybe those quieter passages increase the drama?
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

ritter

It's been ages since I last listened to Elliott Carter's music...

Michael Gielen conducts the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra in the Variations for Orchestra.

Superb! Simply superb!

ritter

And now on to Luigi Cherubini. Riccardo Muti conducts the Mass for the Coronation of Charles X (Philharmonia Orchestra and Chorus).

Included in CD6 of this set:

Linz

Mozart Complete Piano Variations, Walter Chodack

Mapman

Brahms: Rhapsodies, Op. 79
Julius Katchen

The 1st Rhapsody is great! I'm continuing to enjoy exploring Brahms' piano music through Katchen's recordings.

VonStupp

Dmitri Shostakovich
Native Leningrad Suite, from Motherland, op. 63
Russian River Suite, op. 66

Chamber Choir of Smolny Cathedral
St. Petersburg State Academic Symphony Orchestra
Alexander Titov

Well, I never expected to see 'Soviet Secret Police' and 'Song and Dance Troupe' combined, but here is the music they commissioned from Shostakovich.
VS

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

SonicMan46

Schubert, Franz - Piano Trios - The Atlantis Trio (Penelope Crawford on fortepiano) vs. Golub-Kaplan-Carr Trio - I've culled these works for years but these are the two remaining in my collection - Dave :)

SimonNZ

Bachtoven

Stunning playing with very good sound.

JBS

Bach by Fritz Reiner from 1949: the six Brandenburg Concertos

The chamber orchestra is credited as the Columbia String Ensemble and soloists.
From

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk