What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

Quote from: Harry on February 29, 2024, 03:05:53 AMWell actually there are! But with a different ensemble, but quite as good. Look for Ensemble Peregrina, you will find at least 10+ recordings. I sampled them, and it made me smile of pleasure.

The one which left a big impression on me is the Wizlav von Rügen on Tacet, part of their Mare Balticum series. I just noticed one released in December called Vox Dilecti Mei, which I'll listen to later today hopefully.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Harry

Quote from: premont on February 29, 2024, 04:10:54 AMWhich ensemble - if I may ask?

A different ensemble "Ensemble Peregrino"  but with a soprano from "Ensemble Perlaro", namely Agnieszka Budzinska-Bennett, and she made a bunch of recordings on the label Tacet, which have the same quality in my view.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Harry

Quote from: Mandryka on February 29, 2024, 04:18:07 AMThe one which left a big impression on me is the Wizlav von Rügen on Tacet, part of their Mare Balticum series. I just noticed one released in December called Vox Dilecti Mei, which I'll listen to later today hopefully.

Yep, that's it.

Traverso

Sweelinck his influence his sources Vol. 3

nico1616

Listening to Haydn symphonies 93-95.
A lot of new recordings have appeared since the Dorati set, but it still holds its ground.
The first half of life is spent in longing for the second, the second half in regretting the first.

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on February 29, 2024, 03:14:52 AMOne of the discs in the Chandos Winter Sale.  My finger hovered over the "buy" but I went for the Terterian instead!

I think that was a good choice.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Todd

Wrapping up a first listen of the whole set.  The more famous works sound good, but as with other comprehensive surveys, even with something like Schubert's piano sonatas, the value in this set is to be found in the lesser known works.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

prémont

Quote from: Harry on February 29, 2024, 04:19:53 AMA different ensemble "Ensemble Peregrino"  but with a soprano from "Ensemble Perlaro", namely Agnieszka Budzinska-Bennett, and she made a bunch of recordings on the label Tacet, which have the same quality in my view.

Yes, if you think of Ensemble Peregrina and Ensemble Dragma I agree completely.
Any so-called free choice is only a choice between the available options.

prémont

Quote from: Mandryka on February 29, 2024, 04:18:07 AMI just noticed one released in December called Vox Dilecti Mei, which I'll listen to later today hopefully.

I suppose most of this is monodic.
Any so-called free choice is only a choice between the available options.

Traverso

Bach

Sonaten für Violine

foxandpeng

Quote from: Harry on February 29, 2024, 03:03:25 AMAirat Ichmouratov (b. 1973).
Orchestral Works.
"Youth" Overture, Op. 50 (2016)
"Maslenitsa" Overture, Op. 36 (2012)
Symphony, Op. 55 "On the Ruins of an Ancient Fort" (2015– 17).

Orchestre de la Francophonie, Jean-Philippe Tremblay.
Recording venue, Oscar Peterson Concert Hall, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, 2019.

New one for me. Playlisted!

Thanks Harry :)

I have not seen anyone on GMG having an interest in this music, which is a bit of a mystery to me, for this composer has a distinctive voice. His compositions are not a run of the mill, but rather shows what a talent this man is, in writing accessible music in a context that is very much of this time.
Wit and serious lightness, musical eclecticism at its best. To try is to get wiser. Excellent performance and SOTA sound.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Harry

Avet Rubeni Terterian.
Orchestral Works. (See back cover)
Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra, Kirill Karabits.
Recorded, 2019, The Lighthouse, Poole, Dorset.

Today I was alerted to the existence of this CD, but I found it to be in my library for quite some time now. On the basis of that I am listening now, and must say its an eerie experience in the first movement of the Symphony No.3 Quarter Note = 138-152. Definitely not for the weak hearted, which I am not, so no irritation in that quarter ;D
Will take me some time to get used too, but in the end I will get there, if I brace myself accordingly. And a fair warning to all before you start with this music, he  employs progressive elements such as twelve-tone technique and aleatorics. Just sayin.
SOTA sound.

Mandryka

Quote from: premont on February 29, 2024, 05:24:10 AMI suppose most of this is monodic.

Yes indeedy. So far in that series only the Wizlav von Rügen has really inspired me to listen again.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Harry

Quote from: Mandryka on February 29, 2024, 06:07:57 AMYes indeedy. So far in that series only the Wizlav von Rügen has really inspired me to listen again.

I will go through whole series on Tacet, and some loose threads on other labels. Looks to me an interesting journey, but the experts in this field of music, on GMG, probably know better what to listen to and what not, as poor uneducated me ;D  ;D

Karl Henning

Quote from: Karl Henning on February 28, 2024, 04:09:30 PMI'm also mighty curious about the Křenek

This does not appear to be that piece:

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

AnotherSpin

Brian

Recommended by a commenter on the Hurwitz YouTube channel (not DH himself) as an example of great bass trombone playing.

SonicMan46

Schubert, Franz - String Quartets w/ the Diogenes Quartet (complete on 7 discs); other recordings in my collection also shown - reviews of the Diogenes performances attached if you like 'one-stop' shopping; plus the others -  ;D   Dave

Cato

While on the road...

Alexander Tcherepnin Piano Concerto #2

And then his father Nicolai Tcherepnin: Le Destin from a ballet based upon E.A. Poe's The Masque of the Red Death:

and another ballet score...

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Harry

Dolcissima et Amorosa.
The Lute, Music of ll Divino Francesco Canova da Milano.
Volume I.
Recorded in 2014, I guess.
See back cover for details of works.
No PDF file with details.

Well, this is absolute delightful. Perfectly played and recorded. A pity that only 2 volumes of three are on Qobuz. Same label, but probably not their while to offer it to streamers globally. Grumpff.