Maestro267

MacMillan: Stabat Mater
The Sixteen/Christophers

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

AnotherSpin

I had the Soviet licensed LP of this recording a long time ago, 40 years back, maybe. It sounded so-so, like everything Soviet. Well, what can I say, it was like it was, too late to complain. But interest in Pollini's reading was repulsed for a long time. Now I'm actually discovering it anew. Fabulous.

Traverso

Que

Disc 5: Die Sieben Letzten Worte unseres Erlösers am Kreuze

PS It's quite amazing what Van Oort does here: he combines appropriate restraint with a very strong and focused musical message.

Que

Quote from: Traverso on March 29, 2024, 07:37:25 AMSweelinck

Looks like a rare recording with a rather special organ.  :)

Traverso

Quote from: Que on March 29, 2024, 08:06:32 AMLooks like a rare recording with a rather special organ.  :)

It is a special edition of LIndenberg Productions to commemorate his death anniversary.(2021)

https://www.lindenbergproductions.nl/cd-s/

vandermolen

Quote from: Linz on March 28, 2024, 02:27:10 PMBruckner Symphony No. 3 in D Minor, 1889 Version (aka 1888/89) Ed. Leopold Nowak,  Wiener Philharmonic Orchestra, Karl Böhm
Oh, I have that fine set as well. I like the mini original covers. No.3 is my first favourite Bruckner symphony.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: steve ridgway on March 28, 2024, 09:31:33 PMPenderecki: St Luke Passion

Our Polish au pair presented the LP (double LP set) to my brother and myself when she returned to Poland. I couldn't make head or tail of it at the time (I was about 14) but appreciate it much more now, although not an easy nut to crack.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Linz

Bach Matthäus-Passion, Bach Collegium Japan, Masaaki Suzuki

SonicMan46

Quote from: Que on March 29, 2024, 08:04:57 AM   

Disc 5: Die Sieben Letzten Worte unseres Erlösers am Kreuze

PS It's quite amazing what Van Oort does here: he combines appropriate restraint with a very strong and focused musical message.

Que - own the Van Oort box but listened to the other KB recordings inserted above in my collection (Brautigam from his Haydn Sonata box) this morning - enjoyed both but Lubimov on a tangent piano is special.  Dave

Iota

Quote from: Que on March 29, 2024, 06:31:58 AMGlad you enjoy it!  :)

Herreweghe is quite unique in achieving that level of precision and unity with larger forces.

Yes a great conductor, one of my favourites, with a very high personal hit rate, though I mainly listen to his Baroque and pre-Baroque stuff.

JBS

Quote from: Iota on March 29, 2024, 10:59:04 AMYes a great conductor, one of my favourites, with a very high personal hit rate, though I mainly listen to his Baroque and pre-Baroque stuff.

My favorite Bruckner 7 is the one he recorded with the Orchestre d Champs Elysee.
But he does seem better known for pre-1800 stuff.

TD

Totally new and unknown to me, so in lieu of comments, here is the Amazon blurb

It would very much seem that the 19th- and 20th-century Czech piano concerto repertoire begins and ends with Dvorák and Martinu. The present recording, however, serves to prove that this is far from being the case. It contains three piano concertos that have been - undeservedly - overlooked. VítezslavaKaprálováwrotethePiano Concerto in D minor, characterised by brilliant instrumentation and an engrossing solo part, at the age of 20 as her graduation work. The premiere, which she herself conducted, met withgreatcritical acclaim. In1937, the young composer moved to Paris to study with Bohuslav Martinu. Just a year later, Kaprálová was lauded at the International Society for Contemporary Music festival in London, which she opened conducting the BBC Orchestra performing her Military Sinfonietta. In 1940, when she was just 25, the gifted artist's life and career were sadly terminated by a serious illness. At that very age, Karel Kovarovic created his one and only piano concerto. A pupil of Zdenek Fibich, he would later on primarily gain recognition as a conductor and serve as director of Prague's National Theatre Opera (1900-1920). Kovarovic'sPiano Concerto in F minor affords the soloists great scope to display their virtuosity. Pavel Borkovec, a pupil of J. B. Foerster and Josef Suk, wrote his Piano Concerto No. 2 after World War II. At the time a mature artist, as a teacher he cultivated a new generation of major Czech composers (Petr Eben, Jan Novák, Vladimír Sommer, etc.). The main protagonist of the present album, the pianist Marek Kozák, who has garnered accolades at a number of competitions (Zurich, Bolzano, Bremen, Prague, and elsewhere), has a penchant for exploring little-known and forgotten landscapes, as attested to by this revelatory recording.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Roasted Swan

Quote from: JBS on March 29, 2024, 11:14:30 AMMy favorite Bruckner 7 is the one he recorded with the Orchestre d Champs Elysee.
But he does seem better known for pre-1800 stuff.

To the bolded - the only Bruckner 7 I ever sold because I disliked it so much!  SOOO lightweight and inconsequential ... but isn't the infinite variety of personal preference a wonderful thing! (genuinely...)

brewski

James Weeks: Primo Libro (Ekmeles). Weeks is the director of the London-based vocal group, Exaudi. A few years ago he and Jeff Gavett, director of Ekmeles, did a compositional swap, each writing a piece for the other's ensemble. Weeks had been studying some early examples of microtonal music, and this was the result.

Needless to say, it is extremely difficult to sing, with microtonal intervals (31 tones to an octave) that must be perfectly tuned. It shows off the virtuosity of Ekmeles beautifully.

-Bruce
"I set down a beautiful chord on paper—and suddenly it rusts."
—Alfred Schnittke (1934-1998)

Todd

Wrapping up the first run-through of the Cleveland Quartet box.  It exceeded expectations.  Literally every disc delights.  Qualitatively, the performances range from basically reference level (Schubert Octet, Mendelssohn Octet, Ives/Barber, Brahms String Sextets) to run of the mill in a world class sort of way. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Mandryka

Quote from: brewski on March 29, 2024, 11:37:01 AMJames Weeks: Primo Libro (Ekmeles). Weeks is the director of the London-based vocal group, Exaudi. A few years ago he and Jeff Gavett, director of Ekmeles, did a compositional swap, each writing a piece for the other's ensemble. Weeks had been studying some early examples of microtonal music, and this was the result.

Needless to say, it is extremely difficult to sing, with microtonal intervals that must be perfectly tuned. It shows off the virtuosity of Ekmeles beautifully.

-Bruce

https://jamesweeks.org/vicentino-and-me-on-primo-libro/

Ha - that's twice recently that Vicentino has come up! Did you see this?

https://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,31960.0.html
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

brewski

Quote from: Mandryka on March 29, 2024, 11:48:40 AMhttps://jamesweeks.org/vicentino-and-me-on-primo-libro/

Ha - that's twice recently that Vicentino has come up! Did you see this?

https://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,31960.0.html

Ha, and no, I did not see that! The topic is not quite two years old, but you would think I might have stumbled across it. In any case, thank you.

-Bruce
"I set down a beautiful chord on paper—and suddenly it rusts."
—Alfred Schnittke (1934-1998)

DavidW

Quote from: vandermolen on March 29, 2024, 09:37:04 AMOur Polish au pair presented the LP (double LP set) to my brother and myself when she returned to Poland. I couldn't make head or tails of it at the time (I was about 14) but appreciate it much more now, although not an easy nut to crack.

That is the only Penderecki piece that I struggled with.