What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iota

Aus tiefer Not schrei ich zu dir, BWV 38

Such an inspired opening chorus amongst other things.

Que

Quote from: SonicMan46 on March 29, 2024, 09:41:10 AMQue - own the Van Oort box but listened to the other KB recordings inserted above in my collection (Brautigam from his Haydn Sonata box) this morning - enjoyed both but Lubimov on a tangent piano is special.  Dave

I'm curious about Lubimov, great pianist! :)

The Brautigam, I know: good but IMO not as special as Van Oort.

SimonNZ

on the radio:

Viotti's VC #22

and damn! I'll be buying this set when I see it!

VonStupp

FJ Haydn
Mass No. 14 in B-flat Major, Hob. XXII:14
  'Harmoniemesse'
Salve Regina in E Major, Hob. XXIIIb:1

Nancy Argenta, soprano
Pamela Helen Stephen, mezzo
Mark Padmore, tenor
Stephen Varcoe, baritone
Collegium Musicum - Richard Hickox

VS

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Todd

Getting' some Glossa goodness.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

brewski

R. Strauss: Salome, final scene (Asmik Grigorian / Fabien Gabel / l'Orchestre Philharmonique de Radio France). I look forward to hearing Grigorian live some day, in the entire opera. And as great as she is, Gabel and the orchestra are equally mesmerizing. Great horns, flute, everybody.

-Bruce
"I set down a beautiful chord on paper—and suddenly it rusts."
—Alfred Schnittke (1934-1998)

Mapman

Parsifal: Karfreitagszauber
Karajan, et al.

brewski

Haydn: String Quartet in E-flat, "The Joke" (Emerson String Quartet). The comic timing in the finale is wonderful.

-Bruce
"I set down a beautiful chord on paper—and suddenly it rusts."
—Alfred Schnittke (1934-1998)

steve ridgway

Penderecki: Utrenja (Part I: The Entombment Of Christ)

Sadly there are no texts in the booklet but I found them on an image of the Ormandy recording.

Spotted Horses

Hindemith, Sonata for unaccompanied Viola, Op 11, No 5, Nobuko Imai

I started my listening to the Hindemith Sonatas with this one, and it didn't resonate. Then I started going through Hindemith's Op 11, and revisiting this work, it definitely resonates as a brilliant piece. It is a four movement form beginning with a succinct but moving fantasia and ending with a passacaglia. Imai is a genius.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Que

AnotherSpin

nico1616

Maybe one of the best in the series. The symphonies 80 & 81 are not that often recorded and surely are great works.

The first half of life is spent in longing for the second, the second half in regretting the first.

Que

Que

Quote from: nico1616 on March 30, 2024, 12:56:40 AMMaybe one of the best in the series. The symphonies 80 & 81 are not that often recorded and surely are great works.

I'm interested in trying the series. :)
After picking Harnoncourt and Weil in Haydn symphonies (and passing over Hogwood), I kind of moved on. Time to explore these new recordings.

AnotherSpin

AnotherSpin

vandermolen

Britten: Violin Concerto (VG performance)
Then on to the Veale VC:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

nico1616

Quote from: Que on March 30, 2024, 01:11:50 AMI'm interested in trying the series. :)
After picking Harnoncourt and Weil in Haydn symphonies (and passing over Hogwood), I kind of moved on. Time to explore these new recordings.

I have most of the volumes and it gets better as they move on. The orchestral sound of the first 4 volumes is a bit too thin for me. Highlights for me are n°53/54/33 (vol.14), n°6/7/8 (vol.10) and n°82/87/24 (vol.11).
Try one of these and if you don't like them, the series will not be for you  ;D
The first half of life is spent in longing for the second, the second half in regretting the first.

Lisztianwagner

Franz Liszt
Via Crucis

Collegium Vocale Gent
Reinbert de Leeuw (piano)

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler