What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Symphonic Addict

Wilhelm Kienzl: Piano Trio in F minor
Wilhelm Jeral: Sérénade Viennoise, for piano trio

On another occasion I had listened to Sylvio Lazzari's Piano Trio from this disc finding it superb. I didn't recall that the other pieces on the disc were still unknown to me. Well, I'm glad to remedy that because the Kienzl (especially) is a thoroughly charming creation, it just oozes lovely melodies and good humor with total finesse. I was completely delighted by that work. The Jeral is a shorter piece, entertaining as well, but not at she same level as the Kienzl and the Lazzari. A stunning disc.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

JBS

John McCabe playing Hindemith: Ludus Tonalis and Suite "1922".

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Mapman

This evening I've been watching the first round of this year's Malko competition for young conductors. It's fascinating to watch such a wide variety of conductors rehearse an orchestra. The pieces for this round are:
1. W. A. Mozart: Symphony No. 35 in D Major Kv. 385 'Haffner' 1. mov. (Bärenreiter)
2. J. Haydn: Symphony No. 49 in f-minor Hob. I:49 1. mov. (Doblinger/ R. Landon)
3. L.v. Beethoven: Symphony No. 4 in Bb-Major 1. mov. (Bärenreiter)

Madiel

Mozart: Missa longa in C major, K.262/246a

There are only 2 volumes so far but this is supposed to become a complete set of Mozart's masses. I'm a total novice to this music, but I'm finding this performance very appealing - nice energy, a good scale sounding neither thin nor overly grand. I'd be interested to know if others have heard this album (or volume 2) and what they thought.

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

classicalgeek

Quote from: Harry on April 11, 2024, 04:53:13 AMGeorge Lloyd (1913-1998).

Disc 3.
Symphony No. 4 'The Arctic' (1945-6).
Albany Symphony Orchestra.  Recorded in Troy Savings Bank Music Hall, Troy, NY  1987. Engineer: Roy Kendle.

Overture to 'John Socman'
BBC Philharmonic.  Recorded by arrangement with the BBC in Studio 7, New Broadcasting House, Manchester 1988.
Engineer Tony Faulkner.

There is not much to say as: FABULOUS!

Quote from: foxandpeng on April 11, 2024, 02:37:01 AMUgh. Stupid technology.

Having said that, the new Lyrita symphony releases have been on lots in our house in recent says, so yes 😁😆

The new re-releases of the Lloyd Symphonies are definitely on my radar - even though I have a couple of the individual discs already. It would be wonderful if Lyrita would re-release the piano concertos and choral works as well!

TD:
Brahms
Symphony no. 4
Gewandhaus Orchestra Leipzig
Herbert Blomstedt

(on CD)

One of the finest Brahms 4s I've heard! Especially the first two movements.

Robert Schumann
*Piano Concerto
Edward MacDowell
#Piano Concerto no. 2
Van Cliburn, piano
Chicago Symphony Orchestra
*Fritz Reiner
#Walter Hendl

(on CD)

Curious to listen to this since when Hurwitz was reviewing the Reiner RCA Box this morning, he kind of dismissed this disc. Well, I happened to really enjoy it - especially the MacDowell, a work I wasn't familiar with. Really good stuff, reminds me of Saint-Saens (whose Piano Concertos I adore!) in spots.

So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

Madiel

Shostakovich: Six Poems of Marina Tsvetayeva (orchestral version), op.143a

Everything you'd expect from a (very) late Shostakovich work.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

steve ridgway

Messiaen: Le Merle Bleu

I've started working through these pieces by looking up the birds and landscapes mentioned in the booklet, trying to imagine the scenes that inspired them.

Que

The recordings by The Sound and The Fury were hit & miss....  But this is IMO by far their best recording.
Unfortunately volume 2 never came, and so we are left with 4 masses recorded out of the 9 masses by Pipelare that survived. Perhaps Beauty Farm could record the remainder?

steve ridgway

AnotherSpin

Quote from: Madiel on April 15, 2024, 01:20:59 PMI reject the claims of total subjectivity just as much as I would reject claims of objectivity.

No, it is not totally subjective. Opinions about art are not random. They do not sit on a bell curve.

Treating any one review as gospel truth is an error. Treating the collective wisdom of reviews as worthless is just the opposite error.

And one that makes me wonder why people are on the forum, frankly. Here we are, constantly sharing mini-reviews, and every now and then someone seems to declare that sharing opinions is utterly valueless, which would make what they are reading AND POSTING an exercise in futility.

I care what other people write about music and performances. That's why I read it.

Your rejection of the claims of total subjectivity is totally subjective.

Florestan

Quote from: Madiel on April 15, 2024, 09:03:20 PMMozart: Missa longa in C major, K.262/246a

There are only 2 volumes so far but this is supposed to become a complete set of Mozart's masses. I'm a total novice to this music, but I'm finding this performance very appealing - nice energy, a good scale sounding neither thin nor overly grand. I'd be interested to know if others have heard this album (or volume 2) and what they thought.

Your inbox is full.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

vandermolen

Quote from: foxandpeng on April 15, 2024, 11:26:43 AMI like Helvi Leiviska's Symphony #1 very much indeed, as with her #2. Very worthwhile, particularly after enough listens to generate familiarity. Thumbs up from me, anyhoo.

TD:

Sir Hubert Parry
Symphony 1
London Philharmonic
Matthias Bamert

Outside of my regular listening arc, but always enjoyable to revisit Parry's symphonies. They are monuments to their time, in some respects, but I do like them and they form part of the rich heritage of music from these fair islands, so why not? Working with no phone to hand, so good old YouTube for the choons.
Good to know that you like the Leiviska as well Danny.  :)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Madiel

Quote from: AnotherSpin on April 15, 2024, 11:22:01 PMYour rejection of the claims of total subjectivity is totally subjective.

Your use of words is arbitrary. And yet somehow you want me to care how you use them.

AnotherSpin

Quote from: Madiel on April 15, 2024, 11:49:43 PMYour use of words is arbitrary. And yet somehow you want me to care how you use them.

Your belief that someone wants something from you is again entirely subjective. I do not and cannot want anything from you.

Madiel

Quote from: AnotherSpin on April 15, 2024, 11:56:57 PMYour belief that someone wants something from you is again entirely subjective. I do not and cannot want anything from you.

Then stop quoting me. Seriously, I mostly ignore you for a reason. The only reason I bothered looking is because you quoted me. I assumed that meant you had something to say to me. But if not, then you are not just wasting my time, but your own.

You can reject absolutely anything by playing the "subjective" card. Including the entire history of philosophy and logic. How convenient.

Madiel

Quote from: Florestan on April 15, 2024, 11:26:46 PMYour inbox is full.

I threw out something you said to me 5 years ago so that you can say something new.  ;D

AnotherSpin

Quote from: Madiel on April 15, 2024, 11:59:28 PMThen stop quoting me. Seriously, I mostly ignore you for a reason. The only reason I bothered looking is because you quoted me. I assumed that meant you had something to say to me. But if not, then you are not just wasting my time, but your own.

You can reject absolutely anything by playing the "subjective" card. Including the entire history of philosophy and logic. How convenient.

I admit I'm wrong. Teasing a cranky child is not nice. I won't do it again, I promise :)

Harry

François Dufaut.
Pieces de Luth and Manuscrits.
Hopkinson Smith plays on a Pietro Railich Lute, Venise, 1644.
See back cover for more details.

Another pearl in the crown of Smith, a master Lute player of yore, and one of the best that graced our earth. Recording and performance are without blemish.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Madiel

I said stop quoting me. Not reading it.

Florestan

Quote from: Madiel on April 16, 2024, 12:00:37 AMI threw out something you said to me 5 years ago so that you can say something new.  ;D

Great!  :D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy