What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pianoforever and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.

AnotherSpin

Madiel

Prokofiev: Chout (suite only)

It's always just a touch disappointing when this box has extracts rather than a complete version (and this comes just after a full 2.5-hour rendition of Tchaikovsky's Sleeping Beauty, but I guess the suite version is far more common and still presents a decent amount of music.

The recording has plenty of colour (Abbado and the London Symphony Orchestra from 1966, so fairly early in Abbado's career).
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

AnotherSpin

Madiel

Stravinsky

Renard (sung in French here)

What an odd little work.

And then, Mavra (an opera also premiered by the Ballets Russes)

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

AnotherSpin

Harry

Valborg Aulin, Ida Moberg, Elfrida Andreè.
Orchestral Works.
Gothenburg SO, Johannes Gustavsson.
Recorded in 2021. NO PDF file.
Not an easy task to get this rather obscure CD.

Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Que

Suites de Pieces pour le Clavecin (1733)

Pohjolas Daughter

Listened to two wonderful works this morning.  Firstly, a wind arrangement (rather than probably the more familiar orchestral arrangement) of Copland's "Quiet City" with the amazing Wynton Marsalis and the Eastman Wind Ensemble.

Next a work by the contemporary composer Kenneth Fuchs--a work called "Christina's World" which was inspired by the painting of the same name by Andrew Wyeth.  My favorite work of his so far which I've heard....really enjoyed it.  :) The recording was with the U.S. Coastguard (quite impressed with their playing).

If interested, you can listen to the works here: 

And here: 
Pohjolas Daughter

mahler10th

I tuned in to Karl Hennings music to be played live in Kings Chapel in Boston, but discovered I'm 2 hours early, so I'll get to that at 17:15GMT.  Meanwhile, a bit of British jingo with William Walton - Spitfire Prelude and Fuge.  Aye, I'm just climbing into my Spitfire now...

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: mahler10th on April 16, 2024, 06:15:56 AM
I tuned in to Karl Hennings music to be played live in Kings Chapel in Boston, but discovered I'm 2 hours early, so I'll get to that at 17:15GMT.  Meanwhile, a bit of British jingo with William Walton - Spitfire Prelude and Fuge.  Aye, I'm just climbing into my Spitfire now...

;D

Don't believe that I've heard that Walton work before, but will check it out.  Thanks for the reminder re Karl's concert too.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Harry

ROSENBERG, Hilding (1892–1985)

Symphony No. 6 (1951) 'Sinfonia semplice'.
Symphony No. 3 (1939).

Gothenburg Symphony Orchestra, Mario Venzago.
Recorded: (Symphony No. 6) 2005, (Symphony No. 3) at the Gothenburg Concert Hall, Sweden.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

AnotherSpin

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

vandermolen

Quote from: mahler10th on April 16, 2024, 06:15:56 AM

It's a fine discs. We regularly get Spitfires flying over our garden. I think that people pay £1000+ for a short ride (in a fast machine  ;D ) down to the coast and back.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Harry on April 16, 2024, 06:48:16 AMROSENBERG, Hilding (1892–1985)

Symphony No. 6 (1951) 'Sinfonia semplice'.
Symphony No. 3 (1939).

Gothenburg Symphony Orchestra, Mario Venzago.
Recorded: (Symphony No. 6) 2005, (Symphony No. 3) at the Gothenburg Concert Hall, Sweden.

One of my favourite BIS CDs. I wish they had recorded a complete cycle of HR's symphonies.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Bax: Piano Quintet - A GMG Forum recommendation of years ago. It's a great epic work like Bloch's SQ No.1:

Spotted Horses

Haydn Piano Sonata No 45 (Hob XVI:30, next up in my ChatGPT generated random Haydn sonata playlist) Brautigam.

More straightforward than Pienaar, less interesting.

There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Spotted Horses

Braunfels, Don Juan,

It wasn't until the introduction was over and the theme was presented that I realized that this is a set of variations on a theme from Mozart's Opera. There were some brilliant moments, but the "enclose classical melody in romantic cloud" genre is not my favorite. I don't think I will listen to it again.

Braunfels' string quartets are utterly brilliant and I haven't come across any of his orchestral music which strikes me as strongly.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Spotted Horses

Quote from: vandermolen on April 16, 2024, 07:56:32 AMIt's a fine discs. We regularly get Spitfires flying over our garden. I think that people pay £1000+ for a short ride (in a fast machine  ;D ) down to the coast and back.

I'm not sure how that would work. The Spitfire was a single-seat aircraft. You pay £1000+ and you fly it yourself? Do you regular see them fly toward the coast and not come back? :)