What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Symphonic Addict

Kodály: Psalmus Hungaricus (Lajos Kozma, tenor; London Symphony Orchestra, Wandsworth School Boys' Choir, Brighton Festival Chorus, Istvan Kertesz)

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Madiel

Mozart: Divertimento no.10 ("Lodron no.1")

A different recording from the 'usual' Vegh series, and a live recording. It's not hard to hear why Vegh is considered one of the best guides to this repertoire. Everything feels perfectly poised.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

AnotherSpin

Quote from: Linz on April 16, 2024, 11:58:09 AMSmetana Má vlast Karel Ancerl

August 1969 was to mark the first anniversary of the Russian invasion of Czechoslovakia, hence the national colors.

steve ridgway

Messiaen: Le Traquet Stapazin

vandermolen

Quote from: prémont on April 16, 2024, 11:35:46 AMHard to tell because you can't see the relief of the wings. It could be a variant of the so-called Defiant.
Yes, I agree
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Spotted Horses on April 16, 2024, 09:28:00 AMThat is grotesque! It would work better in one of the WWII era planes that is most interesting to me, the Douglas Dauntless.

OT
Here's another image:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Que

The other disc of this set:

AnotherSpin

vandermolen

Back on topic
Vaughan Williams
Job (1954 recording)
LPO, Boult (Pristine/Decca)
Boult, the dedicatee, recorded this 4 times - I saw him conduct it on VW's 100th birthday in 1972.
First time I heard it - I then had to dash out and purchase the (2nd EMI recording) LP  ::) 

Que

Quote from: AnotherSpin on April 16, 2024, 10:09:55 PMNice girl on a cover.

In a sweatshirt... At least she is not bare chested... 8)

The covers for TSOTF are as clueless and unrelated to Renaissance music as the ones for Beauty Farm, I suspect the same origin.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Spotted Horses on April 16, 2024, 09:28:00 AMThat is grotesque! It would work better in one of the WWII era planes that is most interesting to me, the Douglas Dauntless.

"Supermarine's designers did come up with the idea for a two-seater training variant of the aircraft, but only one was actually built. After the Second World War, Supermarine revived the idea after learning of several 'unofficial' conversions, and a few Mark IX Spitfires were transformed into two-seaters known as TR9s."

AnotherSpin

Quote from: Que on April 16, 2024, 10:24:37 PMIn a sweatshirt... At least she is not bare chested... 8)

The covers for TSOTF are as clueless and unrelated to Renaissance music as the ones for Beauty Farm, I suspect the same origin.

How could beauty be unrelated? :)

Harry

Quote from: AnotherSpin on April 16, 2024, 10:09:55 PMNice girl on a cover.

Are you sure, it's most likely a man, knowing the history and background of this label...... ;D  ;D  ;D
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Harry

Quote from: Que on April 16, 2024, 10:24:37 PMIn a sweatshirt... At least she/he is not bare chested... 8)

Just sayin, ;D  and yes from the same origin.

Harry

Quote from: AnotherSpin on April 16, 2024, 10:44:20 PMHow could beauty be unrelated? :)

That depends on your definition of Beauty (Farm) ;D

Harry

VENEZIA.
Rosenmüller, Legrenzi, Stradella.

Sonata nona (2 violini, 2 violette & viola da brazzo) Johann Rosenmüller
Sonata terza à 3 (2 violini & viola da brazzo) Giovanni Legrenzi
Sinfonia XVIII (2 violini & basso) Alessandro Stradella
Sonata decima (2 violini, 2 violette & viola da brazzo) Johann Rosenmüller
Sonata terza à 4 (2 violini, alto & viola da brazzo) Giovanni Legrenzi
Sonata settima (2 violini, violetta & viola da brazzo) Johann Rosenmüller
Sinfonia XI (violino & basso)Alessandro Stradella
Sonata seconda (2 violini) Johann Rosenmüller
Sonata prima (4 violini) Giovanni Legrenzi
Sonata undecima (2 violini, 2 violette & viola da brazzo) Johann Rosenmüller
Sinfonia XXII (violino, violoncello & basso) Alessandro Stradella
Sonata sesta à 4 (viole da gamba o come piace) Giovanni Legrenzi
Sonata duodecima (2 violini, 2 violette & viola da brazzo) Johann Rosenmüller

Manfredo Kraemer violon et direction, Guadalupe del Moral violon, José Manuel Navarro violon, alto,  Andoni Mercero violon, alto,  Marco Ceccato violoncelle, Xavier Diaz archiluth, Luca Guglielmi clavecin, orgue.
Recorded 2010 at the Church of Saint Andre (74 Doucy) France.

In all aspects a wonderful recording and sublimely recorded. Interesting program too. I always like the recordings of the Rare Fruits council!

Florestan

Quote from: Que on April 16, 2024, 10:24:37 PMAt least she is not bare chested... 8)

She is flat chested instead...  ;D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Que

A hidden gem!!  :D 

At least to me - this 2CD set was issued in 2012, but I totally missed it...

Harry

Quote from: Que on April 17, 2024, 01:08:15 AM

A hidden gem!!  :D 

At least to me - this 2CD set was issued in 2012, but I totally missed it...

Agreed, also for me!

Harry

Lord Gallaway's Delight - An Excellent Collection of Dances and Gaelic Laments.
Siobhan Armstrong (Irish Harp), & Les Witches.
Recorded: 2012 at the La Courroie, (Entraigues sur la Sorgue)
See for more details back cover.

A thoroughly delightful disc, just for a change. In general  I like this fusion of Styles, Renaissance, Baroque, Celtic, Folk, especially if it is so well done, and recorded.