What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry

I am looking for this CD on Qobuz, through Roon, but I could find it...anyone? Tried it on name, composers and of course on Sigrun Richter, but to no avail. Maybe it not yet released on Qobuz? I thought someone mentioned it on GMG.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

ultralinear

Quote from: Roasted Swan on April 16, 2024, 10:37:25 PM"Supermarine's designers did come up with the idea for a two-seater training variant of the aircraft, but only one was actually built. After the Second World War, Supermarine revived the idea after learning of several 'unofficial' conversions, and a few Mark IX Spitfires were transformed into two-seaters known as TR9s."
This one comes over here quite a lot, from Biggin Hill:

They have 3 Spitfires - two T.9s and a trainer - all original 2-seat models.  They also have a P-51D Mustang. :)

Mandryka

Quote from: Harry on April 17, 2024, 01:50:09 AMI am looking for this CD on Qobuz, through Roon, but I could find it...anyone? Tried it on name, composers and of course on Sigrun Richter, but to no avail. Maybe it not yet released on Qobuz? I thought someone mentioned it on GMG.

It's a new release. I have it ordered in fact, but it has not arrived yet. Very little of Sigrun Richter is streaming.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Harry

Quote from: Mandryka on April 17, 2024, 02:39:43 AMIt's a new release. I have it ordered in fact, but it has not arrived yet. Very little of Sigrun Richter is streaming.

Yikes, so it was not me being dumb, that's a relief I'd say! ;D
And yes you are right, precious little is on the streaming sites by Sigrun Richter, which is incomprehensible to me, for she is a fine lute player. Thanks for the effort Howard!

Mookalafalas

Stumbled upon this. Impressed.
It's all good...

Madiel

Stravinsky, Les Noces

Stravinsky having a lot of fun with pianos (and on this recording, the pianists include Martha Argerich and Nelson Freire).

I suppose it's inevitable that a box like this won't have texts, but I wish it did, even in these works where arguably the text isn't really a key point. I'm fairly sure this version is in French, though, and I've seen a suggestion that Stravinsky wasn't thrilled with anything other than Russian because the rhythms are so tied to the words.

Nevertheless, plenty of energy and colour, and I'm glad this box has expanded my Stravinsky collection so much.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

pjme

Harry

Quote from: Mookalafalas on April 17, 2024, 03:40:22 AMStumbled upon this. Impressed.

Yes, that is a very fine performance!

Mandryka

Quote from: Harry on April 17, 2024, 02:55:31 AMYikes, so it was not me being dumb, that's a relief I'd say! ;D
And yes you are right, precious little is on the streaming sites by Sigrun Richter, which is incomprehensible to me, for she is a fine lute player. Thanks for the effort Howard!

I listened to some of Louis Pernot's Dufaut last night too. It's a surprise because of the "clean" tone of the instrument, very little resonance -  the clear dancing rhythm. He's got a lot to say, quite interesting I think, about his work on bass lute strings - that's what makes the instrument sound so surprising. But maybe it's in some sense right, revealing.

http://www.louispernot.com/Research.html
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mookalafalas

Another big find (for me, that is). A bit overdramatic at times, perhaps, but fun and exciting. Noseda really knows how to keep the orchestra in line--sharp, tight, and crackling.
It's all good...

Harry

Quote from: Mandryka on April 17, 2024, 04:41:34 AMI listened to some of Louis Pernot's Dufaut last night too. It's a surprise because of the "clean" tone of the instrument, very little resonance -  the clear dancing rhythm. He's got a lot to say, quite interesting I think, about his work on bass lute strings - that's what makes the instrument sound so surprising. But maybe it's in some sense right, revealing.

http://www.louispernot.com/Research.html

Will listen to it, thanks. Selected 2 recordings, Gaultier and Dufaut.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mookalafalas on April 17, 2024, 04:44:04 AMAnother big find (for me, that is). A bit overdramatic at times, perhaps, but fun and exciting. Noseda really knows how to keep the orchestra in line--sharp, tight, and crackling.

My favourite version.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Harry on April 17, 2024, 01:24:38 AMLord Gallaway's Delight - An Excellent Collection of Dances and Gaelic Laments.
Siobhan Armstrong (Irish Harp), & Les Witches.
Recorded: 2012 at the La Courroie, (Entraigues sur la Sorgue)
See for more details back cover.

A thoroughly delightful disc, just for a change. In general  I like this fusion of Styles, Renaissance, Baroque, Celtic, Folk, especially if it is so well done, and recorded.
Great cover image.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Papy Oli

Good afternoon all.

Starting a first foray in this set:

Byrd - Keyboard Music - Davitt Moroney
Olivier

Madiel

Shostakovich: Suite on Verses of Michelangelo Buonarroti (orchestral version), op.145a

Shostakovich's last orchestral work, which he considered labelling his 16th symphony.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

AnotherSpin

Quote from: Harry on April 16, 2024, 10:47:33 PMAre you sure, it's most likely a man, knowing the history and background of this label...... ;D  ;D  ;D

One can catch some similarities to Hunter Schafer, but I think it's a girl. At least I see a girl.

Harry

George Enescu (1881 – 1955).
Eugène Ysaÿe (1858– 1931).
Grażyna Bacewicz (1909– 1969).
See for details back cover.
New release.

Sinfonia of London, John Wilson.
Recording venue: Church of St Augustine, Kilburn, London; 21 November (Concerto), 27 November
(Harmonies du soir), & 10 and 11 December (Octet) 2022.

Superb! But I am a fan of Wilson as a conductor, so it fits perfectly, and it has absolute SOTA sound, it's getting better and better with Chandos, like I was stunned into admiration with the Nielsen disc that was recently released, that was SOTA sound +++

Brian

Quote from: Mookalafalas on April 17, 2024, 04:44:04 AMAnother big find (for me, that is). A bit overdramatic at times, perhaps, but fun and exciting. Noseda really knows how to keep the orchestra in line--sharp, tight, and crackling.

I'm actually going to see this symphony live next month! Conductor Daniele Rustioni is bringing it to Dallas for what must surely be the Texas premiere. I have only heard it one time (on streaming, when the symphony announced its concert programs, to see if I wanted to go).

The Concerto for Orchestra is my favorite piece in that series, a 28-minute taut bundle of excitement. The rival version on Naxos is slower and with a worse orchestra.

Harry

Anton Arensky 1861-1906
Piano Trios.
Piano Trio No.1 Op.32 in D minor.
Piano Trio No.2 Op.73 in F minor.

Trio Carducci.
Germana Porcu Violin · Matilda Colliard Cello · Sara Costa Piano.
Recording: 9-10 December 2017 (No.1) and 12-13 January 2018 (No.2), Classica Viva
Recording Studio, Dorno (PV), Italy.

These works by Arensky are not often played or recorded, but to be frank, the music is of a high calibre. This young ensemble make a good case for both works, equal to other recordings around, like for instance the Borodin Trio on Chandos, better recorded yes, Brilliant in that respect walks two steps behind, but the enthusiasm by the Trio Carducci make more than up to it. Well focused and detailed, warmth and expression that shows the complete bandwide of this ensemble.

Spotted Horses

Braunfels, Serenade, and Sinfonia Brevis.

I found the Serenade too mild for my taste, but the Sinfonia Brevis had a more appealing level of dissonance and musical drama.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington