What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

Quote from: Harry on April 17, 2024, 02:55:31 AMYikes, so it was not me being dumb, that's a relief I'd say! ;D
And yes you are right, precious little is on the streaming sites by Sigrun Richter, which is incomprehensible to me, for she is a fine lute player. Thanks for the effort Howard!

I like Sigrun Richter in French music a lot. Her Reusner has never caught my attention in a positive way. I'm looking forward to seeing what she makes of the Italian composers on that CD. 

Just got a new pair of old speakers - original passive AE1s - they suit Sigrun Richter's Pierre Gaultier very well!

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Brian

Maybe next week I will make a playlist of only other things people on GMG are listening to and enjoying. I keep getting envy seeing all of your adventures  ;D

Linz

Bruckner Symphony No. 7 in E Major and No. 9 in D Minor, Carl Schuricht, Berliner Philharmoniker, Städtische Oper Orchester, Berlin

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: foxandpeng on April 16, 2024, 03:22:30 PMMy own traversal of Henze's symphonies last year was a huge pleasure. Hope you enjoy as much as I did!
Thank you! I've been actually enjoying Henze's symphonies very much so far, his music is much more intriguing than I thought.

Speaking of Henze:

Hans Werner Henze
Symphony No.3

Marek Janowski & Rundfunk-Sinfonieorchester Berlin

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on April 17, 2024, 10:50:34 AMThank you! I've been actually enjoying Henze's symphonies very much so far, his music is much more intriguing than I thought.

Speaking of Henze:

Hans Werner Henze
Symphony No.3

Marek Janowski & Rundfunk-Sinfonieorchester Berlin

Have you listened to Henze's own recordings of his symphonies? I find them more incisive, although the audio in the Wergo recordings gives the Janowski recordings an advantage.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Symphonic Addict

On this disc I was taken by the Prelude and Fugue for orchestra, op. 36 the most, it is a muscular, rigurous, impressive work.

Rawsthorne: Clarinet Quartet

Some pieces by him are too serious for my taste, but this formidable Quartet for clarinet and string trio did leave a good impression on me.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

foxandpeng

Alexander Shchetynsky
New Sacred Music from Ukraine
Cantus Chamber Choir
Gloria Chamber Choir
Leopolis Chamber Orchestra
Emil Sokach
Roman Rewakowicz
Naxos

Sacred Music while working. Becoming a habit.

This is pretty good. If you like this kind of thing.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Jo498

Haydn: Symphonies 4,10,18 L'estro armonico, Derek Solomons

Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Linz

Antonio Salieri Concerto for fortepiano in C Major, Concerto for fortepiano B flat Major
Josef Anton Steffan  Concerto for fortepiano B flat Major, Andreas Staier, Concerto Koln

Que

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: Spotted Horses on April 17, 2024, 11:36:48 AMHave you listened to Henze's own recordings of his symphonies? I find them more incisive, although the audio in the Wergo recordings gives the Janowski recordings an advantage.
I haven't, this is the first time I listen to Henze's symphonies. Thank you for the suggestion anyway, I'll try to look for Henze's own recordings too, listening to the composer interpreting his own works is an excellent way to catch the peculiarities of those compositions.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Lisztianwagner

More Rachmaninov:

Sergei Rachmaninov
Piano Concerto No.2
J.S. Bach: Partita for Violin Solo No.3 (arr. for piano)

Daniil Trifonov (piano)
Yannick Nézet-Séguin & Philadelphia Orchestra

Spotted Horses

Henze re
Quote from: Lisztianwagner on April 17, 2024, 01:22:12 PMI haven't, this is the first time I listen to Henze's symphonies. Thank you for the suggestion anyway, I'll try to look for Henze's own recordings too, listening to the composer interpreting his own works is an excellent way to catch the peculiarities of those compositions.

Henze recorded the first six symphonies for DG. There was a cd box set that has gone out of print, but it was reissued by brilliant classics. There is another larger DG box set with other works beyond the symphonies.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Symphonic Addict

Melartin: String Quartet No. 3 in E-flat major

This is the only recording available (thank God rather good) of this piece (the channel has the other three quartets as well). On the strength of how marvelous, tuneful, inventive this work is, I wonder why record labels haven't tackled it yet along with the other three. Some passages are suffused with a rustic touch that reminded me of Dvorak.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Karl Henning

Quote from: Madiel on April 15, 2024, 02:55:27 AMI think that one of the big problems is people assuming their experience of music is absolute. It isn't. It's contextual.
Yes, indeed!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: Spotted Horses on April 16, 2024, 08:24:11 AMI'm not sure how that would work. The Spitfire was a single-seat aircraft. You pay £1000+ and you fly it yourself? Do you regular see them fly toward the coast and not come back? :)
That would be a helluva "rumble seat!"
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: mahler10th on April 16, 2024, 08:45:06 AMThe Karl Henning Ensemble
Live streamed from Kings Chapel, Boston

Quite a showcase of Karls music!  How fortunate we are to have such a thoughtful Composer in our midst.
Live Concert
Warm thanks for your kind listening and gracious words!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 16, 2024, 09:37:09 AMListened to some of the live performances today from the Karl Henning ensemble.  Alas, there was a combo of a bit of a weird echo plus couldn't hear the performers' comments about the works very well.  :(

Liked that they opened up with the fuchsia work which I quite enjoy.  :)

PD
Many thanks! The good news is that we have video and audio documents of the concert, so soon I have a project to get the program hoist up to YT in a pristine version.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

foxandpeng

Dmitry Shostakovich
Symphonies
Symphony 8
Rudolf Barshai
WDR Sinfonieorchester
Brilliant Classics

"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Symphonic Addict

This work by Malipiero is quite beautiful and reflective in mood.

Noam Chomsky